Add Gendarmes in Ecury for Frank

It’s a nice unit to counter mass halb. I even believe it’s usable in the castle age. A good replacement/alternative to/for hand canoneer, which are not vulnerable to e-skirmisher. From a design standpoint, a good unit.

4 Likes

spear line gets shredded by opponents archers. you don’t see the spear line in team games outside of feudal.

but the point is, Franks pretty much have the best Paladins.

1 Like

No Mat, you see, we need to keep adding more ‘strategy’ to Franks until their playrate reaches 30% and their winrate reaches 60%

7 Likes

agree complete. but that is where mats unit could come in to replace the nonsense axe thrower?

Uh mat didnt propose a unit and the axe thrower isnt nonsense.

3 Likes

I’m still wondering what an ecury is…

3 Likes

Its french for Stable apparently.

The unit is good but need to be replaced for me for Gendarme, and be train in casern at least or make the throwing axe man for wikings, byzantins, germans and franks.

It’s a stable sorry my bad.

It’s not about win a game, but add more possibilty and strategy, if you watch my thread Gendarmes cost will be very high for example 3 paladins could cost 1 gendarme.

Why? You already have a great heavy cav unit.

Or how about we leave the civ alone and dont go buffing civs that dont need buffs?

Such a unit would never see play unless it was so ungodly broken that it had no counter.

1 Like

not for byzantine. they can have varanguian guard uu

Ok so I will need to pay for this Gendarme unit with the lives of three paladins… wow, a bloodthirsty unit indeed

Or alternatively, does it mean that I can get 3 paladins when I delete a Gendarme unit thingy?
Even more amazing

So the suggestion is that Franks’ 192-HP 5/7-armour Paladins aren’t heavy enough to represent French heavy cavalry, so give them a new unique unit that is essentially a faster version of the War Elephant?

By the way, the picture in the first post reminds me of the beta graphics for heavy cavalry units:
beta-knights
From left to right: Cavalier, Paladin, Frankish Paladin.

4 Likes

Okay, you know what, I’m game. Let’s see what the design space is for a heavier cavalry unit.

Cost wise it must be cheaper than a regular battle elephant. More expensive would just be silly compared to the rest of the game. A battle elephant is 120 food 70 gold, a knight is 60 food 75 gold, so I’d say a reasonable maximum cost is 170 total resources, 70 food 100 gold.

Speed wise it must be faster than 1.0. Below that is the design space for heavy infantry and elephants. As a bonus it would also not make sense for a unit that slow to be a lancer. An eagle has a speed of 1.15, so I’d put a realistic minimum speed at 1.1 before husbandry, where the knight line has 1.35.

So there is some space. With these limitations, what sort of super heavy cavalry unit could be build? What would the realistic limits on hp, armor and attack be? Forget what kind of unit it would be supposed to be and for what civ for a moment, let’s just treat this as a case study for how much room this game has for heavier horse cavalry.

Why? You already have a great heavy cav unit.

Paladins are not really interesting, i’m talking about a new unit in the castle who need to be for me Gendarme.

Or how about we leave the civ alone and dont go buffing civs that dont need buffs?
It’s not buff since, some civalisations will have throwing axe man.

Such a unit would never see play unless it was so ungodly broken that it had no counter.

You contredict yourself who say it’s too OP, i said recently it’s a strong unit more than paladins but with cavalry weakness and the fact that it’s slower than a cavalry and with
a high cost, for me the cost will be the highest like 70 foods and 100 golds. (Pan Calvus Idea)

No it could be slow like Elephant, i thought 30% was like that. Gendarmes represent the Heaviest Cavalry but if you want another unit like Gendarme more fast i’m agree too.

My proposition is an heavy cavalry slower than the cavalry but more HP, strong attack, but weak attack speed (the weakest among the cavalry and units), speed too like i said, and their cost.

But your proposition is interesing too if this cavalry is faster in a way, i’m open, the idea is to change the axe throwing units who don’t represent Frank honestly.

Gendarmes could be still the name because it represent more the french heaviest cavalry
Maybe you have a cavalry name idea.

For their HP knowing Elephant is 450 at 600 i would say 340 and maximum 480.

For their attack i would say 16 at 18.

For their armor Melee armor 2 piece armor 3 like a regular Paladin.

It’s for me a slow melee unit like the Teutons.

So the suggestion is that Franks’ 192-HP 5/7-armour Paladins aren’t heavy enough to represent French heavy cavalry, so give them a new unique unit that is essentially a faster version of the War Elephant?

By the way, the picture in the first post reminds me of the beta graphics for heavy cavalry units:
beta-knights
From left to right: Cavalier, Paladin, Frankish Paladin.

THIS THIS the last one is perfect for gendarmes

It’s perfect, you see this skin make them in castle, replace those throwing axe dude.

And how much would this unit cost? So for 25 extra gold you get 2 to 4 extra attack and nesrly double the hp?