Age of Empires: Definitive Edition, Art Update!

Read the full story here

It’s good to know that this game is not only back, but remastered and made better (graphics wise, gameplay wise, I don’t know ^^). The new building design really well done. Not to say that the old one is bad, but not to say that the new one is bad as well. They’re both good but the new one is better since well, we have new technologies and all. I really love the Babylonian building, it’s really detailed and all. From a plain old white building with some trees and some blue and golden parts, to a detailed browner building, more realistic I must say. The Roman town center, I just like the new trees. Can’t see much difference there. And same goes to the Asian one, except for the fact that the colouring is better. So, looking forward to see how this goes on. Good luck to the developers of this game ^^

Hi!
First , I am very thankful to you for bringing a great game , it has been with me for over 15 years.
I have been playing through the hundreds of games, including the 2nd and 3rd, but the AOE 1 is still my favorite game for the longest.
In my country, there are still thousands of people playing this game.
There are still dozens of tournaments in the country and the Vietnam-China tournament.
When I known the news of aoe1 being remake, I was extremely happy.
But I wonder is whether it will retain the essence of the old version.
For example game play, types of empires, way to deer hunting, elephant, field repairs …
It is extremely important for a game to continue to live and grow.
Last, If possible, please do an empire representing my country Vietnam. Although I know the ege of the game does not match that.
Thank you and wish you good health and luck.
Sorry for my bad English.

So cool

Its look like a Age of Empires :smiley:

These are good news and I’m happy for this remaster but I would have preferred an AoE4

Really love the art style! It somehow preserves the original feel while being modern and beautiful – better in every way! I can’t imagine how hard that was but great stuff! Btw the so called “Babylonian Building” is the “Babylonian Government Center”

I prefer the roof of the original Greek village center–the new art doesn’t preserve the sense of whiteness in the buildings that is so characteristically Greek, and the new tiles don’t look convincing. I think the Babylonian building could use fewer trees (it’s not the Hanging Gardens, after all). But I do like the Asian barracks, which shows decent fidelity.

This looks so gorgeous. <3.<3 The depth of detail makes this realm come alive. I just cant wait to see and feel it all~
I’ve prayed for such a remake and hope was built when AOE 2 HD came out.

@mythdracon said:
I prefer the roof of the original Greek village center–the new art doesn’t preserve the sense of whiteness in the buildings that is so characteristically Greek, and the new tiles don’t look convincing. I think the Babylonian building could use fewer trees (it’s not the Hanging Gardens, after all). But I do like the Asian barracks, which shows decent fidelity.

That’s actually the Roman TC, not the Greek one. Many Roman buildings had red roofs like that, so I personally like the new design.

@qweytr24 i think its great that they make the remake Reality related to the history.

This tickles my eyes. :slight_smile:

Like The attention to detail should look great in 4k. signed up for the beta waiting for the email to get the game. Hope this game will be on the Xbox One.

Less fauna on Babylonian government center. The density of the fauna lacks subtle artistry from original version. If you want to darken and put ‘true’ color in, which seems to be design philosophy by making all buildings darker to hide cartoonish quality of the old graphics, I would suggest pulling back on foliage. You can barely see the building and it just looks cluttered.

Excelente trabajo para el equipo de arte. El detalle de los techos sobre todo el centro urbano romano es muy impresionante. Felicitaciones

Are most of these assets re-made, or are they based on the original 3-D models?

Excellent work. I would like to ask if it is possible to increase the population by more than 50 people?

@sonictimm said:
Are most of these assets re-made, or are they based on the original 3-D models?
https://youtu.be/nXykTxDIBcA

Re-made but very close to the originals :slight_smile:

@APPARITIONOFWAR said:
Less fauna on Babylonian government center. The density of the fauna lacks subtle artistry from original version. If you want to darken and put ‘true’ color in, which seems to be design philosophy by making all buildings darker to hide cartoonish quality of the old graphics, I would suggest pulling back on foliage. You can barely see the building and it just looks cluttered.

Do you mean less flora? I actually think it looks great with the extra greenery, much more true to the descriptions of ancient Babylonia.

Looks good!