16GB Memory Recommended?

Is this real or a misprint in the Windows Store?

@rhrmn said:
Is this real or a misprint in the Windows Store?

I would think it is a misprint. The game is pretty much completely pre-rendered.

Probably it is a misprint because I saw earlier that download size was like 15 GB and I was like WTF .-.

I don’t think its a misprint

• The game requires a 64-bit version of Window 10
  • This means the game is going to be 64-bit from the ground up
  • Depending on what they want tot do the 64-bit exe could make room for more mods, larger maps, etc.
  • As such ‘recommending’ 16GB is probably reasonable

I think it’s for those with 4k resolution.

They must be talking about storage;
no current game requires that much RAM

But look at the minimum requirement, it is 4GB

It sounds reasonable. 16 GB RAM is not so hard/expensive to get on desktop computers, even notebooks are able to have such amount of RAM.

I would expect that recommended system requirements should allow the game to run even on the largest maps/population caps smoothly on maxed settings (max details, max effects etc.) on the max supported screen resolution.

@alik said:
It sounds reasonable. 16 GB RAM is not so hard/expensive to get on desktop computers, even notebooks are able to have such amount of RAM.

I would expect that recommended system requirements should allow the game to run even on the largest maps/population caps smoothly on maxed settings (max details, max effects etc.) on the max supported screen resolution.

Isn’t a 3D engine still old genie engine from 1997 with 4K resolution.

I just think it’s funny because Halo Wars 2 only recommends 8GB RAM.

Here’s the answer from Adam Isgreen during an interview with PC Games:

PC Games: Compared to the remaining moderate requirements, however, you recommend 16 gigabytes of memory. What makes the definitive edition consume so much memory?

Adam Isgreen: This is due to the high zoom levels when more and more must be displayed on the screen. Here, much more memory is needed. If you play with a lower zoom level, it might work with less memory. This is the wonderful thing about PCs. People find ways to get it running on all kinds of machines.

@rhrmn said:

PC Games: Compared to the remaining moderate requirements, however, you recommend 16 gigabytes of memory. What makes the definitive edition consume so much memory?

Adam Isgreen: This is due to the high zoom levels when more and more must be displayed on the screen. Here, much more memory is needed. If you play with a lower zoom level, it might work with less memory. This is the wonderful thing about PCs. People find ways to get it running on all kinds of machines.

Thanks for the info. It still feels like really poor optimization to me, tbh.

It shouldn’t really be a problem anyway, since we will all most likely play almost all the time at intermediate zoom levels.

@KingDarBoja said:
Probably it is a misprint because I saw earlier that download size was like 15 GB and I was like WTF .-.

Actually it’s 20GB, and will be more than that by release.

@Sargon said:

@rhrmn said:

It shouldn’t really be a problem anyway, since we will all most likely play almost all the time at intermediate zoom levels.

There’s no such thing as poor optimization when we’re talking about a PC exclusive game.

@WhiteWitcher311 said:

@Sargon said:

@rhrmn said:

There’s no such thing as poor optimization when we’re talking about a PC exclusive game.

Requiring more hardware resources than it reasonably should is poor optimization. Again, it does not matter that much if the 16 gb are only required with 4k max zoom out, since I seriously doubt anybody will play like that.

I honestly think they’re having themselves on and are just over-recommending.

I have 64 gb of memory so I’m not worried. I just want to zoom out further…

Well thats completely unnecessary.

I got a good GPU and 8 mb of ram and havent any problem, not in 4k btw high res but no 4k

Devs answered this question when they used to communicate anything.
16 GB is for using 4x zoom option.
You cant use it if you dont have more than 12gb i believe.
Anyways its kinda only for cinematics usage as it is way too zoomed in