Beta Access for Preorders

Hi all I pre-ordered the game back in August - got an email today inviting me to closed beta and providing a code for rise of nations.

I followed the links to register, used the same information I used for the preorder. Created an account to become an insider, but don't know how to actually get the beta download to try out the game.

I'd really like to try out the game - and have preordered the game again. I thought this e-mail meant all pre-orders get access to beta? If so, wondering what I need to do! Thanks for your help

Comments

• ITSABAGOFFOODITSABAGOFFOOD Member, Insider

I pre-ordered the game, and i'm so sad that i can't play it in 4 days!! I applied for the beta on day one, and i still haven't gotten anything. Is there a way that i can guarantee my access to the beta??

• LucinatorLucinator Member

me too

• Trouble SRTrouble SR Member, Insider

Agreed, it should be a way to keep the clients/dedicated players a chance to play it also and help with the feed back that they would like to get.

• sixpppsixppp Member, Insider

What I know there is a guy,he got join the beta,but he doesn't want to buy this game at all,he just felt this BETA as a game demo.
    My friend and I,are really love this game,we have paid for it,both of us don't wanna refund the money,all we can do is just waiting,and we haven't join the test until now.

SO...............

Is there every client should be able to get in the BETA?Or at least,BETA tester should pick from these clients who has been pre-ordered??????

• ezangrandoezangrando ItalyMember, Insider ✭✭

@ITSABAGOFFOOD said:
    I pre-ordered the game, and i'm so sad that i can't play it in 4 days!! I applied for the beta on day one, and i still haven't gotten anything. Is there a way that i can guarantee my access to the beta??

i'm on the same boat... it's a shame i agree...

• ezangrandoezangrando ItalyMember, Insider ✭✭

@Augustusman said:
    Beta tester is for test features and isn't an early access.

who already bought the game is the first that must give feedback about it. I trusted the developers but someone else who may not even buy the game is giving feedback that in my opinion may ruin the game. It's not fair.

• GrimToadstoolGrimToadstool Member, Insider ✭✭✭

That's simply not true. You caring for the game doesn't mean you're good at giving feedback. It just means you care about the game. The reverse is usually true, someone who gives good feedback cares about the game. But you can't know for sure who that will be.
    (Some people have beta participation credentials, but usually it's not the case)
    Anyone playing the game is providing data for analyzis. Seemingly random people do that as well and they are a demogrpahic that needs to be taken into account. It also has to do with your hardware specs, which you are required to provide.
    The way the beta is structured, with the data provided to sign up, luck isn't a factor. They have the ability to invite exactly the people they need when they need them.

If it would be the case that it's just luck of the draw, then yes any more evaluating concept would qualify as being potentially better and in that case, there would be a point to preferring pre-orderers or fanboys, but that's not the case here. The concept they are using is simply better, your's would be a step back.

Also your are claiming that someone who isn't buying the game would give feedback that would ruin the game. That's the point I will object to the most. If someone isn't buying the game and gives feedback why he doesn't, that's valuable feedback. Feedback that would ruin the game is feedback that would deliberately sabotage the game and let's assume someone would go to that end - the rest of the community and the devs are still having a say in this. In essense you can't give feedback that ruins a game. Devs can make descisions that ruin the game yes, but not the ones who are providing the feedback.

• SatsumaFieber87SatsumaFieber87 GermanyMember, Insider

I hope that pre-buyers get at least one beta access ^^

• TaitoTMTaitoTM Member, Insider

@Augustusman said:

Don't know why you get downvoted so much.
    It was never told that if you Pre-Order the game you'll get a higher chance to get invited to the closed beta. Also this isn't Early Access like games that are available on Steam.

• ITSABAGOFFOODITSABAGOFFOOD Member, Insider

All i'm saying is it would have been nice to know this in advance..... so i'm not sitting here waiting for it to come out and taking off work to play it. I'd at least like to give my feedback on the title since I've forked countless hours into the original

• kinzokinzo beMember, Insider ✭✭✭

@TaitoTM said:

@Augustusman said:

It was never told that if you Pre-Order the game you'll get a higher chance to get invited to the closed beta. Also this isn't Early Access like games that are available on Steam.

And people get that, they are asking now because of the delay, which is obviously game changer.

And i don't take any side as if it's what's right to do or not, though i'd like to have access myself pl0x :smiley:.

• NojarNojar NotAnonymousMember, Insider
    edited October 16

I can see why they might not want to make the game early access (game preview) in the store, but giving preorders beta access should make sense. I guess the worry with game preview is that it doesn't have the NDA and the easy access wouldn't scream THIS IS BETA to all of the participants loud enough. This could certainly lead into some negative PR in form of negative previews/reviews all over the internet.

But if it's not really promoted that preorder gives beta access and it would require a bit of effort to get in, I'd imagine most of the players would understand that it's a beta and honor the NDA to reasonable extent. Although, I do wonder if they're worried about the selection bias that filling the beta with preorderers might cause.

• FortySugar77073FortySugar77073 Member, Insider

@Nojar said:
    I can see why they might not want to make the game early access (game preview) in the store, but giving preorders beta access should make sense. I guess the worry with game preview is that it doesn't have the NDA and the easy access wouldn't scream THIS IS BETA to all of the participants loud enough. This could certainly lead into some negative PR in form of negative previews/reviews all over the internet.

But if it's not really promoted that preorder gives beta access and it would require a bit of effort to get in, I'd imagine most of the players would understand that it's a beta and honor the NDA to reasonable extent. Although, I do wonder if they're worried about the selection bias that filling the beta with preorderers might cause.

It is their party, and there is not much control we have over their selections. I would like access, but if they don't invite me, that's their choice to make.

• AugustusmanAugustusman Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 16

@TaitoTM said:

@Augustusman said:

Hate, I don't care, is the ugly true.
    Is closed beta, no indie early access in steam.

• RWNorthPoleRWNorthPole NetherlandsMember, Insider ✭✭✭✭

No, no, and no. People need to stop being entitled - you know what paying for the game gets you? The game. Nobody forces you to pay early and then complain that you deserve the Beta.
    Nobody deserves the Beta, and life isn't always fair, and we don't always get what we all want.

@RWNorthPole said:
    No, no, and no. People need to stop being entitled - you know what paying for the game gets you? The game. Nobody forces you to pay early and then complain that you deserve the Beta.
    Nobody deserves the Beta, and life isn't always fair, and we don't always get what we all want.

They need grown up. In real life you take decisions and if you lost, you deal with that.

• PhiltahuPhiltahu Member, Insider

@RWNorthPole said:

I agree we aren't owed a Beta for pre-ordering.

I stand as someone who has long enjoyed the game since the 90s, grew up playing it since I was like 9. While I'm not owned a beta, I am greatly saddened by the delay, as I was hoping to be able to play it with my siblings when we all have time off around Christmas. So this is a big bummer.

While a beta is not owed to me, I would like to request one for me and my siblings, I preordered and bought my brother Nathan a Microsoft store gift card so he could buy the game as well, and I was about to buy my other brother one too, and then I found out it got delayed. :(

So access to the beta would really make us happy and we would like to ask for it, not because its owned to us, but if they are expanding the beta, why not start with the people who are really invested in the series and really appreciate it?

• OrangeSlateOrangeSlate Member, Insider

We already bought the game anyways. Why not just give us beta access? Its not like Microsoft is going to lose a customer because they played the beta and got bored. For a 20 dollar game, there has been so much disappointment with this whole beta invite situation. I don't know how to explain the feeling of loss that I got after not being selected for the beta after I completed the survey. I just don't understand why Microsoft gave us so much hope to play the beta, but end up declining our attempts to get in. All for something that cost 20 dollars. Why?

• Mystic TabooMystic Taboo Member, Insider ✭✭✭

It's pretty common these days for pre-orders to get some sort of bonus and that bonus is often beta access.

The Wargame series does this and for Steel Division:Normandy 44 it was noticeable how the feedback created a nicely balanced game that was initially messed up a bit by adding content that was not in the beta. Eugen Systems are light years ahead of MS in regards to community engagement.

It's noticeable how many poor players are in the Beta, which is absolutely fine as need to test rigs and pitch to a wide market but cmon, you really do want to drag the better players in as I ended up playing 3v1 and winning last night due to a dearth of players. Then I was stomped by @Heaven_dim whose name made alarm bells ring but he played ace whilst I messed up.

• ParsterinoParsterino Member, Insider

Is there no Bonus at all for pre-ordering? Pretty sad if that is the case to be honest. Nearly every single game gives you some kind of Bonus, and I think that is good.

@Parsterino said:
    Is there no Bonus at all for pre-ordering? Pretty sad if that is the case to be honest. Nearly every single game gives you some kind of Bonus, and I think that is good.

No, because they focus test somethings, isn't kind a early access. For example a week you can test multiplayer other a map...etc.

• Dom10mdwDom10mdw 08260Member

@RWNorthPole said:

But the people who pre order the game casue it was coming out in 2 days and then out of no where they delay it till 2018 i dont know about you but this is crazy, we should be able to try the beta at least. People who pre order the game care about it and most likey been playing age of empires since they were 8 years old. We the people who pre order should be the testers not just random ppl that might not ever buy it. If it didnt get delayed 4 days before it came out i wouldnt say anything. BUT THEY DID and it may not come out for 6 months or more. If you dotn agree with this then i dont have anything to say to you>

• RWNorthPoleRWNorthPole NetherlandsMember, Insider ✭✭✭✭

@Dom10mdw said:

@RWNorthPole said:

But the people who pre order the game casue it was coming out in 2 days and then out of no where they delay it till 2018 i dont know about you but this is crazy, we should be able to try the beta at least. People who pre order the game care about it and most likey been playing age of empires since they were 8 years old. We the people who pre order should be the testers not just random ppl that might not ever buy it. If it didnt get delayed 4 days before it came out i wouldnt say anything. BUT THEY DID and it may not come out for 6 months or more. If you dotn agree with this then i dont have anything to say to you>

Your notion of "we should be able to try the beta" is inherently flawed. You're saying that MS owes you the Beta, that they owe you compensation for delaying the game. You're saying that spending your $$$ means you deserve Beta access.

You really want a prize for being a consumer? There is, and, tbh, there should be no correlation between closed Beta testers and pre-order purchases (unless MS demographically deems it so).

Pretty much everyone on these forums is a fan, so playing the game since you were a child is a pretty run-of-the-mill statement here. It doesn't warrant special treatment, especially with a franchise as old and popular as AoE. This isn't some niche indie game that got delayed, it's AoE. Yes, the same AoE franchise that holds 4 spots on the best selling PC games of all time list

Beta tester isn't a early access, is kind of job where you tested a unfinished game, where you get frustrated more than enjoy. More painful and incomplete than a demo.

• PenelinfiPenelinfi Member, Insider ✭✭✭

That's what it is supposed to be, but a lot of people will simply be playing it like an early access. It just happens like that. There will be a lot of kids who are "over 18" as well ;)

• bubblebubble Member, Insider ✭✭

we really dont need any more baddies in the beta. if anything we need good players. everyones complete ****