Age of Empires IV

Age of Empires IV should be around Ancient time or Medieval times because Age of Empires is about the age of when empires were fighting against each other.

It doesn´t fit in with the name if we have modern warfare instead.

@Servimomia said:

@CleanChannel16 said:

@Servimomia said:

@CleanChannel16 said:
Did I get it right? The AoE 4 will be kind of like Rise of Nations, when you start with Stone Age and end with gunpowder?)

this is unknown at this step, we should wait. but I don’t think they will go in that way

Well, just trailer look like it will be from ancient to modern. But yeah, will see.

yep, this is one interpretation and it’s possible indeed. another possibility is trailer showing the evolution of previous AOE games, then 4th shall be XX century’s wars…
I’m anxious for new info about, but it seems we’ll be forced to long wait I’m afraid! :cry:

I’m more afraid that’s it will be like DoW III, which I waited for 6 years like many others…and then…well…we saying “never speak bad about the dead”)

Childhood memories

@Fyrapan said:
Age of Empires IV should be around Ancient time or Medieval times because Age of Empires is about the age of when empires were fighting against each other.

Are you kidding me? Austro-Hungarian Empire, Japanese Empire, Brazilian Empire, Mexican Empire, Germany 3rd Reich, USA, USSR, Even the Spanish, British, French and Ottoman Empires can fit in a 20 - 21 century game (WW1 - WW2 - Cold War and Present day) and don’t forget Asia! China, Korea, Israel, Vietnam, Iran, Saudi Arabia, India, Pakistan, Iraq.

@ZehnBarde9866 said:
Dear Relic Games,

if you restrict the base building of Age of Empires IV in any form for the sake of competition and e sports, to make the game more “dynamic” and more action you will screw this series like you did it with dawn of war… I can understand why you made Dawn of war 2. You wanted to focus on the fights etc… and the base bulding just did not fit in this philisophy… but as you saw, you took out the part of your games what your fans loft as much as the fights its self: The base building! Therefore you got the hate for Dawn of war 2.

Then you realized that your fans wanted the base building back, but you did not want to give up the base building, so you went for a compromise in Dawn of war 3… which in my opinion was even worse, because it still was not the same as the base building in dawn of war 1 (just by far less buildings and options in this case), but on the otherhand you restricted mechanics/ choices in the use of your units and the way they could fight in battle… So you were worse in base building then dawn of war 1 and worse in tactics/choices in terms of your units then in dawn of war 2…
What can you learn out of this? :

1. Either stick to the base building or leave it completely
  2. Don`t go for compromises
  3. Listen to your fans and don`t take out what is the essence of your game

In terms of Age of Empires 4:

1. The essence of Age of Empires is a wide base building with a lot of choices. Its about thinking precisely about how to construct your town and eco system and building a big defense out off walls and defensive towers around it to save it from the attacks of your opponent.
  2. Don`t make retrictions in the choice of buildings and units or the ammount of recources etc… for the goal to make the game more dynamic and more attraktive to e- sports!!! Age of Empires is about taking your time and making long term decicions about your eco sytem and the way you either improve/strengthen your base at one point, or expanding your “empire” over the entire map and building several bases the opponent needs to destroy etc… Age of empires was always a game which could be over in 15 min if you got rushed very badly and made some bad mistakes,

BUT MOST OF THE TIME it was a game which could least for 2- 5 hours and end up in long sieges with long batteles!!! AND THAT WAS FUCKIN AWESOME!!!

So dont, just dont even think about making restrictions on the varity of different buildings and units and the ammount of them available to each Nation!!! If you will do so you will loose the essence of Age of Empires and the Age of Empires feeling. Instead you will get in the best scenario a rip of of Star craft or dawn of war 1 as a result. So just leave the base building like it is!

What the fans want:

1. We want a wide varity of choice in Age of empires 4!!!
  2. We want a big wide base building and as many recources, units and nations as in Age of Empires 2 that`s what made the game so epic!
  3. We DONT want a star Craft Rip of! If i want dynamic and e sport and pressing 100 hot keys and batlleing all game with no big strategy behind it we play Star Craft 2. But Age of Empires is different to that and we want to keep this difference!
  4. Also we dont want another Dawn of war 2 or 3! Stay true to the essence of gameplay of AGE 1-3 and dont screw it by inventing a new way to play it!!! like you tried with dawn of war 2 after dawn of war 1
  5. Don`t listen to those pseudo nostalgigcs who tell you to do another Age of empires 2 by bringing Age of empires 4 to the medival Age… After all they just want a good old RTS game the way that i just described. They want to keep the AGE of Empires 2 feeling and thats fully ok!
    But in terms of the time, the game should take place at, the majority of the fans wants something new, like in the artbook of essemble… I can think of the time between 1850 and
  6. I know it´s just 100 years but I studied history and I can clearly tell, that in terms of technology and tactics and the way how countries went to war in those 100 years there have been almost as many changes/revolutions as in the 1000 years before. So be brave and do what Esemble promised us to do and bring AOE to WW1 and 2. Just stick to the base building and the varity of units and choices the way Age of Empires 2 had and you will make a great new game and even many of the old die hard Age 2 fans will love you for it!

After all don`t take my critisism for dawn of war 2 and 3 as hate. I respect your work at Relic. But for the love of God learn from your mistakes and take this chance to proof the world, that you are able to continue the most iconic and most beloved strategy series by creating a new game which holds up to the essence of base building in Age of Empires 1-3, feels like a true Age of empires Game, takes place in a new time period of human history (for example 1850-1950) and in conclusion of this truly deserves the title being called Age of Empires 4!!!

This is so true!!!

@Fyrapan said:
Age of Empires IV should be around Ancient or Medieval times because Age of Empires is about the age of when empires were fighting against each other.

I disagree, it does also fit for modern times, and who says that there wasn’t any Empires fighting eachother with modern warfare? During WWII lots of Empires still existed, Like the German, Austro-Hungarian, Ottoman and Russian Monarchies that held an important role at that time. I dont think it’s necessary to just limit the AOE Franchise to the Ancient and Medieval ages only, that would destroy the original purpose of the series that spans from the Beginning of Civilization until Contemporary, or even futuristic eras.

1. Don`t listen to those pseudo nostalgigcs who tell you to do another Age of empires 2 by bringing Age of empires 4 to the medival Age… After all they just want a good old RTS game the way that i just described. They want to keep the AGE of Empires 2 feeling and thats fully ok!
    But in terms of the time, the game should take place at, the majority of the fans wants something new, like in the artbook of essemble… I can think of the time between 1850 and
  2. I know it´s just 100 years but I studied history and I can clearly tell, that in terms of technology and tactics and the way how countries went to war in those 100 years there have been almost as many changes/revolutions as in the 1000 years before. So be brave and do what Esemble promised us to do and bring AOE to WW1 and 2. Just stick to the base building and the varity of units and choices the way Age of Empires 2 had and you will make a great new game and even many of the old die hard Age 2 fans will love you for it!

Majority of the fans wants a comeback to ancient or medieval history. It’s true, we want something new, but not another ww2 game…Please no…You properly said good things for a good rts: city building, epic battles, walls, sieges etc…All things which don’t work with modern period.

Personally i like the ww2, i’m big fan of Company of heroes and Relic.

However a WW2 AOE will simply be a clone of Company Heroes.

We haven’t good rts set in the ancient or medieval times.

@nonlosojimmy said:

1. Remakes — This point is based completely on business and marketing strategy. AOE 1 was released in Oct 1997. AOE 2 was released in Oct 1999 and AOE 3 was released in Oct 2005. Best guess since the announcement was made at Gamescom 2017, we’ll plan to see AOE 4 in Oct 2018. A lot of money is tied into announcements. You never want to make an announcement too early and you never want to make an announcement too late. In the meanwhile between now and Oct 2018 we should have release of a definitive edition of AOE 1 (Oct 2017), 2 , and 3. Now if in the very rare case AOE 4 covers an era such as the medieval or colonial era as an example why would I even buy the definitive edition of 2 or 3, when I could wait to play those eras in AOE 4 which would be a fresher game? There is no way that Microsoft will let any of their newly released AOE games compete against one another if they cover the same content. AOE 4 must take place in a separate era from 1, 2, and 3. The only era left to cover is the period of time from where AOE 3 ends to the present.

2. Studio Selection — It was not by chance that Relic was chosen to develop AOE 4. There are plenty of studios to pick from since this project is being outsourced. Relic is best known for their Company of Hero and Warhammer series. This studio has demonstrated they have the skill set and ability to develop successful RTS games that take place in the WW and modern day eras. This is a huge reason Microsoft selected this studio, as this is the era AOE 4 will most likely take place in.

1. You are talking about Remakes, but these versions are simply remasters. You’ll probably see Some improvements, better graphic but same campaigns and missions (maybe with a little differences). So i’ll surely buy an AOE 4 set in ancient or medieval times. It sould be a totally new game.

2. Relic is actually the best team about rts games. There’s the only reason.

@DaffodilBreak52 said:
RTS never dies! I’m happy to see AOE IV. And only one question: the period of IV will be WWI/Great War?

we don’t know

It does not make sense to go back with Age IV, if you want to play medieval, just play Age II, if you want a better graphic medieval game, just play Age II when it gets remastered, I don’t expect Age IV will be a clone of Age II, that will be disappointing, you all say Age IV will be a clone of DoW, but if it would be set in the medieval period I would feel disappointed to play a clone of Age II, even if it had other campaigns and units.

Also, there are plenty of empires in the 1800-1950 period, that’s a lot of history and empires to play with, and it will be nice to have soldiers from WWI and WWII, there are lots of epic battles in those wars, also it would be possible to have American Civil war campaign, WWs campaigns, Russian Empire campaigns, also there is the possibility of playing underwater with submarines, with the style of Age of Empires

I disagree

@nonlosojimmy said:

The fact is we have good rts set in the ancient and medieval times. They are named Age of Mythology and Age of Empires II respectively.

We don’t have a good rts set on WW2. Company of Heroes is nothing like AoE.
And majority of fans wants the game to continue the histrical progression after AoEIII

Legitimately there were very few empires by the end of the 19th Century, and even fewer by World War II. The Austro-Hungarian Empire ended after WWI. The Ottoman Empire ended in 1924.

At any rate, the game uses the term Empires pretty loosely, and reasonable minds can disagree exactly whether any eras are too modern for an Age of Empires title. I’m not even sure if all of the 12 civs in the original 1997 AoE were empires under the word’s definition. (And the title of the game speaks of Empires, but the actual games themselves describe them as civilizations.)

I have some pretty strong feelings that guns and tanks are stupid and boring and that this franchise is best in ancient and medieval times, but obviously the Developers are free to riff on the themes of the game as much as they see fit. Bruce Shelley certainly spoke about his curiosity about how a world war AoE would play, though he did raise some issues he had with the idea, too.

1. Don`t listen to those pseudo nostalgigcs who tell you to do another Age of empires 2 by bringing Age of empires 4 to the medival Age… After all they just want a good old RTS game the way that i just described. They want to keep the AGE of Empires 2 feeling and thats fully ok!
  2. I know it´s just 100 years but I studied history and I can clearly tell, that in terms of technology and tactics and the way how countries went to war in those 100 years there have been almost as many changes/revolutions as in the 1000 years before. So be brave and do what Esemble promised us to do and bring AOE to WW1 and 2. Just stick to the base building and the varity of units and choices the way Age of Empires 2 had and you will make a great new game and even many of the old die hard Age 2 fans will love you for it!

Majority of the fans wants a comeback to ancient or medieval times. You are speaking about sieges, cities building, epic battles, walls and big armies… All good points which will never work on a ww2 rts game.

I love WW2 period and i’m bi fan of COH and Relic Team.

However Ensemble doesn’t promised us to do and bring AOE to WW1 and 2.

It does not make sense to go back with Age IV, if you want to play medieval, just play Age II, if you want a better graphic medieval game, just play Age II when it gets remastered, I don’t expect Age IV will be a clone of Age II, that will be disappointing, you all say Age IV will be a clone of DoW, but if it would be set in the medieval period I would feel disappointed to play a clone of Age II, even if it had other campaigns and units.

Also, there are plenty of empires in the 1800-1950 period, that’s a lot of history and empires to play with, and it will be nice to have soldiers from WWI and WWII, there are lots of epic battles in those wars, also it would be possible to have American Civil war campaign, WWs campaigns, Russian Empire campaigns, also there is the possibility of playing underwater with submarines, with the style of Age of Empires

1. AOE 2 remaster will be a simply update of the first one. Nothing to new.

2. I hope AOE4 will not be a clone of DOW… Agree with you

3. If you wanna play a WW2, play Men of War, Blitzkrieg, Sudden Strikes or Company of Heroes.

This is the point. Why dou you want another WW2 rts?

1 Like

@WitchyBobcat029 said:
I disagree

@nonlosojimmy said:

The fact is we have good rts set in the ancient and medieval times. They are named Age of Mythology and Age of Empires II respectively.

AOM has a mithological theme. AOE2 is 18 years old. Another games?

We don’t have a good rts set on WW2. Company of Heroes is nothing like AoE.
And majority of fans wants the game to continue the histrical progression after AoEIII

We have too many WW2. That’s the problem. Company of heroes represents the only way to play a ww2 game.

Do you want a WW2 AOE? Look at this:

@nonlosojimmy that game also included medieval age! and it sucked!
AOE2 is 18 years old but is still the best RTS out there and is going to have a 3rd remake.
Making a AoE4 a 4th remake is silly unless you change the mechanics too much in which case it will be a total dissapoint.

Dude, that’s Empire Earth 1, you can’t even compare that game against AOE mechanics, it was more like Rise of Nations to be honest, without too much deep strategy through each age.

Hope it will be playable offline, I’ve put my money in AOE Online once and 2 years later the servers were shut down. Don’t want that to happen again.

Given the current RTS landscape, we NEEDED a new age of empires :slight_smile: being an old RTSer who lead clans and brought members to the WCG, this brings me awesome memories and can’t wait to get my hands on it!

@KingDarBoja said:
Dude, that’s Empire Earth 1, you can’t even compare that game against AOE mechanics, it was more like Rise of Nations to be honest, without too much deep strategy through each age.

Is not empire earth 1. It is “Empires: Dawn of the Modern World” Empires Earth 1 was even better than that game.

I agree, you can’t even compare that game against AOE mechanics.

@WitchyBobcat029 said:

@KingDarBoja said:

Is not empire earth 1. It is “Empires: Dawn of the Modern World” Empires Earth 1 was even better than that game.

I agree, you can’t even compare that game against AOE mechanics.

You can compare age of empires to empires dawn of the modern world. Mechanics are the same. Infact this is a game by Rick Goodman, an Ensemble studios founder.

Guys there is a solid reason all World War real time strategies (Company of Heroes, Sudden Strike, Men of War) are actually real time tactics (RTT, not RTS). You just cant have a WW setting in an RTS because it doesnt make sense to harvest resouces under your nose on the battlefield or train units from buildings, there’s a reason these games are RTT, rely heavily on tactics and positioning, units come from headquarters etc.
It needs to be within a context, unless you want to turn into a silly gameplay like Empire Earth or Rise of Nations, or a tottaly different genre like Civilization. How are you even going to micro planes? Are you going to click them around and they would just sit there in mid air while idle? The only context for this not to make it silly would be either sci-fi like Starcraft or 4X like Civilization where you have an airport, the plane sits there and has an area it can hit before returns back to airport or carrier, while gathering and processing the resources for it 1500km away because the scale of the map is planetary in Civ. Otherwise you end up like a silly Empire Earth gameplay OR having to turn into an RTT which is the reason the only serious strategies within this context are RTT like Company of Heroes.
Just think about it, it just doesn’t work for what AOE represents. And all of you are saying exactly this over and over again, you dont want the series turned into something else completely.
And Relic knows this, dont worry, they are too smart not to realise they have to switch to strategy from tactics on this occasion.

1 Like