Age of Empires DE Historical Issues

Unfortunately, this analysis is 22 years too late. The game had to take some liberties when it was designed last century, and too much deviation would’ve erased the nostalgic factor too much. That’s why they gave the game QOL updates and improved graphics as the main update compared to the original.

That said, The new sprites look more historically accurate in general compared to the original. This is in contrast to AoE2 DE, in which Berserkers still have horned helmets and Throwing Axemen still throw huge double-bit axes with 2 hands.

2 Likes

Yes, so i have been informed. Would be nice if they re-did the engine, though i guess the development time is ridiculous then. Maybe 24 years from now? :yum:

I am looking forward to mod-support. Will this be a thing though? I feel that they should have announced this by now , since they already launched AOEII:DE.

Sad but true. I guess we will just have to wait for mods.

I guess we would have way less issues, but it wouldn’t feel like AOE2 anymore…

afaik, the horned helmet is sorta accurate.
Sorta, not 100%

But I ask me why Microsoft dont put in the best things from AoE II in AoE I? Things like global trading with ressources in marketplace, trolleys, fish traps or gates. The pathfinding is worse than in the original game. Why they cant copy the pathfinding from the second part?

1 Like

Yeah and according to Wikipedia the two games are on the same engine. So there’s no real excuse.

1 Like

Since AOE never had gates, this would change gameplay.

Same for the pathfinding because AOE2 uses formations and AOE1 does not

1 Like

But it would be nice!

Yet, feel like AOE2 with both gates and formations.

As far as historical issues, I noticed that they haven’t changed the inaccurate, archaic, and/or inappropriate AI names in the random map mode. Since Microsoft recently released an update for the game, presumably there are at least some employees interested in making further improvements for the game, so I mention this issue again here.

In a separate thread I suggested replacements for some of the AI leader names: AI Player lists (Historical Leaders)

Let’s get rid of Macedonian leader names comprised of Syracuse leaders, for example, as well as mythological names and philosopher/doctor names.

1 Like