A way to load a saved game or a replay into the scenario editor

It might sound strange, but I would like to be able to load a saved game into the scenario editor to be able to start a game on a map of a game that was already played, or to start a game in the middle of a replay. For instance, you played a game where the enemy had you surrounded and you lost, but you want to be able to try to break the seige again and again until you are able to do so. I don’t care if all the unit’s pathing or current actions are lost, just being able to say, play on a battlefield of a game you played before would be a unique experience and is difficult to recreate in the scenario editor from scratch. There’s no way to easily set the buildings or unit’s health without doing it manually and for each unit using triggers. Perhaps a simple slider added to the unit tab to set starting health would be nice. Oh, and buildings walls in game is different than doing it in the editor. Overall it’s just hard to recreate the “played in” feel that a map generated using this method would provide.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone have any ideas how it could be done?

1 Like

me to i am looking for

I’ve Googled but can’t find any tools that would aid with this, so just adding in my voice to say I’d like this. I’m playing some multiplayer maps with friends at the moment and want to create new versions of those maps after each playthrough, to generate a sort of narrative campaign that alters alongside the players actions between maps. Manually editing the old map to account for all the building/landscape changes during the game is too cumbersome, so would ideally be able to import a replay endstate.

Oh, in the original game it actually was possible to start a game in the middle of a replay. You just had to watch the rec, then open the menu and save the game at the moment you want to start at. Then you would be able to load that save file and keep playing. Of course the other players wouldn’t be there, but it was still useful for occasional tests or experiments. Sadly I don’t think this option is available in DE.

It might be possible to create a tool for loading a map from a rec as a scenario though. Need to double check what information is saved in the rec, but it’s something I can add to my list of things to look into.

Thanks @TWest6709, be interesting to see what the art of the possible is if you get chance to poke about some day

I can only speak for myself as I’m not sure what others’ would be using it for, but for me simply retaining the position of landscape elements and units/buildings would be sufficient. Wouldn’t need anything around unit states, triggers, players techs/resources etc.