A Few Ideas for remake

Since I’ve seen the report that AoE is getting a remaster with updated gameplay, I was just thinking that maybe developers could take some suggestions from userbase and hear our side of the story like what WE want to see in the game.
Now, first things first, I respect the work of people who take their time to produce game, and I do not want to get into details but, after playing Aoe 1 2 and 3 there are simply a few things that I consider would we worth introducing…

1.Market Exchange rate.
The idea about market seems nice where you can actually trade resources and focus on only one and then later on buy things such us, gold or I dunno stone or whatever, but the problem with all the games was that the rates were HUUGEE!
I mean, you get like what, 20 gold for 100 food in late game?
Didn’t really work for me I think it should be static, like 50 gold=100 food and so on.

2.Population Limit.
Taking into a consideration there are a lot of players who like to player the game a different way then lets say… “pros” play it, how bout letting us have a mod where you can build up to infinite workers/warriors alike?
I mean, 200 is good enough but, why not extending that number?
Sometimes a player just wants to have fun with the AI to test his abilities, and I don’t think 200 is good enough in that case…

3.Infinite resources.
This one IS a bit tricky and controversial but imagine it would be possible for resources to “replenish” after a while like in terms of gold mines or trees growing back after being used?
This would make the game last longer and could allow the players to focus more on warfare rather then economy.

4.Big maps support and 8v8 player mode.
I know this may sound crazy, but if there IS a slightest of possibility of introducing even bigger maps into the game where up to 8 players per a team could battle it would sure be AWESOME!
I think that given the circumstances today, the gaming equipment we posses now is far superior to the one from 90s so maybe introducing this kind of a thing couldn’t be impossible at all.

PLEASE NOTE, I’m not saying all of these things necessarily NEED to be in the game,but having an extra mod like this, and allowing us to mod the game even further could really help game live longer in the long run. I know a couple of games that stayed popular mainly due to their modes rather then core gameplay.
Perhaps it would be a wise option for Age of Empires to do the same, what do you guys think?

1.Changing the market exchange rate is a good idea, but the main logic was that, after you sold food like 10 times the exchange rate went from 50 to 40 and then 30 and so on. You had to strategize with that as well and it might seem a bit unfair, but it just makes your decisions more important.
2.I completely agree with this one, but Too many units might cause lag,crashes in some situation and if the movement is tile based like before It’s gonna be a bit tricky to do, because the units won’t have space.
3.Or they could just make fewer nodes, that don’t run out.Still, a good idea.
4.Big thumbs up for this one.

I’d like to agree with this post, but there are a lot of technical difficulties that have to be resolved in order to make the 2. and the 4. idea possible. For example:

• The engine can’t use enough cores, so it can’t result in smooth gameplay
  • If we wanted 8vs8 mod, the population cap would have to be reduced significantly and if everyone only had a 50 unit pop cap, It wouldn’t be that fun
  • You would also have to deal with connection problems. More players=more lag .

Market exchange can be altered slightly but more importantly I would like to see if you can trade on land. This makes gold almost infinite.

Regarding point 3 I think economy is a huge aspect of this game and most of the time a game changer. This makes it doable for people who don’t get the highest APM but still can win because of efficiency in economical planning. However as stated above it would be nice if at least food and gold become infinite in a way, by using farms and trade. Wood seems always plenty available.

What would be really cool (and extremely useful) in my humble opinion, is to choose the priority of unit to attack.
I’ll explain:

• I create a group of 20 archers (again it would be nice to select more than 20/40 units)
  • I give to 3 of them as priority Cavalry, while the other 17 main target are villagers.
  • When they are slaughtering a village, if some poor Horsed man comes only 3 will focus on him, while the other will continue the butchering.

Of course, it would be nice to give to other sub-groups other main targets…

1. You can’t buy resources in the market at all, so there are no exchange rates to talk about. Being able to buy gold in the market would make it too easy to get, reducing its value. Especially with the rates you suggested.
  2. The population limit will probably be increased.
  3. The finiteness of gold is what makes it valuable. More ways of getting gold could be added, but it should not be easy to come by. Something like forests growing back would make more sense, but they want to keep the gameplay as close to original as possible, so things like that will probably not be added.
  4. Large map sizes and more player would be a nice addition if they can do it without compromising performance. But unfortunately it would probably just cause too much lag.

@qweytr24 said:

1. You can’t buy resources in the market at all, so there are no exchange rates to talk about. Being able to buy gold in the market would make it too easy to get, reducing its value. Especially with the rates you suggested.

I wanted so see it was an option for them to add market and trade, just like in Aoe 2.
Even if my rates won’t do, high maybe, but still I would like to see something tried.
Would make the game more interesting IMO, also if players would dislike it, some kind of option to disable it is always welcome

I believe we need more options and modes for multiplayer, that would be great…

1. Co-operative PvE scenarios would be nice, especially with an in-game timer, score-tracker and potentially a leader board to see which teams ‘solve’ the map the fastest. This was the bread and butter of AoEO for a lot of people.

2. Being able to walk over farms. It was annoying plopping farms down in your base and watching the terrible congestion it created (especially with the old path-finding).

3. Comprehensive post-game stats like a modern RTS, for example, APM, build-order, army value charts etc.

@Raw1812 said:

1. Co-operative PvE scenarios would be nice, especially with an in-game timer, score-tracker and potentially a leader board to see which teams ‘solve’ the map the fastest. This was the bread and butter of AoEO for a lot of people.

Upvote this!

@Raw1812 said:
3. Comprehensive post-game stats like a modern RTS, for example, APM, build-order, army value charts etc.

Will be nice!

I grew up with this game and I like it the way it is.

1. In AoE 1 you can trade but with trade boats instead of a market. I think it’s fun. You search for a dock and send there your trade boat with X food/wood/stone and you get Y gold when it returns. Maybe your enemy doesn’t want to see your trade boats so he builds a fleet to protect the dock so you build a fleet to protect your boats and destroy the enemy fleet. I think it’s more fun than trading on land with some carts and getting gold for free.

2. I’m not sure about this one, but i think most players would lose control of the game at 500-700 pop limit.

3. This is a bad idea. When will the game end? What is the strategy? You just keep safe some berry bush, gold, stone and a little forest and fight forever? What if you don’t have enough space to build a house because you can’t cut down the forest? If you want to play with your friend without resource limitation then use the cheat codes and it’s done. You have your infinite resources.

4. 8v8 could be fun, but would definitely be long as ■■■■.

If at least the villagers do not need to bring the resources to the place, just like AoE3, it is already welcome.
The trade I agree.
Population limit, i dont think so, but we can have more limit now, maybe 300?

@Zsombro said:

1. I’m not sure about this one, but i think most players would lose control of the game at 500-700 pop limit.

That’s not really a problem, because then you could just set the limit to what you felt comfortable before you started a game. The population limit increase was a welcome change for me when I first got AOE II HD

AoE 2 pop limit is good, but if you increase it too much you will have a hard time in a more micro intensive game. Of course it is just a choice for everyone and it would be great to play with the preferred pop limit.

Ok. I changed my mind. Make it optional.

More options is always good :slight_smile:
And knowing me, I would massive increase the population limit on a single player skirmish just to test my abilities (and to see how out of my depths I could go :smiley: )

I agree with the pop limit to an extent.

Although I like the fact that resources are hard to come by, otherwise you can have matches that last longer than intended :neutral: