About the released version and Pathing in generall!

Okay i was playing the closed beta, and dev’s wrote there, that they are not able to work on the pathing aslong the Performance is so bad!Espacialy the Rendering!

So now the released Version has a better Performance in multiplayer.
Also cause you cannot zoom so far anymore. BUT.

.) as i remember dev’s wrote on discord that we got a dedicated matchmaking on release, where is it?

.) pathing is horrible .

Okay now to Pathing.
i do not think you will be able to fix this in AoE:DE.
But please if you plan to add AoE2 : DE think about creating a new engine, instead of trying to use a 20-30 year old engine!

The Thing is, atm you should only Play with 50-75 supply , not more.
Units block each other so easy , also if 2-3 Units try to follow another unit thats nearly impossible.
The pathing in generall kill this game for me.

I like the decision that you go away from formation’s.
Normaly this would open up alot of Micro potential, but the Problem is models are WAY to big.
and the way they move is soo clunky.

It feels like you was trying to use a Engine for a 800x600 to a 4k Thing.
But only by increasing the Pixels and not adjusting the models + pathing corectly.

Good Things about the game.

.) In singleplayer, if you Play with a higher zoom, you are still able to zoom out far enough.
The look / graphic of the game is very nice!

.) Alot of mission’s and you are able to Play against KI . For People who enjoy stuff like that, its a very good Remake!!!

For me personaly, i guess i wanted to much from this game.
I saw screenshots and Videos, and it Looks really nice for such a “old” game.
Also the Hotkey Setup is very nice, and you are able to Change everythink.
This is perfect! you could read about this hotkey’s before you bough the game.

So i decidet to buy it.
And i was very disapointed in the beta, and im still not happy with the game.
It feels like, they worked really hard on the graphic Thing also with zoom and so on.
Also on the hotkey Setup .
Then the time run’s out, and they selled the game.

i guess a half year more intense work on the pathing and unit size would help alot.
Or maybe used a new engine, i mean something must be aviable allready, cause age of Empires 4 or not? :wink:

Fazit :
.) Singleplayer - very nice
.) graphic Remake - > very good espacialy on higher zoom
.) hotkey -> good!
.) Multiplayer Lobby Support , and ranking System not existend or very bad in generall ( no dedicated Support , not enough filters )
.) pathing catastrophal

Yeah the pathfinding is bad. I think it’s even worse than original AoE. I’ve kind of gotten used to it after around 15hrs of play but I’d still like it to be improved of course. It’s worse in the campaigns because they have elaborate cliff/forest/wall designs with narrow pathways, it’s not as bad in skirmish games.

creating a new engine
Really?

I got Scenarios in skirmish, while my army was going into a complete other direction, even the path was free.
I really don’t know how this game gonna left the beta Stadium?

Who decidet, this is a finished game? this guy should Play a few games, and Show us on stream, how he handle this amazing pathing.
And then he should Argument, why this game is finished, i mean this Problems was allready here in beta.

Who the ■■■■ decidet to Close the beta, release the game with the same issues??

maybe i understand the term beta wrong? Is it not here, to figure out some Problems and fix it, before it Comes to the release state?
Release state = Finished product.

whats going on?

Even the old starcraft 1 has a better pathing then this.
I mean on sc remastered, they told us, they won’t Change anythink on the gameplay.
And pathing, only scale it up.

Here if you watch some Videos from AoE.

"Improved zoom -> zoom out very far and back in with high Details " -> not even possible anymore on skirmishes

"Improved Ai Pathing " Where ?

“intelligent villiger” where? you have to babysitt them anyway, alot of time they stuck beetween other villiger and do no work, and Show not up on “idle worker’s”

“increased Pop cap” ofcourse its in the game, but did you try allready to move 15 Units in the way like you want?
its nearly impossible.
Do you think you can handle this with 100 supply=? “lol”

i am very sad that games like this goes into released state.

One Thing i really dislike about pathing is that if i set several waypoints for a villager/scouting unit the unit doesn’t walk along them but just runs to the last point. I always press the way points with right mouse button and the last one with left mouse button (as i’m used to it from standart aoe1 and aoe2). Am i doing something wrong or is it just completly buggy?

With such a terrible pathfing EVERY RTS game is DEAD from day 1

They knew it, but they didnt care. probably too much work on the old engine…

RIP

@“teutonic tanks” said:
One Thing i really dislike about pathing is that if i set several waypoints for a villager/scouting unit the unit doesn’t walk along them but just runs to the last point. I always press the way points with right mouse button and the last one with left mouse button (as i’m used to it from standart aoe1 and aoe2). Am i doing something wrong or is it just completly buggy?

I can’t remember from vanilla AOE, but in DE it’s the same as most RTS games - shift & right mouse for waypoints.

It only seems to work for movement though - if I want to send a villager to scout around a little then go back to chopping, when I shift-right-click the tree at the end he goes straight there.

@arapiCOMMANDER said:
With such a terrible pathfing EVERY RTS game is DEAD from day 1

They knew it, but they didnt care. probably too much work on the old engine…

RIP

Eh, it could do with some improvement but it doesn’t get in the way of playing the game. You have to keep an eye on your units sometimes, but that was always the case in vanilla when there was no attack-move anyway.

Hotkeys are not good actually because you can change only hotkeys related to units, but for example you can’t - at the moment - put a hotkey for researches (like wall researches, watch tower researches etc).

Pathing should be fixed till units don’t block themselves behind a building or a forest whereas a path is available BUT not more because pathing is also part of balance with ranged/melee units.

I don’t mind they decided to keep the game as close to the original. StarCraft remastered also did that, but a few quality of life improvements might make the game more enjoyable: SHIFT commanding units to do multiple actions, a hold position command, prioritize targets that hit your units are just a few that come to my mind. I also find the attack move command is a bit clunky to use, it could be more responsive and the units act faster when commanded