Hey all!

We've just implemented a new version of our old forum ranks!

The new "Idle Villager" rank has some slightly limited abilities here in the forums, and they cannot post discussions or do things like post links or set a signature on their posts. When you have commented 3 times you'll reach the rank of "Scout Cavalry" and gain all the usual posting abilities! This is to help combat spam, and should not affect most of you, as you have likely already posted more than 5 times and have a higher rank:)

Check out the list of ranks here: https://forums.ageofempires.com/discussion/15139/forum-rank-system/p1?new=1

What is your preferred player color?

Pan CalvusPan Calvus Member, Insider ✭Musketeer✭
edited March 19 in General Discussion

Just for fun. Let's see if there are any great favorites. If you have a reason please share. If you have a cool, fun or special reason (color blindness, civs or units that look good in it, memories of that one girl in 6th grade) please please share.

You can also name color preferences for say aoe1 if you want to, since it has a different list.

I like green because, well, I like green, plus on the minimap it strikes a balance between being visible to me but not overly attention drawing to other players. I dig the look of units with orange highlights as well.

(EDIT: Oh right, polls have colored options. This looks fun and not confusing at all. Unfortunately I can no longer change the poll, or I could match them up.)

What is your preferred player color? 16 votes

Blue
12%
Trav434Luis Miquilena 2 votes
Red
18%
AugustusmanIamDalvPeakAtom6307725 3 votes
Green
18%
EdmondDantesnottudwillPan Calvus 3 votes
Yellow
12%
QaexHatlessVermin99 2 votes
Orange
12%
EininfarDingierMold01 2 votes
Purple
0%
Teal
6%
XIVdarkdays 1 vote
Grey
12%
WizenedGuardianDaGamerFiles 2 votes
No preference
6%
UnknownMortal 1 vote
I've got a mod and my color is...
0%

Comments

• IamDalvIamDalv Member, Insider ✭Ox Cart✭
    Red

I always use Alt + G (friend or foe colors) which makes me blue, enemies red and allies yellow. Only exception is waters maps, where I can't see my water units on minimap if they are blue, in that case I try to pick red and not use friend or foe colors.

• EininfarEininfar Member, Insider ✭Ox Cart✭
    Orange

Mostly Orange, but I'll use Red and Gray just as often. Depends on my race. Teutons= Red or Gray, Indians and Japanese= Orange. Turks go green.

• Trav434Trav434 Member ✭Scout Cavalry✭
    Blue

definitely blue or cyan or any color that stands out on the map

• UnknownMortalUnknownMortal Member ✭Ox Cart✭
    No preference

I don't have preference but i dont like the grey color because this color disappear on the map

• Seien RnRSeien RnR Member ✭Scout Cavalry✭

I don't have a particular preference, I usually move away from green on grassy maps. It can be hard to see.. Hmm, maybe I should be green..

• Luis MiquilenaLuis Miquilena Member ✭Scout Cavalry✭
    Blue

Depends on the scenario but i prefer blue.

• DingierMold01DingierMold01 Member, Insider ✭Scout Cavalry✭
    Orange

usually the orange is the my preference, ora yellow or classic blue

• EdmondDantesEdmondDantes Member ✭Scout Cavalry✭
    edited May 19
    Green

Speaking of colors, why did the ability to set AI colors however you choose get removed? It was once possible for AoE II. It auto-sets their colors now. Would like to have the ability back.

PS: There should be a color wheel of colors and intensities to allow us to choose from thousands or millions of colors; if not for all games, then at least for single-player games and multi-player games when friends vs. AI opponents. (And for multi-player games vs. humans, at least 15-20 colors to choose from would be nice.)

I'm not color blind, but would appreciate these things. It seems like color blind players could benefit greatly from a wider variety of colors to choose from and the ability to change AI player colors however they want.

• QaexQaex Quebec, CANMember, Insider ✭Scout Cavalry✭
    Yellow

Yellow on AOE 1, fits better with babylonia, my fave civ of this franchise.
    Yellow on AOE 2, fits better with japanese, my fave civ of this franchise.

If not, brown and purple come in second.

• PeakAtom6307725PeakAtom6307725 Member ✭Idle Villager✭
    Red

Red

usually the red is the my preference.

• HatlessVermin99HatlessVermin99 Member ✭Scout Cavalry✭
    Yellow

Yellow. Always reminds me of Viper playing as the Britons!