Age of Empires: DE Release Update - Age of Empires

As bummed as I am, Iā€™m also hopeful for the delay. To be completely honest, looking at the videos I wasnā€™t planning on being incredibly impressed with this game. I figured it would be a cut-copy reboot with some graphics overhauls and a few new levels, armies, etc. Which Iā€™m sure is close to what we would have been getting now probably. More nostalgia than anything else, which I was still excited for. But this delay gives me hope that itā€™ll be closer to what Iā€™ve really been waiting for - a super awesome reboot with improved AI, a much more user friendly sandbox, and I very, very much hope multi-player campaigns. Some new game modes with the classics would be pretty sweet too.

To everyone whoā€™s upset, I get that itā€™s easy to be mad at MS. I completely agree that announcing a delay a week before release is beyond crappy, and not launching any of their products on Steam is plain silly. But look at this as an opportunity to (hopefully) get a better Age of Empires, not just a copy of the original with aesthetic upgrades. Beta for all pre-orders placed prior to this announcement would be a nice olive branch.

Delaying releases is never a grateful job. But concerning my experiences with beta I appreciate the delay. There are lots of glitches to fix. Multiplayer is unstable and has poor Performance (in comparison to other RTS games, e.g. Supreme Commander). I am AOE fan for ā€œcenturiesā€ ā€¦ But I would like to get a good working game. Still playing AoE II which is more stable and has better multiplayer performance than the HD version. Keep on going to improve it and it will be loved by the community, I expect.

No disappointment , No sad. I know this thing will happen soon or late. AOE DE need more options for gamer to attract players from some big communities in Vietnam and China. Many of them complain about the big resistance to play AOE DE is that they can not play without unlimited farm and they would rather play the old AOE version than play AOE DE if that problem can not be satisfied. The AOE players in Vietnam and China is biggest and most loyal with Age of Empires during 20 years history of this game so they deserve the attention of game developers. This is my personal opinion for the purpose of developing the AOE community, without the intention of denigrating or degrading the developerā€™s credibility. I hope you all take note of this in order to improve the game. Looking forward to the day AOE DE launches. There is only one love that is AOE !

Although itā€™s not ready, the launching date is an appointment to users. So disappointed.

AOE DE team eventually deceived players by change of releasing day. If I knew this fact earlier, I would not buy pre order AOE DE.

Anyway I want to be a beta tester. If I canā€™t be, then I really consider to get refund.

Although it is unfair to postpone the game by not a week or two but months, I feel like that it is also good, as this will give the developers more time to make the game better. Keep up with the good work and I hope that youā€™ll end up with the best game in 2018 :wink:

Hello,

you can not imagine the feeling that i have, of course we are talking about game itā€™s not comparable to
the disaster that we faced since few months (earthquake , huracane etcā€¦)
but a lot of people give money since a long time for this game and a lot of people already schedule
some events take vacation only for this date.
cannot imagine that you hierarchy are on the same situation and receive this bad news at the same time.
Please have more respect with the player , with the people that spend money and time
to be sure that this project can be a reality and a success.
Donā€™t really who is the project manager but i invite him (if itā€™s already the case maybe to have a training)
to use tool like project from Microsoft to have better organisation and be able to
know in advance when he is on the red line.
Iā€™m also working on project for automotive industry and trust me if i say to my client like
Nissan, ford , Porsche etcā€¦ than we cannot start few days before i will lose them.
for similar situation we evaluate the risk and we keep client informed and we provide
clear status of the situation.
Please have a little bit of respect for gamers in the future.

On my side i will ask back my money , i donā€™t trust you anymore
i will wait a real availibility of the game before to buy it.

This is for the best, the beta has been dead and itā€™s been hard to even get games to play in multiplayer at least now the game can be tested with a larger player pool. good decision.

I am very upset, but I cannot really blame them, they are doing this for the greater good. But I still havenā€™t received a beta invitation. I have registered months ago and have completed the survey they sent me and nothing still. Am I missing something?

I paid for the game - and I think anyone who have paid DESERVES a slot in the BETA!!!

Troppo ritardoā€¦

VabbƃĀØ signori, non ƃĀØ che si puƃĀ² annunciare una data certa e, ad una settimana di tempo dallā€™uscita, rimandare la stessa di un annoā€¦ Almeno date lā€™accesso alla closed beta a chi come me ha giƃ pagatoā€¦

==google translate==
Too delayā€¦

Ok gentlemen, it is not that you can announce a certain date and, at a weekā€™s time from the exit, postpone the same one year ā€¦ At least give access to the closed beta to those who like me have already paid ā€¦

I tried signing up for the beta few months ago and I did not get any access to itā€¦they never sent me anything

it seems like you guys want more beta testersā€¦how do I get in??

Iā€™d like to echo what some of the other members have said. This week, I pre-ordered the game. My credit card was charged, and then with less than a week to go, you notify paying customers that there is a delay. There were indicators that things might not happen on time. No open beta for load testing multi-player games and servers, for example. But still, the communication from the team was not sufficient to set proper expectations with consumers.

Iā€™m a PMP certified project manager. I find it extremely unlikely that the team didnā€™t know that they were behind by MONTHS until this week. I want the game to have excellent quality and like most adults, if you give me the choice I will delay my gratification for a better experience. Delays happen. The problem isnā€™t in having to delay a project, itā€™s in not communicating the delay as soon as possible. Bad news doesnā€™t age well. I would agree that anyone that requested closed beta access and has already paid for the pre-order prior to the announcement should be given access to the closed beta right away. Theyā€™ve said ā€œIā€™m a customer who trusts you to get this done, so hereā€™s my money in advance.ā€ Show them the faith and loyalty theyā€™ve shown you.

Also, please note that people are disappointed. That can only come from having a positive expectation for the work youā€™re doing. Weā€™re all very excited to get more AoE fun in our future. The complaints arenā€™t meant to discourage anyone. People are just let down by a delay in the return of a game they love. This was an issue of mismanaged expectations.

Thanks,
-Ogi

These days MANY games are released so bugged and messy, that I rather want a postponed release date than another game thatā€™s unfinished at release. Might have been said a bit earlier, but nevermind, sometimes things donā€™t run as expected. Take the time you need. The 20$ charged donā€™t hurt me either. ā€¦and if: Just get a refund and buy once itā€™s released.
Iā€™m sure the 12-31-2018 is just a sort of random date in future thatā€™s definitely beyond the real release date to make sure it doesnā€™t have to be delayed again. Keep calm and play all the available Age games or maybe the betaā€¦ :wink:

Seriously :frowning: i pre-ordered this game with such high expectations, and iā€™m sad that i have to wait that long for a release. Iā€™m glad that youā€™re taking the time to make this right, but come on. I signed up for the beta the day it was announced and havenā€™t got a single invite. I really want to play this gameā€¦

@AlbertusMagnus7 said:
These days MANY games are released so bugged and messy, that I rather want a postponed release date than another game thatā€™s unfinished at release. Might have been said a bit earlier, but nevermind, sometimes things donā€™t run as expected. Take the time you need. The 20$ charged donā€™t hurt me either. ā€¦and if: Just get a refund and buy once itā€™s released.
Iā€™m sure the 12-31-2018 is just a sort of random date in future thatā€™s definitely beyond the real release date to make sure it doesnā€™t have to be delayed again. Keep calm and play all the available Age games or maybe the betaā€¦ :wink:

If they re-open Aoe online i can wait 2020 no problem but itā€™s closed ;/

At the age of 65 will I even be around when the game eventually gets released, i hope it does get released before December 2018, as i could have used the money i spent pre ordering it for an Xmas gift in 2017.

@Ogiwan2007 said:
Iā€™d like to echo what some of the other members have said. This week, I pre-ordered the game. My credit card was charged, and then with less than a week to go, you notify paying customers that there is a delay. There were indicators that things might not happen on time. No open beta for load testing multi-player games and servers, for example. But still, the communication from the team was not sufficient to set proper expectations with consumers.

Iā€™m a PMP certified project manager. I find it extremely unlikely that the team didnā€™t know that they were behind by MONTHS until this week. I want the game to have excellent quality and like most adults, if you give me the choice I will delay my gratification for a better experience. Delays happen. The problem isnā€™t in having to delay a project, itā€™s in not communicating the delay as soon as possible. Bad news doesnā€™t age well. I would agree that anyone that requested closed beta access and has already paid for the pre-order prior to the announcement should be given access to the closed beta right away. Theyā€™ve said ā€œIā€™m a customer who trusts you to get this done, so hereā€™s my money in advance.ā€ Show them the faith and loyalty theyā€™ve shown you.

Also, please note that people are disappointed. That can only come from having a positive expectation for the work youā€™re doing. Weā€™re all very excited to get more AoE fun in our future. The complaints arenā€™t meant to discourage anyone. People are just let down by a delay in the return of a game they love. This was an issue of mismanaged expectations.

Thanks,
-Ogi

Not only do I agree with this statement, but I think itā€™s worth emphasizing that bad expectations on top of bad news is not good marketing. This game has already effectively dissected the community by only being a windows 10 exclusive. The fact that this happened with less than a week before release only hinders the positive expectations that people may have had for this project.

I would also like to ask, where is the marketing at? Strangely enough, this project is super quiet. Hardly any advertisement, not very many updates, and a very limited display of content thatā€™s available due to lack of beta testing and display.

Ultimatelyā€¦

Only a Windows 10 Exclusive + Lack of communication + Quiet Project + Delay = Very bad business action.

What are they thinking?

Con estas noticias acaban de matar todas mis ilusiones de jugar este titulo tan esperado por mi persona, si bien los fundamentos de lograr una experiencia parecida a su primera entrega es significativo, no obstante el hecho que la pre-venta se anunciara con el juego ya terminado y que luego estƃĀ©n aplazando tanto su lanzamiento me enoja y me hace sentir pasado a llevar como fiel consumidor de esta saga. No pedirƃĀ© un reembolso de mi dinero esperando que en el futuro (PRƃā€œXIMO) a los que compraron el juego en pre-venta se les haga entrar en la Close-Beta y probar este maravilloso titulo.

Saludos.

Translation

With this news have just killed all my illusions of playing this title so awaited by me, although the basics of achieving an experience similar to its first delivery is significant, notwithstanding the fact that the pre-sale will be announced with the game already finished and that they are postponing so much its launchings it makes me angry and it makes me feel to take away like faithful consumer of this saga. I will not ask for a refund of my money hoping that in the future (NEXT) those who bought the game in pre-sale will be made to enter the Close-Beta and try this wonderful title.

Greetings.

@Elantipien said:

@AlbertusMagnus7 said:

If they re-open Aoe online i can wait 2020 no problem but itā€™s closed ;/

Try with Project celeste.