About building icons

I’m pretty worried because have seen in IGN gameplay and many other videos that building icons are exactly the Age of Mythology ones. Are they going to keep that shame in the Definitive Release?

I can’t understand that icon-recycle when original icons lightly reworked would be awesome and keep AoE essence, but using the Age of Mythology ones… it’s like adulterate Age of Empires.

What do you think?

You will get used to it.

@EzyWin said:
You will get used to it.

I am playing Age of Empires since 1997, it’s not that easy to get used to it after 20 years with original icons :confused:

They possibly want to streamline the icons similar to AoE 2 and will do the same for 3? We already have a lot of “AoE 2 style” features like the walkable farms, gather points, smart villagers etc. Given that Forgotten Empires was based around AoE 2, it’s expected.

They may also have not finished the icons, but then they probably would have simply used the old ones.

If modding is allowed, it would be easy to change icons.

I’d also like a mod with realistic unit sizes and speeds now that the buildings are so detailed :smiley: Would be fun for aesthetic or epic scenarios

you are right, if you recycle the icons of other AoE / AoMs, I would see it as a missed commitment, and relaunch the series so much as to sell AoE4, and not as a 20th edition, done well for fans … I hope no, and see the icons so they look like AoE 1997

I think the new icons are better than the originals because origially you really could not tell what the building was doing from its icon. But its cheap if they recycle AOM’s icons

I don’t see why they don’t make any new, may be are place holder.

@Augustusman said:
I don’t see why they don’t make any new, may be are place holder.

most likely

@tpojat said:
I think the new icons are better than the originals because origially you really could not tell what the building was doing from its icon. But its cheap if they recycle AOM’s icons

That’s is true but it was unique back in 90’s. If you look at the current icon, the design takes away the unique feeling of buildings at ancient age and looks more like modernized ones. It is like playing AOE 3 with AOE 2 icons :lol:

very strange, although in a video was missing the icon of the Ruins … hopefully

I saw in the last official video they replaced a few already.

@MarceloMoura10 said:
I saw in the last official video they replaced a few already.

In which video? Link please!

@TalentedZebra9 I don’t know from which video you got that screenshot but I hope it doesn’t break any NDA agreement.

I don’t like them or the user interface, goes beyond remastering into cartoon land and lacks the civilisation sets individual flavour from the original.

@“Mystic Taboo” said:
I don’t like them or the user interface, goes beyond remastering into cartoon land and lacks the civilisation sets individual flavour from the original.

+1

The UI does look like it’s made for the kids on the short bus…

I hate it.