Age of Empires: Definitive Edition T-Shirt! - Age of Empires

AoE Community TeamAoE Community Team Member, Administrator admin
edited July 12 in News and Announcements

imageAge of Empires: Definitive Edition T-Shirt! - Age of Empires

It’s time for another giveaway Age fans!! Would you like to get your hands on an awesome Age of Empires: Definitive Edition T-shirt like these lovely folks? All you need to do to enter for a chance to win is leave a comment on this forum thread letting us know your favorite memory of playing … Continued

Read the full story here

Comments

• REDCLAWREDCLAW Member, Insider

Coming home from school with my two friends and every and night playing a Lan or building our own, way overpowered, scenario to mess around on. I can still type “pepperoni pizza” “woodstock” and “bigdaddy” faster than anything else!

I cant wait for AOEDE!

• AssyrianAxemanAssyrianAxeman Salt Spring Island B.C.Member, Insider ✭✭✭

Staying in the house for FOUR hours to play in 95 degree heat, then staying four MORE hours to watch my brothers play, making runs to get cool rags for our heads to not overheat. <3 I love this game

• RugratsuacRugratsuac Member, Insider

Playing Campaigns again and again and never be bored

• Degrail712Degrail712 Member, Insider

Playing AOE3 while on Skype with some of the best players and beating Flooky in a Spain FF mirror.

• IamFarmerIamFarmer Member, Insider

Playing this game on the zone till 2-3 am every day during school year. Thanks to AOE I slept through most my high school years.

• ScaryBootScaryBoot EnglandMember, Insider

Wow so many memories. The best is around 2000 playing rise of Rome online, just joined a clan and I was a real noob, after 2 months of playing I beat one of the member of the clan he then asked to watch how I start and he noticed I did not use the shift key on the keyboard to quickly place buildings around the map he pointed this out to me and was supprised I could even beat him, and from there the rest was history,

• Mr blu3stormMr blu3storm Member

I hope we will be able to get this shirts at gamescom in August.

• The best memory was playing this game in the 6th grade in one of my computer classes. We would do lan parties once our work was finished. One day someone was going around dominating everyone and we couldn't beat them. It took us almost a week to figure out it was our computer lab teacher!! The rest of the school year we spent trying to get better and one day i finally did it! That day was glorious! :)

• VesperalAbyss85VesperalAbyss85 Member, Insider
    edited July 12

I do not want the t-shirt, but I still want to participate.

I remember my cousin when he first played aoe, he used to build up armies and cities but could not move or attack, then by accident he found out that he needed to right click to move and attack. After this discovery we finally knew how to play aoe.

• Mithrandir1509Mithrandir1509 Member, Insider

I've played all of the AOE games since they came out. Hours and hours of my life wasted LOL :D

• SaulYebutteSaulYebutte Member

The best memory I have of the game was taking my Roman axe warriors to slay my brothers peasant Chosen workers within the first 10 minutes of the game. He didn't even have time to type Wololo...

• Memes B DreamsMemes B Dreams Member, Insider ✭✭

My favourite memory is the one mission in AoE where you have a priest and you have to wololo everyone else's men in order to build your own city.

• Jul2BMTJul2BMT Member

Age of Empires is the best strategic game ever !

• mehsaurusmehsaurus Member, Insider

Beating my friends and Ai

• Huang8492Huang8492 TexasMember, Insider

Back in the day, I liked to play late into the night. The light from the screen would keep my parents awake, and the morning after they'd always lecture me about better sleeping habits. Every Thursday and Friday until I could afford my own computer!

• ALEX2ALEX2 Member, Insider
    edited July 13

My favorite memory was playing a world map on Age of Empires Rise of Rome I built called "World Domination" with my sister and one of my friends. One civilization started in North America, one in Africa, and one in eastern Asia. On one particular game, I played as the Romans, my friend was Babylonians, and my sister was Shang. I sailed villagers into South America and chopped down the entire Amazon Rainforest to help fund my army. I built massive armies of Legions and landed in western Europe where my friend built a huge city with multiple wall and tower defenses. Meanwhile, I thought I had taken out my sister in Africa completely and began the assault on my friend's defenses when my sister launched a massive counterattack on my North American home city. It turns out that she had enough resources stockpiled and constructed a secret base on Antarctica from which the attack came from. Antarctica was funny because I used the desert terrain set since the first game didn't have a snow terrain set. Several years later I uploaded that version to the AOE Heaven Games website under Rise of Rome multiplayer scenarios, and I am proud it is number 7 for total downloads on the website. Since then I have improved the map and still play it with friends to this day.

• Despite his fleet of blue Shelby Cobras armed with machine guns, my brother still managed to lose several campaign levels. He didn't see the enemy's Wonder, and eventually ran out of time.

• UnchartedSkiesUnchartedSkies Member, Insider

My favorite memory was When i would play for hours and build a huge base then destroy my enemies.

• DRUNKEN SAM911DRUNKEN SAM911 Member, Insider
    edited July 13

My Favorite AoE/AoM Moment: Playing the whole weekend with friends in a little Room. All just connected via LAN. Internet was bad in these days. And most of the time at least one was screaming "WOLOLO". Thats was great and i´m getting old. :wink:

• arlygoikaarlygoika Member

omg, omg, i want the shirtttt. can i win if im from mexico?
    my favorite moment was when i was in middle school, our history teacher was asking stuff about history and i was the only one answering becase i knew some universal history thanks to this gameeeeee. i love it and i always will!

• RobertRobert Member

I rememeber my uncle brought this game from USA. He is a sailor btw and he also bought a used laptop. I wasn't much into computers back then(didin't have one either). I was more into consoles like Nintendo and Sega. The moment he installed this I got hooked up! We chose skirmish map with Greek civilisation and we started off. It was all new and shiny but we couldn't advance to next age. Requirements were that we build two buildings from current age. We were still bashing with clubs and stuff and you can imagine when we saw our enemy coming with a catapult on us. It was WTF! moment! How on earth did he get that. Later on we realized there is an arrow in the buildings menu that you press to reveal more buildings.

Such a cool game. Still listen to soundtrack...

• MalerJongleur69MalerJongleur69 Member
    edited July 13

Hi! In my memories are the evenings during my time in the community service with old people. I'm a very great fan of it and I played all difficulty levels in the games 1 and 2. In my opinion is the extension "The conquerors" the best of it all. Also today I play sometimes the game, but soon I will be more often play the definitive edition. Thanks Microsoft and the whole Team behind for making a release possible. Greetings from Germany.

• robpo4robpo4 Member
    edited July 13

My favourite memory of playing AOE was by far playing AOE1 as a kid I played that game for years and the memories have stuck with me it was such a good game and I can't wait for definitive edition as I will probably play it more than any other game. And I still play 2 & 3 on steam regularly, favourite series of all time

• DiffiterDiffiter Member

My first experience was AOE1 when i got it as a demo on the front of the magazine. I played the same map over and over until the full game was released. I favourite memory is playing AOE2 online with friends, one of whom spent hours building the perfect town with well laid out streets. Unfortunately, he totally forgot about building an army and we destroyed his creation in minutes! He repeated the same mistake again and again.

• PCM4st3rPCM4st3r Member, Insider

Cool!

• pniemiecpniemiec PolandMember, Insider

Age of empires saga helped me in school, of course it tooked a lot of my time, but i've becomed fan of ancient history and finish school with very good grade for history.

• son of catson of cat Member

My favorite memory of AOE has to be before I even got the retail version, and played the Trial version frequently with my brother. Although we were never able to make our own scenarios at the time, there was a nifty little program, called cpnbuild, that converted retail only scenarios to allow us to play them in trial version in multiplayer. We had downloaded what we could from Artho, which is still up, surprisingly! Although there were limitations, we could sometimes play scenarios that started us off in the Iron Age. Of course, we could not train certain units, as they would only become invisible, or would return the ol' "Not available in trail version" or something to that notion. Anyway, it was always nice to be able to get more of the retail experience, even with the limitations of the trial version. And it often times made victory feel that much sweeter when we were able to make entire campaigns with that program, and win against the computer being stuck in the Bronze Age, even though they would be post-Iron Age.

Really, there have just been too many good memories of this game for me, especially because I played it a lot with my brother growing up. And I think all of my best memories come from playing the trial version, too. I eventually brought 'Reign of the Hittites' over to my retail version, just for the sake of nostalgia! It will always hold a special place in my heart.

• the_choson_onethe_choson_one Member, Insider ✭✭✭

My favorite memory playing Age of Empires... about 20 years ago, when I first got the boxed CD and played my first game. I have to say I didn't know any english, and that AoE version was ONLY in english (I know, not very smart from me). So I started a game without configuring anything (impatience), and here I was, with three guys awaiting near an amount of stones and fangs, without knowing anything of what to do.

I started exploring nearby territory, and discovered a strange little cart. ''Artifact''. Hmm... interesting, I've got an artifact. I have to say, an automated one. I tried to ''use'' it with a villager, and bringing it to the base, but nothing to do with it. So I continued exploring, between that amazing soundtrack and natural sounds (loved the bird ones), and started to build a house and barracks. Pretty awesome to see I can recruit some men with huge club now. I was veeery noob, so started building houses and recruiting more soldiers with club, and about economy... well, think I advanced to Tool Age after very 20 minutes or more.

I can't remember which faction I was on my first game, but remember perfectly that amazing feelings with my first stable and explorer. That gallop sound when moving my explorer (even if he was not galloping) was great. And I found some ruins with it, which later, when in Bronze, I tried to ''use'' with a priest, because of the same symbol when you move a unit to a ruins, and when you use a priest too. Yes, that was my ''intuition''.

On my fist game, never reached Iron Age. I was recruiting my first hoplite when several cavalries, broad swordsmen and few catapults/stonethrowers (can't remember exactly) rushed into my settlement. Whoah, that hoplite!! He killed three cavalries with the only help of two primitive watch-towers. The AI destroyed me on my first game, and without knowing english... ugh. But I was really amazed with that game. My first RTS, my first ancient times-based game... All things I discovered playing only a game, and all the questions without answer (¿what to do with that artifacts? ¿and with the ruins? ¿what about AI interaction destroying me?). There were a huge lot of things to explore, discover, try and enjoy.

And now, 20 years after my first game in Age of Empires, here I am. Writing in english (not a perfect one, I assume) and still playing Age of Empires, knowing all of it. Now I know when a videogame accompanies you for long 20 years, it's no more a simple videogame. It's some part of your life. Thanks, Ensemble. Thanks, Microsoft. Thanks, Forgotten. Love all of you.

• I fervently attempted to re-create Homer's The Odyssey in the scenario editor. I had Odysseus traveling to the lands of Aeolus (populated mostly by berry bushes) and Circe and had to fake my way through Scylla and Charybdis. I kept thinking, "I wish there were mythological units to go along with the heroes." I like to think I came up with the idea for Age of Mythology right there; 5 years before it came out.

• mayberrydjmayberrydj Member

I loved every moment of every game it is so hard to choose!