Age of Empires Public Update Previews (PUPs) present an opportunity for our incredible players to get hands-on experience with exciting changes ahead of major updates. They also provide an opportunity to give feedback and help us prepare for upcoming major releases. PUP builds will generally contain new features, content and bug fixes.
Owners of Age of Empires IV on Steam are invited to join us for a public preview of the Season Four update. During the timeframes listed below, you can access a preview branch of the game, and provide feedback and bug reports on the Steam forums.
As with previous PUPs, we ask that you concentrate your feedback on expected functionality, including major bugs, notable crashes and more. Players should submit bug and balance concerns in the Steam forums. In addition, we are asking specifically for feedback regarding changes to the Hardest AI.
This newest PUP includes a whole slew of changes and updates, including:
- NEW GAME MODE: Nomad! A callback to Age of Empires II, Nomad sees players begin with three randomly placed Villagers. Choose the ideal location to build your first Town Center and begin your rise through the Ages.
- Three New Maps (Four Lakes, Continental, Marshland)
- Significant improvements to the Mod Browser experience with a focus on improved discoverability
- AI changes and updates, in conjunction with making the Hardest AI more of a challenge—please note that the changes to Hardest AI are not specifically related to the Season Four PUP and will be released prior to the official Season Four update as part of a minor patch
- Mini-map size can now be toggled between Normal, 125%, and 150%.
- Landmark balance improvements—less-used Landmarks will now be present more viable strategies or have unique features to stand out as a compelling choice
- …And a whole lot of bug fixes & balance changes
To view the Release Notes, click here
- START - Tuesday, Jan 17th @ 10:00 am PT (1700 UTC)
- END - Monday, Jan 23rd @ 10:00 am PT (1700 UTC)
- STEAM FORUMS CLOSE - Tuesday, Jan 24th @ 10:00 am PT (1700 UTC)
Please be aware that server maintenance will occur on Wednesday, Jan 18th from 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm PT (2130 to 2330 UTC). Players will be unable to access Multiplayer during this time frame.
- How To Access Preview
- Support FAQ
- Release Notes, Known Issues, & New Features
- How To Report a Bug
We can’t wait to hear your feedback about all the exciting changes coming to Age of Empires IV.
The Age of Empires Team