Community Forums

New Civs?

LangebaekLangebaek Member, Insider

Hi.
Wondering if new civs will come in the future. Maybe something fresh like Mayas, Incas or an early Vikings civ?
What civilization would you like?

Comments

• XDFantaXDFanta Member, Insider

Vikings too :hushed:

• Frintezz1Frintezz1 Member, Insider

How about Native American ?

• pate623pate623 Member, Insider ✭✭

Balancing out current civilizations should be done first.
    After it has done, could be checked what game styles are yet to be implemented. And made civilizations to fill those needs.

• Otani64Otani64 Member, Insider ✭✭✭

I don't know. There are already a lot of Civs in it, and the ones mentioned above are all not from these times. Perhaps just enhance and expand the existing ones. I would much more like to see extra units instead of extra Civs

• Mapo4114Mapo4114 Member, Insider

The presence of new civilizations would probably be out of context.
    It would be nice to see even more aesthetic characterization of the already existing civilizations (even units).

• AKC_HellStrikerAKC_HellStriker Member, Insider ✭✭✭

I don't think they should add more civs. It will only make balancing of the game more difficult. It would of course be really cool, but if it turns out to be really imbalanced, then nah.

• Otani64Otani64 Member, Insider ✭✭✭

Agreed, I think it will be a lot easier to balance extra units instead of extra Civs

• qweytr24qweytr24 Member, Insider ✭✭✭

@MisguidedMonk54 said:
    It it a remake! Which means that the only things that they are going to change are 1) Graphics 2)Music and generally sound 3) algorithms 4) small balance changes

It does not necessarily mean that. There were many new civilizations added in AoE2 as well.

• MisguidedMonk54MisguidedMonk54 Athens, GreeceMember, Insider ✭✭✭

@qweytr24 said:

@MisguidedMonk54 said:
    It it a remake! Which means that the only things that they are going to change are 1) Graphics 2)Music and generally sound 3) algorithms 4) small balance changes

It does not necessarily mean that. There were many new civilizations added in AoE2 as well.

I can not see your point AoE2 was a new game Definitive Edition is a remake. Also, this is what the creative director of Microsoft Studios said.

@MisguidedMonk54 said:

I can not see your point AoE2 was a new game Definitive Edition is a remake. Also, this is what the creative director of Microsoft Studios said.

What does that video tell about new civilizations? The changes they have shown us are already much bigger than those between AoE2 Conquerors and the original release of AoE2 HD, so I don't think new civilizations are out of question here either.

• MisguidedMonk54MisguidedMonk54 Athens, GreeceMember, Insider ✭✭✭

@qweytr24 said:

@MisguidedMonk54 said:

What does that video tell about new civilizations? The changes they have shown us are already much bigger than those between AoE2 Conquerors and the original release of AoE2 HD, so I don't think new civilizations are out of question here either.

OK. We will learn soon enough :smiley:

• Laurens BMLaurens BM Member, Insider ✭✭

@qweytr24 said:
    There were no Incas or Vikings during the AoE1 time period. Instead of those, I'd like to see Germans and Celts and the Vedic civilization added. If you want new world civs, perhaps also Mayans and Olmecs.

I would like to see more hellenic Civilisations.

@Laurens BM said:

@qweytr24 said:
    There were no Incas or Vikings during the AoE1 time period. Instead of those, I'd like to see Germans and Celts and the Vedic civilization added. If you want new world civs, perhaps also Mayans and Olmecs.

What exactly? I think Greece and Macedon are plenty already, while all of India has nothing.

@qweytr24 said:

@Laurens BM said:

@qweytr24 said:

What exactly? I think Greece and Macedon are plenty already, while all of India has nothing.

I'am just a huge van of hellenic empires, but maybe you are right. But I don't like the idea of adding civs like the Mayas, because in my opinion that civs have nothing to do with our history.

They could add Maurya for India.

• Reikunrun0922Reikunrun0922 Member, Insider

I say work on balancing the civilizations that were in the base game and ROR. After that, adding more civilizations should probably be done as an expansion or DLC later on.

• DaxtesoscuroDaxtesoscuro Member, Insider ✭✭
    edited June 14

@qweytr24 said:

This.

I personally would prefer not to see American bands, as they didn't had contact with any other civilization of the game.

In my opinion, Western Europe is the most underrepresentated zone, so in my opinion, if new cultures are added, there should be a pack of western europeans: celts, germans and iberians. Also and Indian band (as Mauryans) would be great, as they are one of the most ancient and interesting cultures.

• LangebaekLangebaek Member, Insider

@Daxtesoscuro said:

In my opinion, Western Europe is the most underrepresentated zone, so in my opinion, if new cultures are added, there should be a pack of western europeans: celts, germans and iberians. Also and Indian band (as Mauryans) would be great, as they are one of the most ancient and interesting cultures.

I would like to see Germans too or a North Europe civ, would be very interesting. And i agree with many of you that it should be better to add more units and content with the ones we already have.

• CaporalDxlCaporalDxl Member, Insider

I'd love to see Dacians, Scythians, Ethiopians and others. I think that in order to do that they will (hopefully) make an expansion or two, like the Forgotten Empires team made for AoE 2 HD. :)

• fokrianfokrian Member

Well, the first game had 16 civilizations, and all of them had something unique to them.
    While i wholeheartedly agree, that more civilizations would be great(personally I'd like to see the huns), The ones we already have should be balanced out and it definitely isn't simple.

P.S.: I think that 16 civilizations is more than enough.

• TyrannohotepTyrannohotep Member, Insider

I'd like to see the kingdom of Kush (aka Nubia) added. They would make logical competitors for the Egyptian civilization. Maybe Aksumite Ethiopia too, unless that's too much overlap with the "African Kingdoms" expansion pack for AoE II: HD.

• ABetterBadgerABetterBadger Member, Insider ✭✭
    edited June 14

@Mapo4114 said:
    It would be nice to see even more aesthetic characterization of the already existing civilizations (even units).

Agreed on this. For instance, I'd love to see Yamato Broad Swordsman not looking so dang Greek, and instead looking, uh, Japanese.

because I'm a **** weeaboo, that's why!

• AmphiprionAmphiprion FranceMember, Insider ✭✭✭

150 civ like aoe2 HD (goth and spain / porto /italians is so unlogical). Much better too add more unit skin than create an infinite number of civ.

• TyrannohotepTyrannohotep Member, Insider

@ABetterBadger said:

@Mapo4114 said:

Agreed on this. For instance, I'd love to see Yamato Broad Swordsman not looking so dang Greek, and instead looking, uh, Japanese.

because I'm a **** weaboo, that's why!

I feel the same about graphical diversity with regards to the units. It is a bit silly seeing ancient Egyptians fight with Greek-looking units. Hopefully this could be patched or modded in if it isn't taken care of before release.

• ABetterBadgerABetterBadger Member, Insider ✭✭
    edited June 14

@Tyrannohotep said:

I feel the same about graphical diversity with regards to the units. It is a bit silly seeing ancient Egyptians fight with Greek-looking units. Hopefully this could be patched or modded in if it isn't taken care of before release.

Still, it's not a small request. AT ALL... I'm sure it was a metric [redacted]-ton of work to make the graphics they've made so far, and this would be 4x that amount of extra work, if every unit had five varieties, the way that every building does. (Greek, Egyptian, Babylonian, East Asian, and Roman)

So it's a huge thing to ask from the devs, and it's a downright silly thing to expect any modder to do in their spare time, although there are certainly modders out there crazy enough to do something like that. But it would take forever and the quality might not be the best.

• BimodalFlame30BimodalFlame30 Member
    edited June 14

I would love to have many types of civ so that experience during the game would not outside monotonous in long run

@Tyrannohotep said:

@ABetterBadger said:

@Mapo4114 said:

because I'm a **** weaboo, that's why!

I hope that the devs will do this, it's much more historical correct.

@CaporalDxl said:
    I'd love to see Dacians, Scythians, Ethiopians and others. I think that in order to do that they will (hopefully) make an expansion or two, like the Forgotten Empires team made for AoE 2 HD. :)

Acient Carthage would be nice too :)

@Laurens BM said:

@CaporalDxl said:

Acient Carthage would be nice too :)

Carthage has been there since RoR