Age of Empires IV

CANT WAAAIT** <3 **

Age of Empires I was in the Stone Age. Age of Empires II was in the Medieval Age. Age of Empires III was in the Colonial Age. Age of Empires IV would be World War I? What do you all think?

@
And Relic knows this, dont worry, they are too smart not to realise they have to switch to strategy from tactics on this occasion.

Yes and for this reason they’re probably going to set AOE in different ages (not ww1 or WW2).
I’m pretty sure about it.

For everyone wants an world war 1 AOE, look at this upcoming rts “Iron Harvest”…It’s looks fantastic:

If AoE doesn’t continue to occupy the space of ancient histroric RTSes, then they leave a vacuum for someone else to fill. Similarly, there is already a crowded field of modern RTS war games. It seems misguided for AoE to walk away from ancient history solely in the name of some kind of predetermined eventuality.

Video game sequels don’t need to follow on a timeline. Now, the Devs certainly could choose to go to the 20th Century, but I hope they would do so for the right reasons.

I really hope the game is similar to Empire Earth, in the way of encompassing many ages into one game.

@nonlosojimmy said:

@WitchyBobcat029 said:

@KingDarBoja said:
Dude, that’s Empire Earth 1, you can’t even compare that game against AOE mechanics, it was more like Rise of Nations to be honest, without too much deep strategy through each age.

Is not empire earth 1. It is “Empires: Dawn of the Modern World” Empires Earth 1 was even better than that game.

I agree, you can’t even compare that game against AOE mechanics.

You can compare age of empires to empires dawn of the modern world. Mechanics are the same. Infact this is a game by Rick Goodman, an Ensemble studios founder.

I swear those buildings, walls, UI and even the minimap looks exactly like Empire Earth 1, just look at this:

But okay my fault not recognizing such game because I NEVER played it.

EDIT: In fact, Empire Earth was developed by Rick Goodman too.

@nonlosojimmy I don’t wanna be rude, but I saw already that game trailer and you should know it is a mix between World War I with futuristic theme (steampunk armies) which means it isn’t historical based like the AOE Franchise.

An RTS with too many too different ages just doesnt work -> see Empire Earth

Its just silly to see tanks batteling vs horses.

It’s also silly to see stabels turning into tank-factories.

Thats why i HOPE they wont make AEO4 from 1800 - 1945!

Another problem concerning WW-setting is: I think you wont find enough DIFFERENT cultures with DIFFERENT unites at this time to make the game realistic, balanced and interesting.

1 Like

@“Andy P” I don’t think they will leave a vacuum because they will fill it with other 3 RTS (AoE, I, II, and III DE)

Cant we get where AOE3 left off and get almost to WW1? Not fully WW1.

I swear, I was literally in tears after the announcement AND while watching the trailer. This will literally be rekindling my childhood, as I played this when I was 3 or 4 years old and still continue to play some games now and then. Thank you Microsoft and Relic entertainment for making this decision. I honestly wanted more of the Age of Empires series so badly. Thank you for making my childhood awesome and for making my adulthood just as awesome. Let a new age begin! <3

The trailer has +5 million views already!

@ZehnBarde9866 said:

@nonlosojimmy said:

@BRNanoFighter said:

@BAJOLI said:
The trailer shows the past aoe game themes and it seems that aoe4 will be a “new age”, which is around 1900 probably if it is chronological. I just want to say that most likely nobody in the aoe community is interested in another command and conquer, world war I and WWII games nor futuristic games. There are allready hundreds of them.

The fact is, there’s almost no RTS games related to WW1… and WW2 RTS games are in most cases are squad-based or logistical-based, not with a game mechanic like Age of Empires

yeah, this is the point… WW2 game will always be squad-based or logisticcal-based because it’s the only way to play them… Can we imagine a close formation with snipers, tiger tanks and panzergrenadiers?

No it can be played like Age of empires 1-3 just look at Empire Earth which was relativly simular to Age of Empires … I know know its by far not the same but thats why i call it “relative” Overall it just showed us that base building works also in the time of WW 1 and 2… You can build feces, minefields, tent barracs, bunkers, Flags, airports, fabriks, control centers etc… there is prenty enough room for funktional and important buildings in modern age as well. In terms of formation fights… mayby the troops might not fight in a clsoed formation anymore, but they stil will march in one. Also there is a differnce between a loose formation and no formation. Also in the modern area Tanks and normal soldiers as for example the navie seals do fight in a formation its just not a straight line shoulder to shoulder, but stil its no wild chaos in most if the time.

Actually we shall not repeat the same time periods in the Age of Empires series. Age of Empires IV will most likely be set either during the War of the Triple Alliance and the Great War (WWI) or it would be set during WWI and WWII plus the Cold War.

@BRNanoFighter said:
I’m glad to see such good News :smiley:

Hope the new Age of Empires tell the history of the Great Wars… at least early WW1 - early WW2
Victorian Era - end of WW1 would be nice too

And c’mon guys, this franchise doesn’t deserve to be a Medieval Simulator… :expressionless: the new game needs to move on to more modern Eras, like Age III did

I> @nonlosojimmy said:

1. Don`t listen to those pseudo nostalgigcs who tell you to do another Age of empires 2 by bringing Age of empires 4 to the medival Age… After all they just want a good old RTS game the way that i just described. They want to keep the AGE of Empires 2 feeling and thats fully ok!
    But in terms of the time, the game should take place at, the majority of the fans wants something new, like in the artbook of essemble… I can think of the time between 1850 and
  2. I know it´s just 100 years but I studied history and I can clearly tell, that in terms of technology and tactics and the way how countries went to war in those 100 years there have been almost as many changes/revolutions as in the 1000 years before. So be brave and do what Esemble promised us to do and bring AOE to WW1 and 2. Just stick to the base building and the varity of units and choices the way Age of Empires 2 had and you will make a great new game and even many of the old die hard Age 2 fans will love you for it!

Majority of the fans wants a comeback to ancient or medieval times. You are speaking about sieges, cities building, epic battles, walls and big armies… All good points which will never work on a ww2 rts game.

I love WW2 period and i’m bi fan of COH and Relic Team.

However Ensemble doesn’t promised us to do and bring AOE to WW1 and 2.

Actually the majority of AOE fans want the next title of AOE to be set after AOE3. Look at the poll in Poll 2 on the Age of Empires Wiki for example.

I’m looking forward to it, but I’m also concerned about it being developed by Relic. Despite making many RTSs, Relic has never made an AoE style game. Previous Relic RTSs have little to no base building, and have their gameplay based around the capture and control of nodes. The maps for Relic RTSs are typically very symmetrical, and not natural and largely open, like in AoE games.

I hope that Relic is going to make AoE4 an AoE game, and not a CoH or DoW game.

Premise of an Age of Empires game:

• more pensive and broad gameplay, and slower unit movement than other RTS’
  • large, asymmetrical, natural-looking maps, with lots of details to make a person want to explore them
  • luscious and varied environments, with lots of colour
  • emphasis on base-building and a plethora of upgrade paths
  • searching for, harvesting, and managing resources, trade, diplomatic gifts, etc
  • ability to build a base anywhere (Age of Mythology is an offshoot game, not a part of the main series)

My tips to Relic for potential gameplay additions to AoE4:

• if there’s snow, maybe make it induce a penalty on player movement
  • don’t add any capture-node gameplay (otherwise, I suspect that the mixed community reaction to DaW3 would be nothing by comparison to how the AoE community would react)
  • aim to emulate AoE at its most complex (AoK), and then expand from there

And remember Ensemble Studios and Bruce Shelley’s motto for the Age of Empires series: “The sun is always shining in Age of Empires”

Also, I personally don’t care for the modern ages, and would much rather play an Age of Empires game that is set in ancient (preferably very ancient) history.

Nice

@nonlosojimmy I don’t wanna be rude, but I saw already that game trailer and you should know it is a mix between World War I with futuristic theme (steampunk armies) which means it isn’t historical based like the AOE Franchise.

Yes i Know… I just posted it only to represent how WW1 game could be played on AOE mechanics

Is Relic going to use it’s essence engine for next AOE? It would be fantastic.

Question:
what will the historical story lines be that AOE IV follows? Love the way past games have followed close historical timelines and love the old story lines. Obviously new era historical lines would be interesting but that may just be a game for the future maybe called AOnewE lol just my take on it.

Ideas:
It would be cool if you could play the campaign in a more interactive user style. I mean have multiple scenarios occur from the decisions you make throughout the campaign. I think that would be interesting game play.

It would be cool if AOE IV allowed for multiple player campaign mode, the same idea GTA has is what I mean. I think that would be a cool option for the game in the future.

Down the road keep the online servers up forever like you did with AOE III. I mean I still play that now and again :smile:

Last idea and probably will get haters on this one but, would be nice if you could make AOE IV for PS4. I personally prefer PC play as I have always but if it goes to a gaming console of course Xbox would be the one but for anti Xbox players like me (not anti Microsoft, love MS, but not Xbox, prefer PS consoles) creating the game for both groups would be beneficial financially obviously and help to get the AOE name out there but also to bring in more faithful player additions to the Empire if you will :blush: just food for thought, don’t kill me Xbox fans :wink:

@“Lord Snipe69” said:
Looking forward to seeing the development. What age are you in? Dark? castle? imperial? post-Imperial? How do you turn this thing on?

And if it is all of those in the same game ! Probably best game ever since the franchise of Relic & co have so many diferent gameplay, just had microsoft developers and here we go <3
I think I will love this game even more thant the 3 before!