Age of Empires IV - Post-Launch Developer Stream

Thanks for sharing that one. Re-watching it with his reactions helped seeing some details. Like I didn’t even notice how much Eric was hold back when watching it the first time. Sure he doesn’t seem to follow the script as they’d like, but let the man speak if he brings passion to the table and hints at actual problems and solutions.
Instead they cut him off and seem to regard every topic like some “treat”, “tease” and “sneak peak” of what great “features” are waiting for the players, while we are really talking about bug fixes and needed balance changes for a finished game, lol.

Yes they are acknowledging their existence. But as Winter says: What will be done about it? Why not push a hotfix and disable the related techs right now? I get that they don’t want to tell us how spaghetti all of that is, or that they didn’t test it properly and that there’s no time or staff for a code deep dive right now… just disable it (put the band-aid on, as he puts it) til you figure it out and communicate that. That should be possible for SOMEONE at that company.

Well you can build walls from atop of existing walls, basically wall-snaking your way into enemy territory. The wall bonus for units is pretty strong and they build fast. Targeting through them (and gates) is kind of a pain for some units (e.g. direct-fire siege) and there are ways to bug units that shouldn’t be up there onto the walls… it does not feel robust in the slightest. Just a matter of time til someone finds a way to exploit that. Hera and Viper for example hinted at such things in a few streams.
But yeah, this was a bit too vague from my side to throw into here.

4 Likes

Thanks for the post and the topic summarization! Really appreciated.

2 Likes

It was a confusing stream to watch for sure. I couldn’t figure out if they wanted to give us information or not. It seemed like rather not, except for Eric? But at the same time it seemed like they were kind of obliged to be mysterious about it but didn’t really know why. I was wondering it myself as well. If they already know exactly what they’re gonna do in upcoming patch, why not share it?

It’s typical policy to keep information on future changes to a low for most companies (especially since they are usually subject to change). Eric seemed very excited to talk about it and while the others were trying to hold him back it seems, it was the plan to leak some changes (They just didn’t want it to take over the whole stream since it sounded like there was some timeframe and scheduling to it).