Age of Empires Insider Program FAQ

jennywaboomjennywaboom Member, Administrator, Insider admin
edited August 22 in News and Announcements

Q: What is the Age of Empires Insider Program?
A: The Age of Empires Insider Program is a new opportunity for gamers to get an inside perspective on the Age of Empires franchise. Insiders will receive email updates and surveys relating to the game’s development, and every Insider will be automatically considered for access to the beta for Age of Empires: Definitive Edition!

Q: What do I get by signing up to the Age of Empires Insider Program?
A: By signing up as an Age Insider, you’ll receive a number of perks and bonuses. First, you’ll receive a monthly newsletter from our team providing an inside look at the news and developments in the Age of Empires franchise. You’ll also receive surveys via email asking for feedback about our games, our website, and our community. We will award you a unique “Insider” badge on the official Age of Empires forum, identifying you as one of the leaders of our community. Last but certainly not least, you must be an Age Insider to be considered for early testing phases of Age of Empires: Definitive Edition.

Q: When does the closed beta start? Will Age Insiders get access to Age of Empires: Definitive Edition soon?
A: Yes! Our first set of surveys (which you must fill out to get on the list for the closed beta) have been sent out! We will send several rounds of beta surveys, so even if you missed the first round, make sure to jump into the Insider Program ASAP for your chance to be included in the next one.

Q: How do I sign up?
A: You can sign up to the Age of Empires Insider Program through our website. The sign-up process takes about ten minutes and will require an Xbox Live account, a contact email address, and the completion of our Age Insider Survey. You’ll also need to confirm your email address when you’re done.

Q: Do I need an Xbox Live Account? What if I don’t have one?
A: Yes, an Xbox Live Account is required. If you don’t have one, don’t despair! Creating an Xbox Account is free and takes less than five minutes. You can create one by visiting aka.ms/accountcreate. Once your account has been set up, you can use it to register for the Age of Empires Insider Program.

Q: If I sign up, am I guaranteed access to Age of Empires tests and closed betas?
A: No, signing up for the Age of Empires Insider Program does not mean you’ll be automatically selected for any of our testing phases, nor that you’ll receive every survey; our development and research teams will determine which Age Insiders best match our research needs on a case-by-case basis. However, signing up as an Age of Empires Insider is a prerequisite for participating, and even if you’re not selected for a closed testing phase, you’ll be the first to find out about other opportunities to get involved!

Q: When do I find out if I have been chosen to take part in the closed beta?
A: The closed beta will take part in several phases. At the beginning of each phase, we will identify Age Insiders that best fit our research needs and send those Age Insiders an invitation via email; that email will have instructions for accessing the beta build and providing feedback. We will announce each round of invites on our Facebook, Twitter, and Official Forums, so keep your eye out! If you don’t receive an invitation, you haven’t been selected for that beta phase. But don’t despair—more phases are on their way, so you may still get your chance, and there are still plenty of ways to participate in the Age of Empires community in the meantime!

Q: How can I improve my chances of being selected for future testing phases of the game?
A: First and foremost, we use the data from the Age of Empires Insider Program sign-up survey to help us select players. We're looking to bring in a range of different kinds of players, with different kinds of PCs, so there's no "right" way to answer the survey. Beyond that, we're looking for Age Insiders who can provide meaningful feedback to our development team. Two ways our team can evaluate that are by monitoring who's active in our forum, and who completes the surveys we send as part of our Age Insider mails. While neither will guarantee inclusion in a testing phase, both are helpful to us in evaluating who might be a good fit for our current testing phase in order to create the best game we possibly can.

Q: What’s the difference between the Age of Empires Insider Program and the testing phases/beta tests?
A: The Age of Empires Insider Program is open to everyone age 18+ and is designed to bring our most dedicated fans closer to the Age of Empires franchise with exclusive content, regular surveys, and the opportunity to be invited into testing phases. A “testing phase” is any period during which we grant access to the game early to help us gather valuable feedback. For these phases, we will select participants from among the group of Age of Empires Insiders.

Q: Why do I need to be 18+ to sign up?
A: There are a couple of reasons for this. Age Insiders are required to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement (“NDA”) so they don’t publicly share information about the game before it’s ready. This NDA also covers our surveys, as well as exclusive information that Age Insiders learn through our email updates. As an NDA is essentially a contract, there’s a legal requirement for the person signing to be 18 years or over, so this carries through to the Age Insider Program as a whole.

Q: Does the requirement for an Xbox Live account mean that the game is coming to Xbox One?
A: We love our fans who own an Xbox One, and we understand wanting to play this legendary RTS on the platform of your choice. However, for the 20th Anniversary of the Age of Empires franchise, we decided to honor the Age legacy and stay true to the platform where it all began: the personal computer. Therefore, Age of Empires: Definitive Edition is a Windows 10 exclusive; there are no plans to bring it to Xbox One.

Q: I’m all signed up! What now?
A: Welcome to the team! Keep an eye on your inbox for our Insider-exclusive communications, as well as beta invitations (if you’re selected for the next phase of the closed beta). In the meantime, get involved with the community! Head to our forums where you’ll stand out with your shiny new Insider badge, or over to our website’s history section where you can explore the history covered in Age of Empires: Definitive Edition. Remember to follow us on Facebook and Twitter and say hi!

Q: Why am I still not getting the survey?
A: It could be one of a few things, here's how to fix them!
1. We are sending out the intake surveys every Friday. If you missed the first one because you hadn't signed up yet don't worry you will get the next one!
2. If you signed up through any of these domains there is an ~90% chance that it will block emails from the survey tool we are using. We would recommend signing up again with a different email.
Aol
Aim
Orange
Cox
Rr
Laposte
Gmx
Sbcglobal
Comcast
Att
Bellsouth
Mail.ru
Shaw
Wanadoo
Web.
3. If you didn't use one of these domains then make sure you check your spam/ junk email folder again, and double check that you spelled your email correctly when you signed up!

**Q: I got into the BETA for Age DE, what can I share?
A: You are allowed to tell people that you have been chosen, but we ask that you do not share any information about the game with any one else. The NDA that you signed when signing up for the Insider Program states:
a. Do not take photos, videos, or audio recordings of the Game
b. Do not post photos, videos, or audio recordings of the Game on any venue.
c. Do not describe any part of the Game on any venue unless we’ve instructed you to
d. Do not allow others to watch you play the Game
e. Do not leave the Game running unattended.

**Q: Okay I won't share any of that but where do I put my feedback?
A: We have created a private forum for beta users to post feedback in, that you should get access to when you get into the beta. If you did not please contact @jennywaboom or @snickerdoodle

Comments

• EnoughSiren1671EnoughSiren1671 Member, Insider

@jennywaboom said:
    Q: How do I sign up?
    A: You can sign up to the Age of Empires Insider Program through our website. The sign-up process takes about ten minutes and will require an Xbox Live account, a contact email address, and the completion of our Age Insider Survey. ...

I did not need to complete any survey by signing up. But my profile says I am an insider!?

• xGurbyxxGurbyx Member, Insider
    edited June 13

Hey ! I'm in the same situation as @MisguidedMonk54 , I did the registration process and confirmed my email but I didn't get asked to complete any survey :(

• Player169266979Player169266979 Member, Insider

I haven't received my confirmation mail. It's been 1 hours so far. How long will it take? ?

• AlertPencil1812AlertPencil1812 Member, Insider

@Player169266979 said:
    I haven't received my confirmation mail. It's been 1 hours so far. How long will it take? ?

what about your SPAM-folder ?

• LogoncalLogoncal Member, Insider

@AlertPencil1812 said:

@Player169266979 said:

what about your SPAM-folder ?

Look at the spam folder. mine was there

• Techead87Techead87 Member, Insider

Looking forward to testing this out :smile:

• MisguidedMonk54MisguidedMonk54 Athens, GreeceMember, Insider ✭✭✭

@jennywaboom said:

@xGurbyx said:
    Hey ! I'm in the same situation as @MisguidedMonk54 , I did the registration process and confirmed my email but I didn't get asked to complete any survey :(

Survey will be sent out at a later date, no worries!

Thank you a lot for your quick response!

• Player169266979Player169266979 Member, Insider

Not in SPAM folder. Registered with different email address. Verified now. So when can we start playing AOE ? :lol:

• MisguidedMonk54MisguidedMonk54 Athens, GreeceMember, Insider ✭✭✭

@Player169266979 said:
    Not in SPAM folder. Registered with different email address. Verified now. So when can we start playing AOE ? :lol:

Not yet..... You have to wait and it is not sure that you are going to be selected

• AlertPencil1812AlertPencil1812 Member, Insider

@MisguidedMonk54 said:

@Player169266979 said:

Not yet..... You have to wait and it is not sure that you are going to be selected

^_______________ :-)

• SakunetiSakuneti Member, Insider

I want AoE ;D hoping to be selected !!!!

• enow90enow90 Member, Insider

Hypee

• ThompsonThompson Member

Confirmed my email but didn't get the insider badge?

• TypelaneLiveTypelaneLive Member

Ok. Registered, Email confirmed, now I just need a little bit of luck to be selected, though it would be my first time doing this. ^^ :D

• JeanLnyJeanLny Member, Insider

Personnaly, there was a problem with the subsribtion. I had to test it 5 times, and the last was the good... A bug ??

• DraiikzDraiikz Member, Insider

Can't wait to test this out!:P

• Maj Cold CaseMaj Cold Case Member, Insider

Can't wait! Gonna be an awesome trip down nostalgia road if selected.

• u guys should selected elit players in our lobby of voobly.com
    as they are the best players of aoe from the MSN game zone until now
    usually these players know every single thing about the gameply of aoe they could help maybe for improvments not doubt i will be a great pwner on it and top of players haha xD

• FunkierMonkey53FunkierMonkey53 Member, Insider

The best game ever. Can't wait too. Me and my freinds used to play after work. This new version will make we play again.

• MarcuzMarcuz Member

@Thompson said:
    Confirmed my email but didn't get the insider badge?

I have this issue as well

• LorrdyLorrdy Member, Insider
    edited June 14

I never get a E-Mail but I have the Insider badge. I wait since monday
    Update: I do this one more time and I got the E-Mail

• Marcus ApiciusMarcus Apicius Member, Insider

Ready to help and play to my favorite game since my childhood ! :)
    If today I'm a french latinist teacher and an antiquity fan, this is due to this game!
    So, just relax and Wololo!

• kokrantkokrant Member, Insider

Thank you for the info! waiting for beta!! :D

• BeastlyImp80962BeastlyImp80962 Member, Insider

Can't wait :)

• WaistlessThree3WaistlessThree3 Member, Insider

the return of a legend......
    need to see how the interface suits xbox one.....still i got great expectations that am sure they came out

• YonkoYonko New World.Member, Insider

I can't wait for Help the Team and the community for develop this game to be the best again , i have spend so many hours at AOE 1 so many memories are coming back :# :# :# ahhhh can't wait . Gl guys i hope all you get Beta Key .

• HousemakerHousemaker Member, Insider

Im SO EXCITED right now! :smile:

• GamerHackerGamerHacker Member

Cant wait :blush: