Age of Empires: Definitive Edition, Audio Update! - Age of Empires

I really appreciate all the great work you guys have put in to the new soundtrack. Itā€™s full, sweeping, rich, but still has that same feel of early history without being a simple copy of the original. The musicā€™s really important to me, I even used to listen to the soundtrack of AoE when I had anthropology and history classes, because it really set that mood for the beginning of civilization.
While Iā€™m excited for the new soundtrack, sometimes I do miss the old one for the nostalgic value. You mentioned that the old Wololo sound effect will be available in the classic mode, does that apply for the old soundtrack, too? Or is the new soundtrack applied in the old and new modes?

New music is really good. Made up with using all the latest sound technologies.

Algo dignoā€¦ vamos ver o restoā€¦ Age of Empires deve ser tratado com respeito, afinal, ā€œ20 anos os observamā€

@RogueKoala67375 said:

@GepardenKalle said:
The new track is great, but as others have expressed I feel there is a bit too much going on with it. It lacks the simple drive and beat of the original. We must remember that this is supposed to be a game soundtrack - there will be lotā€™s of other things going on like sword clashes and whololols, all added togheter it can become a bit off a mess unless the music is simple and catchy

Itā€™s not that thereā€™s to much going on with it, I think itā€™s that (like most covers and remixes) the artists get bored and maybe a feel obligated to change more so they mess with the timing to trip us up and keep our attention but like you say, thatā€™s not appropriate for gaming. There is lots of structured rhythm theory that can keep a song fresh without outright skipping notes and disregarding timing dynamics.
They did a great job with the new instruments in recapturing that dreamy wanderlusting Aegean mariner vibe, It totally feels like weā€™re hugging the coast on the Med with a hull full of spices. Last stop Alexandria!

I loved your last sentence. When I first watched the trailer my breath caught and I got butterflies in the tummy, the music was a big part of that.

I personally really dont like the new music, its not bad but it is not a improvement, like others have said sound is timeless unlike graphics, the old music and sound effects fit aoe so well, out of all aoe games the first one always had the best sound effects IMO, having the old sound effects/music with the new graphics wouldnt make the game worse it will fit to the new game really well.

No new players will dislike the old sounds I am sure of that and for older players hearing the same music from aoe1 is huge on nostalgia, sound effects trigger that a lot more than graphics do. Out of all the things that could be changed for the DE version this was something that should have been kept to the origional.

I always found music in games to be very important. I donā€™t know how many game music I have on my PC but itā€™s a lot. Going from everything I could find about every AOE including official OST CDā€™s to music from my Sega Mega Drive II and Nintendo 64. The only thing is that you can not let it play in house or the car when someone else is around if they havenā€™t played the game because they would not understand.

IDK, mabye its that nostalgia thingy, but i think i preffer the old one music. But the new one sounds great as well. ā– ā– ā– ā–  i canā€™t wait for this game to be released!

i mean, the old one is everyoneā€™s favorite, but i think that the new one its perfect also for the new game, kind of makes you inspired and helps you a bit to explore the zone, inspiration to build an empire thats what i fell when i first heared

@Otani64 said:
I always found music in games to be very important. I donā€™t know how many game music I have on my PC but itā€™s a lot. Going from everything I could find about every AOE including official OST CDā€™s to music from my Sega Mega Drive II and Nintendo 64. The only thing is that you can not let it play in house or the car when someone else is around if they havenā€™t played the game because they would not understand.

Normiesā€¦ They never understand. Even with people who have played it, I am uncomfortable listening to it unless Iā€™m alone cause itā€™s just such a personal experience. Just shooting from the hip, maybe it makes me feel vulnerable because it speaks to me in a way that language canā€™t? I hate to say it but that would mean I find it embarrassing how much I love it. I donā€™t think I yet fully appreciate how therapeutic it was to see your words written. It kinda solidifies the concept into something tangible for me. Thanks for that.

I loved your last sentence. When I first watched the trailer my breath caught and I got butterflies in the tummy, the music was a big part of that.

:blush: :wink: I know the feeling. Itā€™s not often music does that but this stuff, I tell ya. it harkens back to a time when women glowed and men plundered.

I have been delighted with the review of the music, I hope the other songs are equal or better !!! B)

@RogueKoala67375 said:

@Otani64 said:

Normiesā€¦ They never understand. Even with people who have played it, I am uncomfortable listening to it unless Iā€™m alone cause itā€™s just such a personal experience. Just shooting from the hip, maybe it makes me feel vulnerable because it speaks to me in a way that language canā€™t? I hate to say it but that would mean I find it embarrassing how much I love it. I donā€™t think I yet fully appreciate how therapeutic it was to see your words written. It kinda solidifies the concept into something tangible for me. Thanks for that.

Hehe youā€™re welcome :smile: Itā€™s actually a very gradual process. The whole time you play a game for hours and like it a lot the music plays on the background. Not loud or clearly present but itā€™s there all the time. Hearing it again, even not ingame gives back that feeling of fun and comfort. Thatā€™s why I like game music also as background sounds. Itā€™s very comforting and never disturbs. But of course not when you are among Normies :smiley:

Actually I do have an exception. A few times already I played the entire list of Gran Turismo 5 in random order when there were people over for diner and no one made any remark. Not negative or positive. Also SimCity music (in correct order) did not trigger any reaction yet.

Concerning the new music it is normal for people to not like it as much as the original for the reason stated above. We are so used to the original music while loving the game and now we hear new music without playing the DE. Iā€™m sure if people start playing and the music plays in the background they will start to appreciate it more. Also the new wololo gives more dept, which modernises it

Hehe youā€™re welcome :smile: Itā€™s actually a very gradual process. The whole time you play a game for hours and like it a lot the music plays on the background. Not loud or clearly present but itā€™s there all the time. Hearing it again, even not ingame gives back that feeling of fun and comfort. Thatā€™s why I like game music also as background sounds. Itā€™s very comforting and never disturbs. But of course not when you are among Normies :smiley:

Actually I do have an exception. A few times already I played the entire list of Gran Turismo 5 in random order when there were people over for diner and no one made any remark. Not negative or positive. Also SimCity music (in correct order) did not trigger any reaction yet.

Concerning the new music it is normal for people to not like it as much as the original for the reason stated above. We are so used to the original music while loving the game and now we hear new music without playing the DE. Iā€™m sure if people start playing and the music plays in the background they will start to appreciate it more. Also the new wololo gives more dept, which modernises it

I dunno, Iā€™m pretty sure I was dumbstruck the first go around on AOK and then RoR but some games despite the quality of the music, can get tiresome like in Elderscrolls-some tracks are timeless gems but others are little more than filler.

For sure there are exceptions. Iā€™ve got some Tropico on my regular playlist that Iā€™m not to shy to share and Iā€™ve got an acid jazz track from Sim City as well that works great when youā€™re out on the town and you want to have conversation and focus on the road but not seem like your hyper focused on safe driving lol.

Great

New one is so cooool!! But I hope include some old tracks. Because our experience is melted in ā€˜oldā€™ tracksā€¦
Old tracks make me gathering food on Berry Bush!!! lol!!!

@DRNKNNidhoeggr said:
Iā€™m a songwrighter of a band and the music of Age of Empires 1 and 2 always inspires me to compose new songs. Does anyone know who wrote the songs? A big THANK YOU to this guy! The new remastered soundtrack is awesome! (yes, I miss some parts, particularly the ā€œpizzicato stringā€ one of the old song that was replaced by an other instrument and melody) but hey, this is a NEW version so itā€™s obviuos that there are some changes. I like it very much and in my opinion, the nostalgic feeling about it is still there.
I would also love a new version of the AoE II soundtrack for the HD Edition. Keep up the good work! Letā€™s make Age of Empires great again xD

Check out Vitalis Eirich. He has remastered 3 AoE II soundtracks so far and they are just awesome! There is also a mod on Steam that replaces old soundtracks with the remastered ones.

@DRNKNNidhoeggr said:
Iā€™m a songwrighter of a band and the music of Age of Empires 1 and 2 always inspires me to compose new songs. Does anyone know who wrote the songs?

Original soundtrack was composed by David & Stephen Rippy. IDK who does the remasters though.

Sounds great, but I hope we have the option to have the original music too.

@mlascosmo @FoTacTix

@toddmasten said:
Hey folks, my name is Todd Masten and I am the Audio Director here at Microsoft overseeing this project. We had a bit of an ā€˜oopsiesā€™ earlier with a posting snafu. We had inadvertently posted two music tracks that were actually different cues which was confusing many people and obviously done accidentally. We corrected this and also chose to compare remastered Wololo, versus a re-recorded Wololo. I also thought I would give a brief brain dump on our process for this project.

We have chosen to remain as faithful to the original as possible; while also bringing the game into the 21st century. This is a difficult task, as many will attest to nostalgic attachments to the game and the franchise all up. For music, we modernized every cue, but we kept the spirit of every theme and every movement intact. We orchestrated the compositions so they could be played with an orchestra where necessary, but we did not throw extra notes on the page to fill up space. We also paid special attention while recording specific ethnic instruments that would enhance the organic feel that people love about the original score. I have personally spent months carefully orchestrating cues and working with a team to see these recorded, mixed, and mastered. You will not be disappointed.

For VO we did record every emote with multiple VO actors, for each ā€˜roleā€™. We acknowledge that this is a departure from the original. We also remastered ALL of the original content as well. This gives us multiple options to choose from. For iconic files, we will use the remastered content, as we have noted that people have strong attachements to these.

All of the original music and sound files were preserved, and if you choose, you can experience the original game with the original sounds and things will be exactly as you remember. You can also experience the updated audio that accompanies the updated visuals. We will also explore ways to possibly allow people to load the older files with the newer art and game play.

We just recently made the announcement, but know that we have been planning and working on this for a long time. I am excited to see people play the game and hopefully enjoy the heart and soul being poured into it by all of the people here on the development team.

It would be nice that definitive edition allow to play the midi, cd and new bso too. From age of empires first release, rise of rome expansion and definitive edition. All the sound in randoms playlists that go from one to another like midi, cd, definitive edition or an specific bso.

I donā€™t like to hear only the new bso when Iā€™m playing and Iā€™m not going to play to the old version, graphics, ui, pathfinding to listen the old bso.