Age of Empires: Definitive Edition, Audio Update! - Age of Empires

That ‘newer’ Wololo. That ‘newer’ Music. They are better than the ‘new’ beacuse the catch the eessence! Now we are taking seriously!

Aww yes, that’s what I call great news!

I was pretty much convinced that I’d be rather playing with original audio - but after hearing these, I’m sure that you’re on the right path and perfectly get how to keep balance between freshness and nostalgia.

Re-orchestrated track is just wonderful, to the point I’d be getting the game just to hear the rest of these recordings. ‘Remastered’ wololo is also much, much better than this previous, ‘new’ one.

Thanks for reaching to us @toddmasten , and making a few things clear as well as giving us some insight into your work. Much appreciated!

The new Tracks are awesome!

Now this is awesome :smiley: Love the new music - I’m glad it’s close to the original - great job! :slight_smile:

Really looking forward to playing this again after so many years. Wololo has always been an iconic sound from AOE.

Much better wololo!

@toddmasten said:
Hey folks, my name is Todd Masten and I am the Audio Director here at Microsoft overseeing this project. We had a bit of an ‘oopsies’ earlier with a posting snafu. We had inadvertently posted two music tracks that were actually different cues which was confusing many people and obviously done accidentally. We corrected this and also chose to compare remastered Wololo, versus a re-recorded Wololo. I also thought I would give a brief brain dump on our process for this project.

We have chosen to remain as faithful to the original as possible; while also bringing the game into the 21st century. This is a difficult task, as many will attest to nostalgic attachments to the game and the franchise all up. For music, we modernized every cue, but we kept the spirit of every theme and every movement intact. We orchestrated the compositions so they could be played with an orchestra where necessary, but we did not throw extra notes on the page to fill up space. We also paid special attention while recording specific ethnic instruments that would enhance the organic feel that people love about the original score. I have personally spent months carefully orchestrating cues and working with a team to see these recorded, mixed, and mastered. You will not be disappointed.

For VO we did record every emote with multiple VO actors, for each ‘role’. We acknowledge that this is a departure from the original. We also remastered ALL of the original content as well. This gives us multiple options to choose from. For iconic files, we will use the remastered content, as we have noted that people have strong attachements to these.

All of the original music and sound files were preserved, and if you choose, you can experience the original game with the original sounds and things will be exactly as you remember. You can also experience the updated audio that accompanies the updated visuals. We will also explore ways to possibly allow people to load the older files with the newer art and game play.

We just recently made the announcement, but know that we have been planning and working on this for a long time. I am excited to see people play the game and hopefully enjoy the heart and soul being poured into it by all of the people here on the development team.

Hello @toddmasten ,

Can you and you`re team give us all new music titels?
Than you have a feedback for all. The first new music that was posted at the Forum was great and i love it.
It bring a nostalgic too and its hear it as a AoE song.

Thx for you`re work

I think there is too much reverb now. The new wololo sounds like the old one with reverb that makes it sound like it was recorded inside a small room. The original sounds more natural, so wouldn’t it be fine to leave it and have the low bitrate represent voice texture (voice quality) rather than adding synthetic reverb?

In my opinion, you’ve done a good job. this new track-list sounds more modern and keeps the old spirit of AoE background music.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much reverb on the music. Having a hard time focusing on a particular instrument as the reverb blends them together so much.

The new music is too different to sound nostalgic. Doesn’t mean it’s necessarily worse than the old one, but if your goal is to keep the sound of the original tracks, I think they should be more similar.

lol

WOOOOW the new music is AWESOME!!!

keep up the wonderful work you guys have done so far!, love it! It could maybe be a little more like the original version, but I’m still able to recognize some parts of the songs (and the rhythm of course)

The new background music as great and grand as it sounds may be to complex for competitive play. During a match with all gameplay sounds, focus, decision making players are already under enough tension. When you add more complex music into the mix player will get tired out pretty fast.

All music as much as it brings greatness to the game will also add equal amount of additional pressure for players to endure (without them knowing). It will still sound as good as before but also impacts focus and decision making. Don’t go overboard when making masterpieces and keep players in mind.

The new track is like a combination of many civilizations. Love it!
But I want it to sound like to original track a bit more.

This issue I have with the final track is one of it not sounding like the other one as much as I would like. It gets a bit over-obscured. I urge you to look at the difference between the aok theme vs the age of forgotten theme. What you find is that it is different but still very close. Now I’m not saying it has to be that close, but not too different. Is there going to be any ability to use the old music ala old vs new rules?

I like it, however, as many have pointed out you should be careful with having too much reverb. The violins should for instance be more ‘snappy’! :wink:

I think since it is more a remake rather than a remaster, the music could be as different as you want but most of the players who are buying this game is because we are nostalgic gamers who want to remember old playing times, so I agree with all of those posts here, it would be great if you make the new music sounds more like the old one.

I love these already.
It would be nice to hear the old musics as well but i love this new version.
Maybe the best option is having them both.