Hey all!

We've just implemented a new version of our old forum ranks!

The new "Idle Villager" rank has some slightly limited abilities here in the forums, and they cannot post discussions or do things like post links or set a signature on their posts. When you have commented 3 times you'll reach the rank of "Scout Cavalry" and gain all the usual posting abilities! This is to help combat spam, and should not affect most of you, as you have likely already posted more than 5 times and have a higher rank:)

Check out the list of ranks here: https://forums.ageofempires.com/discussion/15139/forum-rank-system/p1?new=1

Chat won't work and jam the game

FreedonianArrowFreedonianArrow Member, Insider ✭Scout Cavalry✭

The option to won't work for me but only in certain situations

a) when I open a lobby and call it first a name (when openning a lobby without naming it the chat works)
b) about 30-40 min in game the chat stops working

in both situations the attempt to chat causes the game to freez and only by pressing the "Windows" key the game goes on (not the chat option though)

It might be caused by my low Internet speed or perhaps by my internet provider (which is filtered)

But I don't really know why the problem happens so any advise will be appriciated!

Comments

• SKWellZzSKWellZz Member ✭Scout Cavalry✭

i have same problem, in da game i can type chat just for one time and "enter" then if i press enter, chat screen appears but if i type any key game freez, and i need to use windows key to game continue..

• BioOrcBioOrc Member ✭Scout Cavalry✭

Having the same issue :/

• TheHadchipsTheHadchips Member ✭Idle Villager✭

Same issue here. Once in game, you can chat once and every time after it freezes until you do windows button or alt+tab out and back in...

• Ne1V1eSisNe1V1eSis Member, Insider ✭Idle Villager✭

I am having the same issue. The moment I try to chat in a lobby or in game, the game freezes. Alt+tab makes the game work, but the chat simply doesn't work. basically, the chat functions like a weird "pause" button, that freezes the game.

• JosephC64JosephC64 Member ✭Ox Cart✭

Happened once to me. Fixed after restarting the game.

• CannedJuggler36CannedJuggler36 Member ✭Idle Villager✭

I have tried many things and still getting this error? I opened a case with MS, but still no word.
    Restarting the game didn't do anything.

• mc0134mc0134 Member ✭Scout Cavalry✭

In single player mode, I get to use the chat box to enter one cheat code. When I open the chat box again to try to enter additional cheat codes, the box is there but won't let me type anything and game freezes. Have to minimize game or alt+tab out of game and back and then press F3 to get game back to keep working.

Guess I'm not the only one having this issue but hopefully Microsoft fixes this issue. Game was working fine before but it happened after some kind of windows update, I don't know what!

Age of empires is a nice game otherwise.

• BlamedFlower4BlamedFlower4 Member ✭Idle Villager✭

i can't build a dock , Age of Empires: Definitive Edition ?

• PenelinfiPenelinfi Member, Insider ✭Crossbowman✭

You need to give more info.

Just so you know, you cannot build a dock if the water is deep water terrain (darkest blue)

• Anexpor299Anexpor299 Member ✭Scout Cavalry✭

i have facing same issue when typing something on chat game freezes wtf?

• kRanki1kRanki1 Member ✭Idle Villager✭

same. what a joke.

• Player769976572Player769976572 Member ✭Idle Villager✭

@mc0134 said:
    In single player mode, I get to use the chat box to enter one cheat code. When I open the chat box again to try to enter additional cheat codes, the box is there but won't let me type anything and game freezes. Have to minimize game or alt+tab out of game and back and then press F3 to get game back to keep working.

Guess I'm not the only one having this issue but hopefully Microsoft fixes this issue. Game was working fine before but it happened after some kind of windows update, I don't know what!

exact after the upgrade to Windows 10 April 2018

• Compjunkie53Compjunkie53 Member ✭Idle Villager✭

Yes this is a problem I am also experiencing. I don't have the issue with the extended version just this definitive edition from the Microsoft store.

• EightSet8871581EightSet8871581 Member ✭Scout Cavalry✭

Even I have the same problem. How to report this to MS?

• LangtuKQSLangtuKQS Member ✭Idle Villager✭

I have the same problem. And it is after upgrading windows 10 to Spring Creator (April 2018).

• rhrmnrhrmn USA Member, Moderator, Insider mod

@EightSet8871581 said:
    Even I have the same problem. How to report this to MS?

Hi @EightSet8871581, Follow the instructions here to report your problem to the AoE:DE team.

• Pham VietPham Viet Member ✭Idle Villager✭

I have same problem. This problem appeared after updated Windows April 2018

I see this issue already present in feedback hub. Please upvote for those.

The forum does not allow me to put links. So have put the headings below which can be searched in Feedback hub.

"Age of Empires DE chat issue"

"Age of Empires Definitive Edition cannot send chat more than once."

• BunRieuCuaBoBunRieuCuaBo Member ✭Idle Villager✭

@mc0134 said:

same issue

• ArchFuzzball41ArchFuzzball41 Member ✭Idle Villager✭

Same issue here, really pissing me off

• deyu23deyu23 Member, Insider ✭Idle Villager✭

Same here :neutral: if someone can solve this problem, give me a sign, Thank you

• RustyGlitter311RustyGlitter311 Member ✭Idle Villager✭

Add me to the list. Just like everyone else, it was after the Windows update.

• DevvadaDevvada Member, Insider ✭Idle Villager✭

Same thing for me, please how resolve this problem ?

• xCaptainSparrowxCaptainSparrow Member ✭Idle Villager✭

Pham VietPham Viet Member ✭Idle Villager✭
    May 6
    I have same problem. This problem appeared after updated Windows April 2018

Flag Quote · Insightful Disagree 1Agree

LOL

Since the last update for windows 10 introducing new feautures like screwing your games, performance uhh your whole brand new laptop with high specs. After this update my svchost went from +/- 3% to 25%. When starting up it sometimes reached 100% but mostly 65% at starting up and eventually decrease to 25%.
    What the hell are they doing there at microsoft, and ofcoure i had this freeze problem when pressing enter.
    I know you cheaters don't like the game anymore.. can only use 1 cheat and that's it. Well fine, i cheat as well and what helped for me was using a previous version of microsoft by going to recovery. Now my laptop is back to it's previous version and my cpu is back again at +/-3% and the freezing problem is over now while I have the latest version of AoE DE. I really don't know exactly when this problem occured... i believe it was April/May update anyway probably the latest one which screws everything. Thank you microsoft for these **** updates!

• DelicatePoet8DelicatePoet8 Member ✭Idle Villager✭

HI ALL. go to AoEDE.exe properties. change compatibility to Windows7. It does working :D

• DelicatePoet8DelicatePoet8 Member ✭Idle Villager✭

only work one time :(

• DanzemonDanzemon Canberra AustraliaMember, Insider ✭Scout Cavalry✭

@mc0134 said:

I am experiencing this issue as well after I recently updated to Windows 10 1803.

• PCS70PCS70 NLMember, Insider ✭Musketeer✭

The developers won't have to hurry at all about the need of making those little changes and bugfixes for the community. MS will introduce huge ones for them about every 6 months again and again. :smiley:

Today I observed that we cannot even save the game after this chat has jammed the game. Awful release by Microsoft. Anyone has any idea when this will get fixed by MS?

• DevvadaDevvada Member, Insider ✭Idle Villager✭

Hello, everyone

The bug of the cat is still relevant, I wrote an email support but I did not get an answer. Does anyone know if the bug will soon be fixed