Age of Empires: Definitive Edition, Audio Update! - Age of Empires

Age of Empires: Definitive Edition, Audio Update! - Age of Empires

Hello again Age Fans! Youā€™ve had a chance to take a closer look at some of our new art, but what about all of those new sounds?! With completely new narration, 75 minutes worth of new fully orchestrated music cues, 350 character emotes, and 250 rebuilt sound effects there is just so much to listen ā€¦ Continued

Read the full story here

Oh myā€¦ the new soundtrack is awesome! love it!

Wow, sounds have changed since yesterday, you heard us, thatā€™s a lot better!

Maybe im not the only one that thinks the new ā€˜wolol0ā€™ is ok, but the soundtrack mmmm its too different from original, where is the nostalgia? if you want to make all new, try to do more similar to the original :frowning:

Sounds good!

The background soundtrack is too different from the original, the texture sounds so different and there is constantly something going on in the back there which was a bit annoying.

Just my opinion, I cant produce music for ā– ā– ā– ā–  haha.

Hey folks, my name is Todd Masten and I am the Audio Director here at Microsoft overseeing this project. We had a bit of an ā€˜oopsiesā€™ earlier with a posting snafu. We had inadvertently posted two music tracks that were actually different cues which was confusing many people and obviously done accidentally. We corrected this and also chose to compare remastered Wololo, versus a re-recorded Wololo. I also thought I would give a brief brain dump on our process for this project.

We have chosen to remain as faithful to the original as possible; while also bringing the game into the 21st century. This is a difficult task, as many will attest to nostalgic attachments to the game and the franchise all up. For music, we modernized every cue, but we kept the spirit of every theme and every movement intact. We orchestrated the compositions so they could be played with an orchestra where necessary, but we did not throw extra notes on the page to fill up space. We also paid special attention while recording specific ethnic instruments that would enhance the organic feel that people love about the original score. I have personally spent months carefully orchestrating cues and working with a team to see these recorded, mixed, and mastered. You will not be disappointed.

For VO we did record every emote with multiple VO actors, for each ā€˜roleā€™. We acknowledge that this is a departure from the original. We also remastered ALL of the original content as well. This gives us multiple options to choose from. For iconic files, we will use the remastered content, as we have noted that people have strong attachements to these.

All of the original music and sound files were preserved, and if you choose, you can experience the original game with the original sounds and things will be exactly as you remember. You can also experience the updated audio that accompanies the updated visuals. We will also explore ways to possibly allow people to load the older files with the newer art and game play.

We just recently made the announcement, but know that we have been planning and working on this for a long time. I am excited to see people play the game and hopefully enjoy the heart and soul being poured into it by all of the people here on the development team.

@toddmasten I am soooooooo glad it was a post issue with the wrong files. Thank you very much for letting us know these xciting news.

After listening to the correct audios i can now feel rested that you guys wonā€™t mess our nostalgic attachments (I know itā€™s hard to satisfy us all) you are doing an awesome job. I just canā€™t wait no more to try it out

Will the CD soundtrack also be remastered?
Please say yes. I prefer the CD OST over the MIDI version, but it would be amazing if both are remastered.

10/10 on the new track, make sure you have the ā€œcaveā€ song re-recorded from the original for the new soundtrack

Ok this new reinterpretation of that Rise of Rome BGM is a nice one.

Now we are talking 10/10
Nice trolling haha

Ok itā€™s better jajajaj that was a good opportunity to hear a song that you guys donā€™t what is to hear all ready
Sounds really good
Iā€™m realy excited about all this

The Wololo sounds now better than the Version you posted tonight! :smiley: Although I think that it doesnā€™t need that much reverb

The re-arrangement of Medieval Melody sounds awesome

Yes. This ā€˜Whololoā€™ is great. Music is still (and again!) awesome!
Now I must say: I am converted to your version.

Very , very nice :slight_smile:

The music, sounds and narration are great!!

I suggest that there is available an option to disable the old wololo even for that 20%!

If you agree hit the ā€œAgreeā€ button!

@toddmasten said:
Hey folks, my name is Todd Masten and I am the Audio Director here at Microsoft overseeing this project. We had a bit of an ā€˜oopsiesā€™ earlier with a posting snafu. We had inadvertently posted two music tracks that were actually different cues which was confusing many people and obviously done accidentally. We corrected this and also chose to compare remastered Wololo, versus a re-recorded Wololo. I also thought I would give a brief brain dump on our process for this project.

We have chosen to remain as faithful to the original as possible; while also bringing the game into the 21st century. This is a difficult task, as many will attest to nostalgic attachments to the game and the franchise all up. For music, we modernized every cue, but we kept the spirit of every theme and every movement intact. We orchestrated the compositions so they could be played with an orchestra where necessary, but we did not throw extra notes on the page to fill up space. We also paid special attention while recording specific ethnic instruments that would enhance the organic feel that people love about the original score. I have personally spent months carefully orchestrating cues and working with a team to see these recorded, mixed, and mastered. You will not be disappointed.

For VO we did record every emote with multiple VO actors, for each ā€˜roleā€™. We acknowledge that this is a departure from the original. We also remastered ALL of the original content as well. This gives us multiple options to choose from. For iconic files, we will use the remastered content, as we have noted that people have strong attachements to these.

All of the original music and sound files were preserved, and if you choose, you can experience the original game with the original sounds and things will be exactly as you remember. You can also experience the updated audio that accompanies the updated visuals. We will also explore ways to possibly allow people to load the older files with the newer art and game play.

We just recently made the announcement, but know that we have been planning and working on this for a long time. I am excited to see people play the game and hopefully enjoy the heart and soul being poured into it by all of the people here on the development team.

If anthing lacks from all these remasters its heart and soul (and quality).

I absolutely love the music! I donā€™t understand all the complaints hereā€¦

Wow, VERY quick response with the wololo! Sorry to whoever did 100+ takes to get it right, but thatā€™s the power of nostalgia - sometimes you just canā€™t live up to perfection. The music, once again, is absolutely amazing! Really hitting that nostalgia :slight_smile: Well done Mr. Master and the other devs. Iā€™m really glad about Classic Mode being present, with original sounds, too.