Age of Empires : DE Demo. When?

When the Demo version will arrive?

We don’t know. They might not even have a “demo” version. Could possibly be an open beta just before release.

Devs please give us a demo version to start with. 19 oct is far away, and I cant wait that long. Just a single campaign mission will be enough like aoeror demo.

A demo would have to have things more polished than they are now. You can’t just chuck out a demo that’s got too many bugs in it :slight_smile: The original game had a demo that was also fully compatible in multi-player, so things like that would need to be considered!

The demo at Gamescomm was playable :slight_smile:

19 Oct is not far away, don’t be ridiculous. It’s like a month and a half…that’s way less than you usually wait for a game. We probably won’t get a demo before release.

Talking about the subject of the topic, but giving a slightly deviant from the main purpose of it:
When demos stopped to be a thing for gaming industry? Back in the day I remember of having fun with countless demos sold on cds in magazines, every AAA game had a Demo… But I don’t know when, it suddenly stopped to be a thing to have a demo of promising games. Now we have a bunch of teasers and Beta access, but no Demos…

I can understand on why there wouldn’t be a demo for AoE: DE, although. The game is just around the corner

@MannedLeopard58 said:
Talking about the subject of the topic, but giving a slightly deviant from the main purpose of it:
When demos stopped to be a thing for gaming industry? Back in the day I remember of having fun with countless demos sold on cds in magazines, every AAA game had a Demo… But I don’t know when, it suddenly stopped to be a thing to have a demo of promising games. Now we have a bunch of teasers and Beta access, but no Demos…

I can understand on why there wouldn’t be a demo for AoE: DE, although. The game is just around the corner

We aren’t in 2000-2008
Mostly demos are dead.

Demos aren’t really necessary…just do a free weekend and then relock the game on Monday. That’s the advantage of digital game distribution.

@Augustusman said:

@MannedLeopard58 said:

We aren’t in 2000-2008
Mostly demos are dead.

AoE 3: TAD had a good demo if I remember well, but yeah, demos vanished from earth. If you want to test gameplay early on, go watch IGN videos and pretend that this is you playing it

I don’t agree with free weekends at times. Download a 50GB game that takes half the time, and if you can’t play that weekend, no demo.

On the plus side, we didn’t have so much news and videos about things 10 years ago.

@Penelinfi said:
I don’t agree with free weekends at times. Download a 50GB game that takes half the time, and if you can’t play that weekend, no demo.

On the plus side, we didn’t have so much news and videos about things 10 years ago.

Download the game at free weekends to realize you can’t play it x.x

Ahh… this forum, noone uses the search function, every thread exists multiple times.
As I elaborated earlier, they are pretty smart about the release so far, affordable 20€, one-fits-all edition, no pre-order bs and so on. Even the win10 exclusivity is a smart move from a buisness standpoint at this time, as people are pretty disappointed with steam right now. However, it also means sacrificing half of the playerbase in favor of the exclusivity.
It would be really stupid not to bring a multiplayer demo. Restrict to one or free rotation civs and restrict host-options, but be compatible with the full version. People aren’t convinced about buying stuff in the win10 store, so you need to provide proof of a very good product. Starcraft 2 got free-to-play in multiplayer as well.
Not bringing a demo & killing the steam-userbase with an RTS title isn’t going to work.
Also remember that the demo is really easy to do, it’s just greying-out some options. It’s not that they need to develop a special demo level like back in the days.
A demo is going to make the playerbase independed of the actual sales figures, everyone can play from day1. The poor who need to household their money and the rich. If the playerbase doesn’t reach a critical mass, it’s gonna die down - and the game needs the playerbase as it’s mainly a muliplayer title. Furthermore, the release is gonna spearhead 3 additional releases and the win10 storefront. They can’t afford failure, a demo has to come.

Also Blizzcon is comming and if my prediction turns out true, they are gonna reveal an Overwatch RTS set during the Omnic Crisis. (In genereal, they are gonna switch around IPs and Genres, a diablo-like Starcraft for example).

EDIT: About the “when”, I’d say the optimal point to drop the demo is 3-7 days before the release.

For comparison, Halo Wars 2 came out on Feb. 21 2017, but a demo for Halo Wars 2 didn’t come out until March 13 2017. If there is a demo, I would place my bets on it releasing after launch of the full game.

@GrimToadstool said:
Even the win10 exclusivity is a smart move from a buisness standpoint at this time, as people are pretty disappointed with steam right now. However, it also means sacrificing half of the playerbase in favor of the exclusivity.

Try sacrificing 72% of the player base Operating system market share (OK, like 62% if we leave out the Linux nerds and so on) Doesn’t make much sense in my book, unless they somehow hope AoE DE is going to make countless W7 users move on to 10. Which would be delusional, to say the least…

@Opt1mvs said:

@GrimToadstool said:
Even the win10 exclusivity is a smart move from a buisness standpoint at this time, as people are pretty disappointed with steam right now. However, it also means sacrificing half of the playerbase in favor of the exclusivity.

Try sacrificing 72% of the player base Operating system market share (OK, like 62% if we leave out the Linux nerds and so on) Doesn’t make much sense in my book, unless they somehow hope AoE DE is going to make countless W7 users move on to 10. Which would be delusional, to say the least…

You can never know, when a counted lost customer is truely a lost customer. It depends on how you count and what statistics you pull from it. But the point is, and I completely agree with you, that it’s a huge number.

It’s a selfish, stupid decision that is being done at the expense of fans - almost all of whom use Steam and already own several AoE games there - rather than for fans. It’s sheer greed.

@AAHale said:
It’s a selfish, stupid decision that is being done at the expense of fans - almost all of whom use Steam and already own several AoE games there - rather than for fans. It’s sheer greed.

Lol, welcome to the real world, companies don’t care too much their fans.

Yet Steam is not sheer greed for reselling games and taking 30% profit while having game at same price as company would. Maybe it’s the consumer who is sheer greed, wants 50 games pay next to nothing for them. BTW, even considering making a DEx3 is not for the fans, neither is AoE 4…

How does the world work these days? Money for nothing and your chicks (or anything else) for free

Corporate greed leads to competition, competition leads to consumer benefits. That’s how capitalism works. Greed is only bad, if it comes from a cartel, because it kills the competition. That’s why usually cartels are illegal… unless the gourverment is part of it cough German Cars cough.