Age of Empires: Definitive edition - Workshop

They say it will only be in the Windows Store, so at the moment it will not have Workshop, hopefully they will take it out for Steam.

Maybe they make a workshop for AoD:DE in the win store, but I see that it would be difficult to happend.

Without workshop or any kind of ability to link to AOE heaven games forum for making/downloading custom made single player and multiplayer scenarios it would greatly tarnish the appeal for infinite replaying of the game. Once you finish all the Retail campaigns, you can get bored with multiplayer. As the AOE2 multiplayer game is already awesome. Please Microsoft try to add some community support for custom scenarios.

Yes, modding support would be nice.

I have a burning question. So when they announced the new AoE:DE they said that we will be able to play with the new improved graphics as well as with the old classic style. I am very curios what does this mean to modding !

Let me explain that better:

Say you want to create a new complex asset for a custom scenario … maybe a “cow” unit for some sort of immersive farm design. You provide the details of the unit , from collision size , turn speed, hp, etc. and at one point you need to provide the asset. Do we have to provide 2 assets now , one the Definitive Edition HD style asset for those that use the DE graphics and on for the ones that use the legacy style graphics ? - basically creating 2 units ? Or will just some things work only on the new HD graphics while the other only on the legacy part ?

I was trying to dig around about this and i was not able to find anything and i was wondering if you guys were able to pick something up regarding this.

As an already existing modder, a workshop would be great :slight_smile: .

@BornPants34 said:
I have a burning question. So when they announced the new AoE:DE they said that we will be able to play with the new improved graphics as well as with the old classic style. I am very curios what does this mean to modding !

Say you want to create a new complex asset for a custom scenario … maybe a “cow” unit for some sort of immersive farm design. You provide the details of the unit , from collision size , turn speed, hp, etc. and at one point you need to provide the asset. Do we have to provide 2 assets now , one the Definitive Edition HD style asset for those that use the DE graphics and on for the ones that use the legacy style graphics ? - basically creating 2 units ? Or will just some things work only on the new HD graphics while the other only on the legacy part ?

I was trying to dig around about this and i was not able to find anything and i was wondering if you guys were able to pick something up regarding this.

I have discussed this before, I was told that the classic will most likely not be changed as it is the original unedited base game (before Upatch). If modding were to exist for classic mode I think it would be separate to standard mode.

@BornPants34 said:

I believe that if you make a model with new graphics it will only work in the DE version of the AOE (it is very probable that the original version of the game is immutable)

Tbh if you want to mod the original, just do it the normal way, or use UPatch and that mod manager.

Given that there even is a mod manager in UPatch, I don’t see why they can’t incorporate one in the DE. Of course, graphical mods would require more work for the DE than original due to resolution, frames and angles :wink:

But that does not really answer the question. I might have formulated it wrong so let me try again.

They said that you can play the game as the original one and as the DE one. Here is my first assumption: does that mean that, i can be playing with the legacy graphics and you(any one of you guys … and girls) can be playin with the new DE graphics and we would both be playing in the same game 1v1 PvP ?

If that is a valid scenario, and i do believe it is from what we know so far, what would happen if we play a custom scenario the 2 of us , where there are some custom units(let’s call those X) that only have DE assets as part of that scenario mod. Will my legacy game simply crash ? Or will i see DE assets on my screen along with unit X as it only has assets for DE and not legacy ?

Will some scenarios, if we have a workshop, be labeled DE only and legacy only ? - and maybe both if they work with both.

Is this too soon to ask ? - i think it is too soon to ask, but if they plan to support mods this is one of the biggest question modders should ask.

Edit: A ok , now i understand what you guys are saying. That does make sense to have DE and legacy separated when it comes to mod using. Although i still wish they would provide us with a bit more insight on the things that we will be able to do and not … guess we all have to wait until August when , i assume, they will give us a bit more info on what is going on :smile:

It depends if “Classic Mode” is just a graphics rollback or if it is an option that basically starts up a new .exe. I find it hard to believe that classic mode would have some of the new features, otherwise it wouldn’t be “classic” anymore :wink:

If they are compatible, maybe you have to make 2 sets of graphics. Although if mods are official, then it may look tacky to have a DE standard graphic showing up in the classic mode. Then again there’d probably be lots of “tacky” mods anyway eg. someone decides everyone looks like a priest, even mounted units have a priest on them etc.

Workshop is essential. Period.

@“Tha Somin” said:

They say it will only be in the Windows Store, so at the moment it will not have Workshop, hopefully they will take it out for Steam.

Just because its on the windows store doesn’t mean it won’t have a workshop. I’m sure the devs have it in mind. Halo 5:Forge, another game on the windows store, also has a type of ‘workshop’.