Age of Empires DE opens then closes after initial splash screen

Hey Guys,

Hoping someone can help. I’ve tried to run age of empires DE for weeks now. I’ve updated my drivers. Ran some services and lots of things. I’ll see the splash screen. It will go black and then the app will close. Idk what else to do!

1 Like

Enabling the built-in local administrator account and running the game from that account might help to set things straight. If it runs there then you should be able to run it from other accounts too and you can disable the built-in administrator account again.

How to Enable the Built-in Administrator Account:

1. Click Cortana Search Icon , and then type the phrase cmd in the Search box at the bottom in the Taskbar. Do not press Enter.
  2. In the search results list, right-click on Command Prompt , and then select Run as Administrator .
  3. When you are prompted by User Account Control (UAC), click Continue .
  4. At the command prompt, type net user administrator /active:yes , and then press ENTER .
  5. Type net user administrator {Password} , and then press ENTER.
    Note: Please replace the {Password} tag with your passwords which you want to set to administrator account.
  6. Type exit , and then press ENTER .
  7. Log out, and you’ll now see the Administrator account as a choice.

How to Disable the Built-in Administrator Account:

1. Click Cortana Search Icon, and then type the phrase cmd in the Search box at the bottom of the Taskbar. Do not press Enter.
  2. In the search results list, right-click on Command Prompt , and then select Run as Administrator .
  3. When you are prompted by User Account Control (UAC), click Continue .
  4. At the command prompt, type net user administrator /active:no , and then press ENTER .
  5. Type exit , and then press ENTER .
1 Like

I just tried this. It didn’t work ): It works on my desktop at work lol but not here I guess ):

Just a few more questions. :slight_smile:

Could you give your home desktop’s specs?
And installed Windows OS version?
Which antivirus program is installed?

1 Like

Attached are my specs, I also will attach my graphics card info

Graphics

Graphics card info

Your laptop’s specs are fine and your Windows installation is up-to-date too.

Is there any third party antivirus application installed?

E.g. Trend Micro, McAfee etc.

1 Like

No I deleted antivirus and VPN. Just running windows defender now. I did that because I read that it could block the game. Next thing I’ma do is update the bios and update all device drivers from ASUS, because I recently did a clean install of Windows 10. If that doesn’t work then shrugs. I’ll probably just end up buying it again when it comes out on steam

1 Like

After that clean install of Windows did you enable DirectPlay?

I didn’t. Should I try that? I mean other games play I believe. I even downloaded Candy Crush lol to try to get the store to see that I own the game and run it

Yes, you should enable that one as DirectPlay is needed for the game’s network communication functionality. Don’t forget to reboot after enabling.

1 Like

I have the same problem

Is this regarding the running AOE DE beta or released MS store version?

I got in the MS Store, after installation it crashes after the splash screen (

1 Like

Both AOE DE cross-play test beta as already released AOE DE version are delivered through the MS store at the moment. So that you got it through MS store doesn’t say anything to me. But you posted here in the normal AOE forum so I guess it must be about a recently purchased version?

What did you try or check already about tips above in this thread?

E.g. is DirectPlay enabled. Also list your system model and specifications. Installed AV program(s) and last but not least your Windows release version (1803, 1809, 1903).

Yes, I have AOE DE, which I recently received. Did everything that you wrote above. Windows version 1903. DirectPlay is included. PC specifications below:

%D0%90%D0%BD%D0%BD%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%B0%D1%86%D0%B8%D1%8F%202019-08-09%20161313

Could you open this link in Edge and check if it is installed on your system?
ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN

Microsoft Game Services for Xbox.

It seems to be a requirement for running AOE DE on 1903 builds, but it has not been added to the dependencies of the main appx package yet so it’s not installed automatically.

Yes, I have it all installed, I immediately checked, even before contacting the forum

@Nikiziki
So you did check for Windows and MS Store updates too?

Did you upgrade your Windows very recently to 1903 release?

It looks like your Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 needs a driver update.