What is your biggest concern for AoE 4?

AoE 4 is a game that could potentially end the AoE series if made wrong. What is your biggest concern for the game?

Comments

• IamDalvIamDalv Member, Insider ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

I think I can place most concerns in order just after a quick call:

• Progression system (changing in-game stats > giving advantages)
    • Microtransactions
    • Modern/Futuristic timeline
    • Simplistic or no base building
    • Peer2Peer laggy networking
    • Oversimplified gameplay
    • Game content fractured in many DLCs
    • Static maps/no RMG
    • Squad system
    • Lack of numerous maps and gamemodes like we used to have in AOE (just compare the multiplayer maps and game modes that shipped with the game from AOE2 with those in COH1 or 2, the difference is overwhelming in favor of AOE)
    • Ability to still have multiple teams as in 2v2v2v2 (today's strategy games just ignore this for some reason and only offer 1v1 or 2 teams)
    • Lack of capable map/scenario editor
    • Lack of ability to mod AIs
    • No in game scores - they are an AOE (Civ as well) trademark
    • No spectator option (it should be there as potent as it is in voobly at least, not oversimplified as it is AOE2HD)
    • No player profile with stats and ability to watch their recorded games like in Voobly
    • No wololo ;)
    • No VoIP
    • Windows 10 & Windows Store exclusivity (again, will we have a place like Steam workshop for the mods?)

There's surely more, but this was just a quick call like I said ;)

• AugustusmanAugustusman Member ✭✭✭✭

Peer2Peer laggy networking.

That's why they have Xbox network.

• IamDalvIamDalv Member, Insider ✭✭✭

Here is one more concern:

• game is rushed and Relic doesn't have time to implement all the stuff properly (I have a feeling this might have happaned to DoW3)

Seeing AOE1:DE delayed though, there is hope quality comes first.

• Andy PAndy P Member, Moderator mod

Every AoE game has failed to include Civs from every continent at release.

Relegating Asia and the New World to expansion pack afterthoughts is inexcusable, euro-centric nonesense.

• AAHaleAAHale Member, Insider ✭✭

Relic.

• MehkindMehkind Member, Insider ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

@AAHale said:
    Relic.

To be honest, they are perhaps the only guys who have sustained the ups and down of the RTS market. Unlike Ensemble (RIP) and Microsoft case, SEGA still haven't closed their doors even after recent Relic Tragedies. And perhaps they are the only ones who still can (fingers crossed) make a proper old school RTS game, that is if they don't get sway away by today's RTS standards.

• Ogiwan2007Ogiwan2007 59602Member, Insider ✭✭

I can list a few simple thoughts I've had...

• I want it to feel like an Age of Empires game. As I'd mentioned in a previous post, when Lucas Arts couldn't figure out a solid RTS, they partnered and made Galactic Battlegrounds. It managed to fuse two things I really enjoy. There are lots of RTS out there, but I liked AoE the best. The first version was great, AoE2 was an improvement, across the board. AoE3 was different, with the home city/cards features but actual game play was largely the same.
    • In-app purchases/microtransactions that make it possible for people to buy advancement. I think that these systems either enable players to win through purchase of things they didn't earn, or they only add decorations that people shouldn't have to pay for in the first place. To me, it's no different than playing the game with cheat codes on, and I should have the option to play on equal footing. If I like to buy advancement, I should play with others that want to play the same way. If I DON'T want to buy my way to a higher level, then I should be able to exclude those players from potential opponents in multiplayer and rankings.
    • I want it to look great, but not at the expense of game play. So many games these days provide less content and game play in lieu of impressive graphics and physics engines. AoE should have 2 dozen playable civilizations and a host of maps with the initial release. Then new civilizations and maps available as a bundled expansion packs. If you can make if visually stunning and based on real world physics then do it! But don't do it and then tell me I get 5 playable civs and half a dozen maps at release, with DLCs for other civilizations and maps trickling out.

Just my opinions. I have many and won't bore you with them. :)
    -g

• CostlierParrot3CostlierParrot3 Member, Insider ✭✭✭

@Mehkind said:

@AAHale said:
    Relic.

To be honest, they are perhaps the only guys who have sustained the ups and down of the RTS market. Unlike Ensemble (RIP) and Microsoft case, SEGA still haven't closed their doors even after recent Relic Tragedies. And perhaps they are the only ones who still can (fingers crossed) make a proper old school RTS game, that is if they don't get sway away by today's RTS standards.

Sincerely, I would also like to see the Creative Assembly as well. The total war series has played games in turn, but many users play completely RTS modes in multyplayer rooms: a map where armies move at the same time. Only building elements and structures progression would be missing. Anyway I think even Reliquia has the cards on the table to be able to make a RTS with cubic balls !!

my worries about the AoE 4 game are these:
    1 - We do not want a simplified game for casual users. Think of old-time users. In fact, I would like a game of strategic depth.
    2 - Innovations are great, but do not overwhelm the major rules that have made the AoE franchise famous!
    3 - Please relic to be able to command every single unit! no team system.
    4 - microtransformations. We do not want microtransmissions!
    5 - we do not want to build in pre-built areas. we want to build where we like it!
    6 - CLAN! stimulate the game of society!

• iDhanteiDhante Member
    edited November 2017

Not enough Zoom-Out... or any generally bad camera controlling issues.

A Restricted Pause/Orders... weather it's a pop-up and/or Limited Orders or some other crap idea.

A lack of Single-player content in-line with the new lazy-dev MP easy-way-out...

Boring limited campaigns with few choices of who to play.

Trying to hard to be innovative and screwing up the basic core of why AoEIII was great.. (aoe1n 2 were good .. but...)

Just Add obvious good things to the greatness but always keep the original great mechanics and feel and we'll all be happy

• TherealDNAmaNTherealDNAmaN Member, Insider

Make the peer to peer network as smooth as voobly does.
    Make the game playable in every kind of PC (Atleast don't make me to upgrade my PC)
    I hope we can still keep up the artwork without going for 3d graphics, like they did in Cuphead.
    Microtransactions are a big no. Make money by making more dlc (innovative maps, new civs)
    Make it skill based.
    Make the game more competitive from the start.

• PCS70PCS70 NLMember, Insider ✭✭✭

Actually I don't like any of the games from Relic's current production list, so they're up to some kind of challenge with me.

I can agree on all your points, but would like to add a few more things to make it more enjoyable for a younger public because their attention span these days seems to be so ...... ..... short.

So I would like to add a learning skills section and fast paced multiplayer X versus X minigame modes using a limited set of units to choose from for each player. This will deepen tactics and team play. Adding some MOBA into it doesn't have to be in any conflict with general RTS game play modes. MOBA derived from RTS and you just play what you like. It's like the big brother and little sister thing, although the little sister grow very big the last years and so became a giant witch. Time to strike back and convert her to become our little sister again wololo. :wink:

And the main interface should be revamped completely, because that's really from an age of empires ago.

It should get an more lively entertaining interface and indeed you should be able to watch any ranked online multiplayer game and be able to find the content to your likes easily.

For a real definitive future of the franchise you should make AOE IV actually free to play too.

If they're able to make it 3D suitable for playing it 4K with a HoloLens and Magic Gloves I foresee a great new future.

@PCS70 said:
    Actually I don't like any of the games from Relic's current production list, so they're up to some kind of challenge with me.

I can agree on all your points, but would like to add a few more things to make it more enjoyable for a younger public because their attention span these days seems to be so ...... ..... short.

So I would like to add a learning skills section and fast paced multiplayer X versus X minigame modes using a limited set of units to choose from for each player. This will deepen tactics and team play. Adding some MOBA into it doesn't have to be in any conflict with general RTS game play modes. MOBA derived from RTS and you just play what you like. It's like the big brother and little sister thing, although the little sister grow very big the last years and so became a giant witch. Time to strike back and convert her to become our little sister again wololo. :wink:

And the main interface should be revamped completely, because that's really from an age of empires ago.

It should get an more lively entertaining interface and indeed you should be able to watch any ranked online multiplayer game and be able to find the content to your likes easily.

For a real definitive future of the franchise you should make AOE IV actually free to play too.

If they're able to make it 3D suitable for playing it 4K with a HoloLens and Magic Gloves I foresee a great new future.

I can agree with much of what you wrote ... but not the part of the moba. Indeed, sincerely, it is one of the things that worries me about the series. I know we have 2 different points to see things, but I think moba elements do not marry with the tradition of the AoE series. Above all if features are introduced, the player gains gold / experience to unlock new abilities to use not in single battle but as evolution of a character! Or to buy items develop the character / hero globally and not in single battle. These elements (hero - evolution and progression) are characteristic of the MOBA and in my opinion they move away from the traditional AoE style.

• TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Scranton, PAMember, Insider ✭✭✭

It will look to much like, Rise of Nation, but then again with Relic working on it my biggest fear it will look and feel to much like CoH or DoW, and not a AoE game.

• SenorFishSenorFish Member, Insider

TBH I just hope that all of this hype won't ruin our game experience. We used to play these games as kids for hours and we've been waiting for AoE IV for so long, so it has to be as great as we expect it to be.

• EininfarEininfar Member, Insider ✭✭

My concerns:

1) A repeat of the mistakes in AOE 3 regarding scale of the conflict and building. As I've said before in a previous post, I don't want my kingdom to feel like a tiny outpost that honestly doesn't matter to some nebulous larger kingdom in the background. I want it to be me kingdom, my -empire- on the map. Maps need to be larger too. Which leads me to...

2) Retain the need to conquer. This is a huge problem in AOE 3, Sins of Solar Empire and even turn based games like Age of Wonders 3. After a point, you honestly don't even feel the need to expand your borders and conquer your foes. AOE 2 did not seem to have this problem, where core resources like gold and stone were finite even if you had a market and a bunch of relics. Titles like DOW didn't have this issue because the core of the game was combat and territory control (with relics that were required for end game stuff), but AOE needs to....

3) Be about more than combat. I LOVE smashing armies into each other, I love mobilizing my legions to overrun the enemy... but in empire building games, I want that to be in support of my , well, empire building. I want the purpose of my armies to be the sake of my majestic city, of my intricate defense systems, my trade routes, etc. My hope is that building the non-military aspects of your city gain as much importance as throwing down military structures, or at least -feel- like they do aesthetically. Rise of Nations was a good example of doing this well. With that said...

4) Do not over-simply army control. I want my stances and various formations. I'm not terribly worried that Relic will get this wrong, as they have more or less mastered the tactical angle of managing armies, but even so. However, one thing I do not want...

5) Emphasis on Hero Units. NO. NO. NO, NO, NO, NO, and furthermore, NO! I don't mind a souped up hero unit that has higher stats and maybe has a stat boosting aura, but I do NOT want hero units taking center stage and invalidating all other units. In fact...

6) Don't turn this into an RPG. AOE 3 was leaning a bit too close to this for my taste, but not too far that it happened. However, given Relics direction since DOW 2, I feel like it is definitely something to shout out loud and clear. Please, in the name of all that is holy, remember that this is an empire building RTS, NOT an RPG.

• nonlosojimmynonlosojimmy Member, Insider ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

@Eininfar said:
    My concerns:

1) A repeat of the mistakes in AOE 3 regarding scale of the conflict and building. As I've said before in a previous post, I don't want my kingdom to feel like a tiny outpost that honestly doesn't matter to some nebulous larger kingdom in the background. I want it to be me kingdom, my -empire- on the map. Maps need to be larger too. Which leads me to...

2) Retain the need to conquer. This is a huge problem in AOE 3, Sins of Solar Empire and even turn based games like Age of Wonders 3. After a point, you honestly don't even feel the need to expand your borders and conquer your foes. AOE 2 did not seem to have this problem, where core resources like gold and stone were finite even if you had a market and a bunch of relics. Titles like DOW didn't have this issue because the core of the game was combat and territory control (with relics that were required for end game stuff), but AOE needs to....

3) Be about more than combat. I LOVE smashing armies into each other, I love mobilizing my legions to overrun the enemy... but in empire building games, I want that to be in support of my , well, empire building. I want the purpose of my armies to be the sake of my majestic city, of my intricate defense systems, my trade routes, etc. My hope is that building the non-military aspects of your city gain as much importance as throwing down military structures, or at least -feel- like they do aesthetically. Rise of Nations was a good example of doing this well. With that said...

4) Do not over-simply army control. I want my stances and various formations. I'm not terribly worried that Relic will get this wrong, as they have more or less mastered the tactical angle of managing armies, but even so. However, one thing I do not want...

5) Emphasis on Hero Units. NO. NO. NO, NO, NO, NO, and furthermore, NO! I don't mind a souped up hero unit that has higher stats and maybe has a stat boosting aura, but I do NOT want hero units taking center stage and invalidating all other units. In fact...

6) Don't turn this into an RPG. AOE 3 was leaning a bit too close to this for my taste, but not too far that it happened. However, given Relics direction since DOW 2, I feel like it is definitely something to shout out loud and clear. Please, in the name of all that is holy, remember that this is an empire building RTS, NOT an RPG.

Your points of view are really good my friend. Totally agree

• A poorly designed map editor or lack of community mods would be horrible.
    • Sticking to the exact same idea as the previous age of empire games with little innovation. Although I have never taken the time to really wrap my head around RTS games and why I enjoy them
    • limited multiplayer options and overwhelming and unfixed connection issues, I think when it comes to RTS games the map editor and being able to play with friends is the best part.
    • Additionally I would enjoy a Campaign mode much like Rise of Nations, where there is some kind of track for your overall domination and losses as you play through a campaign single player or even multiplayer.
  • Insomnia KiNInsomnia KiN Member, Insider

-Poor custom map editing features.
    -A game like AoM. Wonder why the majority of people still play AOE2?
    -Trying to do too much with upgrades. What made aoe2 so successful was it wasn't hard to figure out.

What I'd like to see but I'm sure I won't

• a MMO RTS type game that plays even when you aren't there on a large massive scale(ability to invite clan mates to be near by) with the ability to play old school 2v2v2v2 or Diplo style games.
    • No micro-transactions unless its customizing your own custom kingdom.
    • Custom Houses/ Kingdoms aka clans. with your own banners and Uniforms.
    • Streaming ability from the game linked with YouTube,Twitch etc..
  • PhilliusPhillius Member

I love my RTS games, but there is one core element of recent RTS games which have stopped me playing them and that is how far or in all cases how little you can zoom out. After playing the excellent and amazing forged alliance where you can zoom out to any lengths I have been spoilt and now every RTS game feels more like a 3rd person rather than "I am a commander over seeing the battlefield" please allow me to set my camera to the height i want and feel comfortable playing

• NormChangerNormChanger Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017

I have nothing to add, everyone pretty much everyone h covered those concerns.

• VitalFractionBEVitalFractionBE Member, Insider

Don't prohibit modding in favor of DLC. Make the DLC go hand in hand with mods.

As an AoM multiplayer-only player, most of the games i see hosted are custom maps around focussing around only a couple of genres. Think of Escape, Settlers, Castle Blood, Zelda, Tiny,... If the game itself isn't that well balanced, the community can and will improve it or they make fun minigames out of it where the disbalance doesn't really matter.

Only make DLC for the core game in BIG packs:

• new civs
    • extended/alternative age timelines
    • official game modes which are ranked <-> mods unranked, so they keep buying to be able to compete

Definitely do not go for per-unit unlocking or something like that. If more than 2 DLC packs exist within the year, i bail. AoE is a 'launch, pick a game and play' type of game where you distinguish yourself in terms of skill, not in terms of items unlocked with money or experience.

Also, allow chaos in the multiplayer section. Don't steer us into limited game types/maps while hiding the 'complicated' free user choice. Allow every game lobby to try and advertise itself and its mods equally, like in the counter strike server list. You'll see mini-tournaments and clans forming like this, which keep the game alive.

This may sound like a rant, but I love the game anyhow.

PS: I'm a sucker for programming mods with code. If i found out about XS scripts in AoM a bit earlier, i wouldve made a mega trigger pack by now. :hushed:

edited November 2017

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@PCS70 said:

I can agree with much of what you wrote ... but not the part of the moba. Indeed, sincerely, it is one of the things that worries me about the series. I know we have 2 different points to see things, but I think moba elements do not marry with the tradition of the AoE series. Above all if features are introduced, the player gains gold / experience to unlock new abilities to use not in single battle but as evolution of a character! Or to buy items develop the character / hero globally and not in single battle. These elements (hero - evolution and progression) are characteristic of the MOBA and in my opinion they move away from the traditional AoE style.

That's not what MOBA means in the first place and it's also not what I talk about, that would not be AOE classic RTS style gameplay. I talk about certain elements which could be suitable for new interesting types of gameplay and certainly not about everything that you made from it.

And please lookup the word MOBA first before you just disagree. It's just some kind of map design, nothing more. :smiley:

edited November 2017

@PCS70 said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@PCS70 said:

That's not what MOBA means in the first place and it's also not what I talk about, that would not be AOE classic RTS style gameplay. I talk about certain elements which could be suitable for new interesting types of gameplay and certainly not about everything that you made from it.

And please lookup the word MOBA first before you just disagree. It's just some kind of map design, nothing more. :smiley:

ok, that's not what you're talking about, but simplifying the concept of MOBA exclusively to a certain type of map is wrong! True, the map you've repeatedly portrayed is certainly an important feature of MOBA, but you're forgetting a number of additional features that may / may not be present. When I talked to heroes / units with elements and characteristics that can increase their experience and advance progressively to level to perform skills, I did not move away from the MOBA genre. I checked on the internet (not just wikipedia) and all the rumors are not just about the map you are talking about ... Maybe it would be better if you did a tour ... ;)

• AugustusmanAugustusman Member ✭✭✭✭

@PCS70 said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

@PCS70 said:

You mean CBA?

@Augustusman Indeed. The MO part is very obvious these days except for some other game genres. So calling it just CBA makes sense to me.

@CostlierParrot3
    The first Multiplayer Online Battle Arena's were played on LAN btw, the time of the first Token Ring, 10Base2 and 10Base-T networks. B)

ok, I believe in the word and you see that you are informed about the genre; but nowadays, MOBA is far more than a map! it's not just a kind of map design!

@CostlierParrot3
    Actually that was a typo and should have been 'arena with to the battle specific map designs'. Still doesn't make me wrong anything about all the MMO RPG ARTS characteristics that you flying on the autopilot added to it. We should talk about each term specifically and to the exact meaning of just those words.

I'm happy to have found a believer. <3

Would you like to see some kind of CBA in classic AOE Ensemble Studios gameplay style?

Although it might be some faster paced and some new elements added. Like if you kill a worker from your opponent you also get it's resources. And maybe some other things like if you might play a 5 vs 5 with a total pop cap limit of 60 per player. You'll have to work together more to succeed and so the RT, S and also A part will stand out more in CBA gameplay modes, which could make it much more exciting to stream and watch it live. I'm just wandering in my imagination now.

Or wouldn't you want to see anything about competitive gameplay or any new kind of competitive ranking systems in the AOE IV version?

@PCS70 said:
    @CostlierParrot3
    Actually that was a typo and should have been 'arena with to the battle specific map designs'. Still doesn't make me wrong anything about all the MMO RPG ARTS characteristics that you flying on the autopilot added to it. We should talk about each term specifically and to the exact meaning of just those words.

I'm happy to have found a believer. <3

Would you like to see some kind of CBA in classic AOE Ensemble Studios gameplay style?

Although it might be some faster paced and some new elements added. Like if you kill a worker from your opponent you also get it's resources. And maybe some other things like if you might play a 5 vs 5 with a total pop cap limit of 60 per player. You'll have to work together more to succeed and so the RT, S and also A part will stand out more in CBA gameplay modes, which could make it much more exciting to stream and watch it live. I'm just wandering in my imagination now.

Or wouldn't you want to see anything about competitive gameplay or any new kind of competitive ranking systems in the AOE IV version?

as you've certainly noticed, I'm relying on a google translator to understand and translate the messages. Sometimes google translate is not really correct ... and I do struggle to understand the sense of the phrase. Regarding your typed features (5v5 with pop max 60, "stealing" the resources of the killing unit), I think they are interesting. Sincerely, "CBA" I'm not sure I know what it is. Is that the game mode in which opponents leave the corners of the map and collide in the map center?