Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition - Bassarab & Bogdan (DLC Campaign Proposal)

As far as other suggestions are concerned:

“Most legendary among these rulers were Mircea cel Batran, Vlad Tepes, Iancu de Hunedoara, Stefan cel Mare and Mihai Viteazu.”

For Michael the Brave (Mihai Viteazu) and Stephen the Great (Stefan cel Mare) I already made suggestions:

Vlad the Impaler is already in the game.

Mircea the Elder (Mircea cel Batran) and Iancu de Hunedoara (John Hunyadi) are not.

The reason John Hunyadi is on this list despite fighting for the Kingdom of Hungary is because his father, Voicu (later Voyk), was a Romanian nobleman in Transylvania who converted to catholicism not to lose his rights when the Unio Trium Nationum (Latin for “Union of the Three Nations”) was established. The 3 nations being: Hungarians, Szekely, Saxons. Basically, everyone except Romanians. The nobility and merchants had to choose: either remain Romanian & have no rights, basically be demoted to peasant, or convert to catholicism and Hungarian culture. Basically, it was like Stalin being Georgian and leading USSR but without Stain being evil.

However, out of all these important medieval Romanian figures, I still think Bassarab & Bogdan are the best choice for a possible campaign, because it’s a story not many people know about.

They are not even that well known in Romania despite being the founders of Wallachia & Moldavia, and defeating a much stronger Hungarian kingdom to do so.

The Battle of Possada that Bassarab won and 3 Hungarian invasions between 1359-1365 that Bogdan won are no easy feats:

I just think they should be represented more, because in my mind, they are on par with Vlad the Impaler and Stephen the Great, despite not being as popular:

For extra read:

1 Like