Hey all, since the beta is over now we have closed down the beta specific forums. Don't freak out if you can't see it, it's not a glitch:)

Cheers,
jennywaboom
Hey all!

We've just implemented a new version of our old forum ranks!

The new "Idle Villager" rank has some slightly limited abilities here in the forums, and they cannot post discussions or do things like post links or set a signature on their posts. When you have commented 3 times you'll reach the rank of "Scout Cavalry" and gain all the usual posting abilities! This is to help combat spam, and should not affect most of you, as you have likely already posted more than 5 times and have a higher rank:)

Check out the list of ranks here: https://forums.ageofempires.com/discussion/15139/forum-rank-system/p1?new=1

Bought a long time ago from GFWL. Doesn't work anymore. Help?

Suzaku4489Suzaku4489 Member ✭Idle Villager✭

I had a sudden urge to play this game again, but whenever I try to play it, I get an "Initialization Failed" error. Is there some way to get around this error? Or is the only way to get it working again is to spend another $40 for a game I already own?

Comments

• rhrmnrhrmn USAMember, Insider ✭Knight✭
    edited August 2017

@Suzaku4489 said:
    I had a sudden urge to play this game again, but whenever I try to play it, I get an "Initialization Failed" error. Is there some way to get around this error? Or is the only way to get it working again is to spend another $40 for a game I already own?

Keep an eye out for Steam sales on Age of Empires III: Complete Collection. It is often on sale for 10 USD or less. The other option is participate in this month's Wololo Wednesday contest for a chance at winning a Steam key for the game and also any other item on the prize list.

• EaglemutEaglemut Member ✭Ox Cart✭

@Suzaku4489
    Fix for failed initialization:

• Open Control Panel
    • Programs
    • "Turn Windows features on or off"
    • Open folder called Legacy Components
    • Toggle DirectPlay
  • Suzaku4489Suzaku4489 Member ✭Idle Villager✭

@Eaglemut
    That fixed it! Thank you very much!

• rhrmnrhrmn USAMember, Insider ✭Knight✭

Sorry, made a mistake.

• ElGoorfElGoorf Member, Insider ✭Scout Cavalry✭

I have this same issue, but I don't have it downloaded/installed, and it doesn't appear on GFWL any more. Were can I legally redownload it from without having to pay for it again?