Age of Empires Online, forgotten by Microsoft?

Microsoft, you don't ever seem to mention/care about this game anymore, why?

FYI AoEO is not dead ( Project Celeste )

«1

Answers

  • MajorPectoralisMajorPectoralis Member, Insider ✭✭

    Woah, did fans really create their own servers?

  • AugustusmanAugustusman Member ✭✭✭✭

    Better than DE.

  • PCS70PCS70 NLMember, Insider ✭✭✭
    edited October 12

    Remarkable fact, they even didn't mention anything about it in the released promo video about the history of AOE. Let's hope Windows 10 and their Windows Store doesn't end up the same. Windows Phone, for which they created the store in the first place, already down the drain.

    Get those marketeers some real brains please!

  • Will10154Will10154 Member

    It was really dissapointing to see Microsoft not even mention AOEO during the AOE Anyversary celebration, such disregard and disrespect shown to the AOEO devs, Alpha and Beta testers, and the countless great gamers that made the AOEO community one of the best around.

    Microsoft should bring the Project Celeste guys in-house and relaunch AOEO, it was the best and most polished AOE game to date.

  • AltDarkWolf93AltDarkWolf93 Member, Insider

    @Augustusman said:
    Better than DE.

    I don't think so LOL.

  • CostlierParrot3CostlierParrot3 Member, Insider ✭✭✭

    @Will10154 said:
    It was really dissapointing to see Microsoft not even mention AOEO during the AOE Anyversary celebration, such disregard and disrespect shown to the AOEO devs, Alpha and Beta testers, and the countless great gamers that made the AOEO community one of the best around.

    Microsoft should bring the Project Celeste guys in-house and relaunch AOEO, it was the best and most polished AOE game to date.

    I would not say too strongly that AoEo was the most beautiful game of the AoE franchise. We say that of the series, it was not the best. A cute game, but it does not compare with AoE 2/3.

  • Will10154Will10154 Member

    @CostlierParrot3 said:

    @Will10154 said:
    It was really dissapointing to see Microsoft not even mention AOEO during the AOE Anyversary celebration, such disregard and disrespect shown to the AOEO devs, Alpha and Beta testers, and the countless great gamers that made the AOEO community one of the best around.

    Microsoft should bring the Project Celeste guys in-house and relaunch AOEO, it was the best and most polished AOE game to date.

    I would not say too strongly that AoEo was the most beautiful game of the AoE franchise. We say that of the series, it was not the best. A cute game, but it does not compare with AoE 2/3.

    I would have to disagree with that; once you look past the cartoony art style, the gameplay and the depth of the game goes well beyond AOE 2 or 3;
    AOEO had truly unique civs and very different tech trees for each, not simply one castle unit being different along with few techs;
    The Home City aspects with crafting gear, etc also added a lot to the game and the comminity feel together with great co-op missions is unrivalled in any other AOE game;
    Overall IMO AOEO took AOE gameplay to a whole new level, the problem was many AOE veterans did not even want to try it because of their bias against the art style, which I think was a big mistake on their part as they missed a great game.

    Its is unfortunate that the game was so terribly mismanaged by the devs from a monetary stand point;

  • CostlierParrot3CostlierParrot3 Member, Insider ✭✭✭

    @Will10154 said:

    @CostlierParrot3 said:

    @Will10154 said:
    It was really dissapointing to see Microsoft not even mention AOEO during the AOE Anyversary celebration, such disregard and disrespect shown to the AOEO devs, Alpha and Beta testers, and the countless great gamers that made the AOEO community one of the best around.

    Microsoft should bring the Project Celeste guys in-house and relaunch AOEO, it was the best and most polished AOE game to date.

    I would not say too strongly that AoEo was the most beautiful game of the AoE franchise. We say that of the series, it was not the best. A cute game, but it does not compare with AoE 2/3.

    I would have to disagree with that; once you look past the cartoony art style, the gameplay and the depth of the game goes well beyond AOE 2 or 3;
    AOEO had truly unique civs and very different tech trees for each, not simply one castle unit being different along with few techs;
    The Home City aspects with crafting gear, etc also added a lot to the game and the comminity feel together with great co-op missions is unrivalled in any other AOE game;
    Overall IMO AOEO took AOE gameplay to a whole new level, the problem was many AOE veterans did not even want to try it because of their bias against the art style, which I think was a big mistake on their part as they missed a great game.

    Its is unfortunate that the game was so terribly mismanaged by the devs from a monetary stand point;

    As far as I'm concerned, the AoEO problem was not the cartoon graphics. The graphics were nice. AoEO did not like the old franchise fans. And, again, not for graphics! The game has lost depths over the previous series ... They added the ability to build tools and store materials .. (could be cute, but it certainly did not fit a game AoE) !! Old-fashioned Ifans regret the deep strategy! AoEO was a cluster of units that followed the rock-paper-scissor rule! zero strategy! talk about co-op as if it were the God on earth: AoE2 and AoE3 have had multiplayer modes with more user concentration! In AoE Online, the player was more focused on finding equipment and how to equip a unit than to plan a strategy at best! have simplified the game! AoEo civilizations were well-balanced, it is true ... but maybe you have not thoroughly studied the civilizations of AoE3. Which civilization of AoE3 did you play the most ??

  • CostlierParrot3CostlierParrot3 Member, Insider ✭✭✭

    @Will10154 said:

    @CostlierParrot3 said:

    @Will10154 said:
    It was really dissapointing to see Microsoft not even mention AOEO during the AOE Anyversary celebration, such disregard and disrespect shown to the AOEO devs, Alpha and Beta testers, and the countless great gamers that made the AOEO community one of the best around.

    Microsoft should bring the Project Celeste guys in-house and relaunch AOEO, it was the best and most polished AOE game to date.

    I would not say too strongly that AoEo was the most beautiful game of the AoE franchise. We say that of the series, it was not the best. A cute game, but it does not compare with AoE 2/3.

    I would have to disagree with that; once you look past the cartoony art style, the gameplay and the depth of the game goes well beyond AOE 2 or 3;
    AOEO had truly unique civs and very different tech trees for each, not simply one castle unit being different along with few techs;
    The Home City aspects with crafting gear, etc also added a lot to the game and the comminity feel together with great co-op missions is unrivalled in any other AOE game;
    Overall IMO AOEO took AOE gameplay to a whole new level, the problem was many AOE veterans did not even want to try it because of their bias against the art style, which I think was a big mistake on their part as they missed a great game.

    Its is unfortunate that the game was so terribly mismanaged by the devs from a monetary stand point;

    I know you put the sign on the button very easily: "I disagree". We're just discussing. In my opinion, it is not necessary to put "I disagree" with every comment. I do not think it is constructive to make the war of "I disagree" .... we could discuss and respect our affirmations anyway. do you agree?

  • Will10154Will10154 Member

    @CostlierParrot3 said:

    @Will10154 said:

    @CostlierParrot3 said:

    @Will10154 said:
    It was really dissapointing to see Microsoft not even mention AOEO during the AOE Anyversary celebration, such disregard and disrespect shown to the AOEO devs, Alpha and Beta testers, and the countless great gamers that made the AOEO community one of the best around.

    Microsoft should bring the Project Celeste guys in-house and relaunch AOEO, it was the best and most polished AOE game to date.

    I would not say too strongly that AoEo was the most beautiful game of the AoE franchise. We say that of the series, it was not the best. A cute game, but it does not compare with AoE 2/3.

    I would have to disagree with that; once you look past the cartoony art style, the gameplay and the depth of the game goes well beyond AOE 2 or 3;
    AOEO had truly unique civs and very different tech trees for each, not simply one castle unit being different along with few techs;
    The Home City aspects with crafting gear, etc also added a lot to the game and the comminity feel together with great co-op missions is unrivalled in any other AOE game;
    Overall IMO AOEO took AOE gameplay to a whole new level, the problem was many AOE veterans did not even want to try it because of their bias against the art style, which I think was a big mistake on their part as they missed a great game.

    Its is unfortunate that the game was so terribly mismanaged by the devs from a monetary stand point;

    I know you put the sign on the button very easily: "I disagree". We're just discussing. In my opinion, it is not necessary to put "I disagree" with every comment. I do not think it is constructive to make the war of "I disagree" .... we could discuss and respect our affirmations anyway. do you agree?

    I respect your opinion, but instead of writing another post saying, I disagree with your opinion I just used the features the forums provide, I thought that was appropriate. I did not neccessarily had much else to add;

    In regards to your earlier question about AOE 3; its been years since i played it last, from what I recall I played the British civ quite a bit.

  • CostlierParrot3CostlierParrot3 Member, Insider ✭✭✭

    @Will10154 said:

    @CostlierParrot3 said:

    @Will10154 said:

    @CostlierParrot3 said:

    @Will10154 said:
    It was really dissapointing to see Microsoft not even mention AOEO during the AOE Anyversary celebration, such disregard and disrespect shown to the AOEO devs, Alpha and Beta testers, and the countless great gamers that made the AOEO community one of the best around.

    Microsoft should bring the Project Celeste guys in-house and relaunch AOEO, it was the best and most polished AOE game to date.

    I would not say too strongly that AoEo was the most beautiful game of the AoE franchise. We say that of the series, it was not the best. A cute game, but it does not compare with AoE 2/3.

    I would have to disagree with that; once you look past the cartoony art style, the gameplay and the depth of the game goes well beyond AOE 2 or 3;
    AOEO had truly unique civs and very different tech trees for each, not simply one castle unit being different along with few techs;
    The Home City aspects with crafting gear, etc also added a lot to the game and the comminity feel together with great co-op missions is unrivalled in any other AOE game;
    Overall IMO AOEO took AOE gameplay to a whole new level, the problem was many AOE veterans did not even want to try it because of their bias against the art style, which I think was a big mistake on their part as they missed a great game.

    Its is unfortunate that the game was so terribly mismanaged by the devs from a monetary stand point;

    I know you put the sign on the button very easily: "I disagree". We're just discussing. In my opinion, it is not necessary to put "I disagree" with every comment. I do not think it is constructive to make the war of "I disagree" .... we could discuss and respect our affirmations anyway. do you agree?

    I respect your opinion, but instead of writing another post saying, I disagree with your opinion I just used the features the forums provide, I thought that was appropriate. I did not neccessarily had much else to add;

    In regards to your earlier question about AOE 3; its been years since i played it last, from what I recall I played the British civ quite a bit.

    ok, I agree that you have used the functionality of the forum, but try to think if for any comment you just have to click on "I'm not / agree" ... At the end a user is with a ton of click without however finding a minimum discussion / why.

  • Will10154Will10154 Member

    @CostlierParrot3 said:

    @Will10154 said:

    @CostlierParrot3 said:

    @Will10154 said:

    @CostlierParrot3 said:

    @Will10154 said:
    It was really dissapointing to see Microsoft not even mention AOEO during the AOE Anyversary celebration, such disregard and disrespect shown to the AOEO devs, Alpha and Beta testers, and the countless great gamers that made the AOEO community one of the best around.

    Microsoft should bring the Project Celeste guys in-house and relaunch AOEO, it was the best and most polished AOE game to date.

    I would not say too strongly that AoEo was the most beautiful game of the AoE franchise. We say that of the series, it was not the best. A cute game, but it does not compare with AoE 2/3.

    I would have to disagree with that; once you look past the cartoony art style, the gameplay and the depth of the game goes well beyond AOE 2 or 3;
    AOEO had truly unique civs and very different tech trees for each, not simply one castle unit being different along with few techs;
    The Home City aspects with crafting gear, etc also added a lot to the game and the comminity feel together with great co-op missions is unrivalled in any other AOE game;
    Overall IMO AOEO took AOE gameplay to a whole new level, the problem was many AOE veterans did not even want to try it because of their bias against the art style, which I think was a big mistake on their part as they missed a great game.

    Its is unfortunate that the game was so terribly mismanaged by the devs from a monetary stand point;

    I know you put the sign on the button very easily: "I disagree". We're just discussing. In my opinion, it is not necessary to put "I disagree" with every comment. I do not think it is constructive to make the war of "I disagree" .... we could discuss and respect our affirmations anyway. do you agree?

    I respect your opinion, but instead of writing another post saying, I disagree with your opinion I just used the features the forums provide, I thought that was appropriate. I did not neccessarily had much else to add;

    In regards to your earlier question about AOE 3; its been years since i played it last, from what I recall I played the British civ quite a bit.

    ok, I agree that you have used the functionality of the forum, but try to think if for any comment you just have to click on "I'm not / agree" ... At the end a user is with a ton of click without however finding a minimum discussion / why.

    Not really sure what you are getting at; if you simply want to say you disagree with a certain opinion but don't have anything else to add to the conversation then the button should be sufficient; right?

  • CostlierParrot3CostlierParrot3 Member, Insider ✭✭✭

    well, but there will be a reason if you do not agree. I do not always say an explanation, but on 2 posts, one behind the other, you clicked "I disagree". Of course, the button is special, but I was thinking of finding a why. It will mean that if you have a post, I have nothing to add, and I do not think like you, I will click "I disagree" without even arguing. Good day.

  • Andy PAndy P Member, Moderator mod
    edited November 8

    I've yet to meet someone who both criticizes AoEO and played it after June of 2012, which is when they fixed its launch problems. It's a very complex game. The Civs are so, so, so much deeper than AoE2's cookie cutter Civs. It's weird to see someone say the game is simple. It's almost as if that person never played it. There are arguments against it that could be made. But that it requires zero strategy is not one of them.

  • CostlierParrot3CostlierParrot3 Member, Insider ✭✭✭

    @Andy P said:
    I've yet to meet someone who both criticizes AoEO and played it after June of 2012, which is when they fixed its launch problems. It's a very complex game. The Civs are so, so, so much deeper than AoE2's cookie cutter Civs. It's weird to see someone say the game is simple. It's almost as if that person never played it. There are arguments against it that could be made. But that it requires zero strategy is not one of them.

    hi andy. I played AoEo until the last day. In all, I'll play 400 hours. I was a beta tester, coming to Tier 5 in PvP (always in beta) clashes. I got in with Greek civilization. Then I brought the Celtic civilization to the fullest. I played with the Persians (immorate them!), Finally with the Norwegians. I would also have taken Roman civilization if she had done it in time to go out. The Egyptians did not like it, but I also played with them. I still have the photos of the games played in the Marion map in legendary mode (the one where there is time to go, remember?) And I managed to do other things legendary missions at predetermined times. AoEo's civilizations were much deeper than those of AoE2. But the civilizations of AoE3 have nothing to envy (peronal opinion of course). AoEo was a well-made game, and cartoon graphics were not bad, indeed enjoyable! Compared to the previous series (AoE 1-2-3), they included elements that did not give a strategic depth to the game: for example, the search for weapons / armor and its construction with the appropriate materials. These elements are CASUAL! and they add nothing to the strategy of the game! When did the AoE series head to that style of play? This did not please me. Still a nice game. But certainly not the best of the series, because as I explained to you the previous series focuses on a different style: the ability to form units in chapter AoE2 (this is what's a strategy); AoE 3 cards have a far more strategic impact (some do not like it, but differentiate civilizations without penalizing them). And I told you only some of the strategy elements they have proposed in those games. AoEo (which should have been an AEE-style RTS game) what did he have? well-balanced civilizations; they certainly respected the paper-scissor-stone model; and then strategic? "The empire was alive 24 hours a day!" with the production of materials: is it strategy? we had not used the AoE games before.

  • CostlierParrot3CostlierParrot3 Member, Insider ✭✭✭

    It seems like I do not like AoEo. That's not so! I liked it, but do not tell me it was the best of the series. I'm considering it for what it was. Without overestimating it. And then apologize to friends, but why was it closed if even after the launching corrections (after June 2012) the game was improved ?! People will also have set aside for a while (waiting for improvements and corrections) but as AoE title, it has been resumed several times by people even after the corrections and guess who are the ones who did not like it anymore? : old-time fans. According to statistics, AoEo liked more users who did not play much in the previous chapters. With this I'm not saying all the users. There are old-age users who have appreciated it, but most of the older fans do not.

  • Andy PAndy P Member, Moderator mod
    edited November 8

    I'm not sure what statistics about AoEO players' prior history with AoE you had access to, but Ive never heard of them. I think you may be confused about why it shut down. AoE's executive producer gave a speech about this, and it is available online to watch. AoEO's biggest problem was that players who were turned off with the launch problems never returned after the game improved. Your assumption that these players returned and concluded that the game was no better than before isn't supported by the evidence shown on the slides in that speech.

    https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1019303/F2P-the-Wrong-Way-Age

  • PCS70PCS70 NLMember, Insider ✭✭✭

    @CostlierParrot3
    Where did you find those statistics?

    As a very old time player I've been in the beta test of AOEO from the start and I liked every bit and byte of it, also the casual elements you talk about which were optional for progressing.

    Did you know that AOEO was the first RTS game with wearable upgradable gear?

    It takes a lot of courage to reinvent your own wheel.

  • CostlierParrot3CostlierParrot3 Member, Insider ✭✭✭
    edited November 8

    @PCS70 said:
    @CostlierParrot3
    Where did you find those statistics?

    As a very old time player I've been in the beta test of AOEO from the start and I liked every bit and byte of it, also the casual elements you talk about which were optional for progressing.

    Did you know that AOEO was the first RTS game with wearable upgradable gear?

    It takes a lot of courage to reinvent your own wheel.

    believe me, no courage! and honestly I'm not even interested in demolishing aoeo. nobody is paying me for that. I'm just saying my thoughts. They are not cheap: I read reviews, and comments that can be found on the internet. Over time, since they closed the servers, they talked about aoeo, and I read these statements. I'm talking about normal users; not paid reviews to say the fake. as I also read about people whom the game liked; I also liked it ... but not as a game that can be called AoE. I just ask you one thing: are you also thinking that AoEO is the best of the whole series?

  • PCS70PCS70 NLMember, Insider ✭✭✭

    @CostlierParrot3

    You are entitled to your own opinion. Also I think it failed because a lot of 'casual' players never could get over the MMO part inside it, although it was fully optional. And I can understand that some hardcore traditional AOE fans were actually shocked by this version, it was really a leap ahead in time. Really some groundbreaking work has been done there. The currently very popular MOBA RTS genre is actually based a lot on what you find in AOEO.

    The way I see it Valve with DOTA took the fruit of their work.

    To answer your question, although you didn't really answer mine. I think every version stands on it's own and that the definition of the best, the biggest and the greatest mostly depends on your personal flavor.

    All of those don't belong to mine though.

  • Andy PAndy P Member, Moderator mod
    edited November 8

    I happen to find AoEO the best in the series. It's also pretty rough around the edges and particularly difficult for an outsider to jump into and find their way on their own. Leveling up Civs and navigating the game through various questgivers and jumping around to cities is super clunky. But as far as pvp gameplay, AoEO crushes the others, in my subjective opinion. And the civ design is brilliant. The deeper I look at those Civs, the more nuance I find. Swoon.

    After they shut it down, I tried going back to AoM and AoE2. I found them very poor substitutes.

  • CostlierParrot3CostlierParrot3 Member, Insider ✭✭✭

    @PCS70 said:
    @CostlierParrot3
    Where did you find those statistics?

    As a very old time player I've been in the beta test of AOEO from the start and I liked every bit and byte of it, also the casual elements you talk about which were optional for progressing.

    Did you know that AOEO was the first RTS game with wearable upgradable gear?

    It takes a lot of courage to reinvent your own wheel.

    @Andy P said:
    I happen to find AoEO the best in the series. It's also pretty rough around the edges and particularly difficult for an outsider to jump into and find their way on their own. Leveling up Civs and navigating the game through various questgivers and jumping around to cities is super clunky. But as far as pvp gameplay, AoEO crushes the others, in my subjective opinion. And the civ design is brilliant. The deeper I look at those Civs, the more nuance I find. Swoon.

    After they shut it down, I tried going back to AoM and AoE2. I found them very poor substitutes.

    Of course, I knew that aoeo was the first RTS game with wearable and upgradable equipment. Honestly, these moba and mmo elements that you are talking about, I did not appreciate them in an AoE game. Beware, I did not say it's not a nice game! I said that the innovation of those elements in the AoE series, secondly, did not work well. However, I fully respect your ideas, and I'm glad to be confronted with you! as you said, depends very much on your own taste!

  • Will10154Will10154 Member

    @Andy P said:
    I happen to find AoEO the best in the series. It's also pretty rough around the edges and particularly difficult for an outsider to jump into and find their way on their own. Leveling up Civs and navigating the game through various questgivers and jumping around to cities is super clunky. But as far as pvp gameplay, AoEO crushes the others, in my subjective opinion. And the civ design is brilliant. The deeper I look at those Civs, the more nuance I find. Swoon.

    After they shut it down, I tried going back to AoM and AoE2. I found them very poor substitutes.

    Completely agree with you; after playing AOEO from early Beta until its demise and especially playing lot of co-op quests with friends, running my own free crafting service for the community and interacting with a lot of people to gather all the best crafting recipes it is close to impossible to go back to the bland AOE2 or 3 and enjoy it after the depth and community feel AOEO offered; not to mention the much more fluent and improved pathfinding and other countless improvements from previous AOE titles.

    After MS announced thay are working on AOE 1 ,2 & 3 DE's, and AOE 4; it was rather sad to see that they are not trying to revive AOEO, especially since there is a strong community that is trying hard to bring it back to life through Project Celeste, etc...

  • PCS70PCS70 NLMember, Insider ✭✭✭

    @Will10154
    I do think that's were it all starts. A lot of good things came from forgotten games and their communities. MS will catch up with it again eventually. With the current pace it will take them until 2020 before they can start with AOE IV development.

    Yes indeed, the pathfinding works very well in that version. Actually if you get along with this version all others are quite boring to play. The only reason afaic to play the new DE versions are better graphics and 4K support, but if it results in gameplay not running smoothly it's a waste of our time and MS's money.

    Are you in need of some gold, mate? ;)

  • Jaguar775Jaguar775 Member, Insider

    The only good part of AoEO was the PvP. If they removed the leveling, crafting, and quests, it might have been a hit. The art style was great.

    RTS devs keep trying innovate but keep failing. The most popular RTS's on Steam are all old games.

    I fear for AoE4. I'm sure the devs are going to add some kind of gimmic like a card system or heroes in an attempt to keep the game "fresh." All I want is StarCraft set in ancient times.

  • PCS70PCS70 NLMember, Insider ✭✭✭

    @Jaguar775
    You have an excellent point with "If they removed the leveling etc. it might have been a hit".

  • EininfarEininfar Member, Insider ✭✭

    @Jaguar775 ; If by 'StarCraft' in ancient times you mean 'Warcraft', I would honestly be a little worried if AOE 4 turned into that. The over-emphasis on competitive play, APM and general unit handling in those titles are very different from the Age series.

    With that said, if you are curious to see what a hybrid would be like, I would point you towards the excellent yet cruelly forgotten gem, Armies of Exigo. A lot of folks have described it as a mix between the two, and they aren't too far off the mark with that. It's **** hard to find these days, but I believe it does still run with relatively little trouble on modern rigs. (and hey, maybe GOG will listen and finally grab it!).

  • Da MessenjahDa Messenjah Member, Insider

    @Antagonist Does the game really still exist on player ran servers (or on anything), and if so how do you access them to play?

  • PCS70PCS70 NLMember, Insider ✭✭✭
    • > @Da Messenjah said:
      > @Antagonist Does the game really still exist on player ran servers (or on anything), and if so how do you access them to play?

    It does and you can read here how to install it.
    https://reddit.com/r/projectceleste/wiki/how-to-install-and-play-aoeo-celeste-fan-project

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.