Age of Empires IV

I’m a litte bit hyped now ^^

Let’s just not have another Robot games fiasco…

Çocugum olsa bu kadar sevinmezdim.aoe 1 trialden dahil bütün modları demoları fulleri oynadım enseble studionun dagılmasıyla aoe4 rafa kaldırıldı sandım ama bu haberden sonra umutlarımın tükenmemesini gerektigini anladım

I just hope relic don’t ruin this game.

I’m so freaking hyped for this. My childhood memories are coming down on me.

When the fourth will be possible to be bought? what is the Date? FALL2017? WINTER? SPRING 2018?

I’m just wondering what the finance model for this game is going to be. I think it would be cool if they copied games like TF2 or League of Legends and only required payment for hats/skins. I’d also love it if they made a real competitive scene for this game like Starcraft 2 or MOBAs. Since E-Sports is big business these days, I really think an Esports finance model with in-game purchasing of skins/hats would work the best. Note: 20 years after this franchise started, AOE2 still has a community based competitive scene with several thousand players and regular tournaments - imagine what could happen if this was run/financed properly.

If the game had a similar balance of quests and multiplayer as AOE online but actually had a genuinely competitive ranked scene, that could make it the dominant competitive RTS game. Maybe it would be possible to incorporate some sort of betting in-game currency on ranked ladders too.

Edit: Also, the AOE2/Starcraft2 scenario editors have produced some of the funnest tower defense games and scenarios ever (Entropy TD is possibly my favorite game ever - incredibly well balanced/competitive). Open sourcing custom game development to the community is a really great way of getting top quality fun games. It might also be cool if the community could vote on the top games of the month (and maybe the devs could get rewards?).

@WardedTrout4451 said:
i really want to see some sword fights, archer and cavalary fighting on a modern day engine. When AoE 3 was launched graphically it was well ahead of its time, it still looks pretty and give tough time to today’s RTS.

Unfortunately i think AoE 4 will move to next age of rifles, machine guns , tanks , fighter jets that’s the only reason relic is called for this

one more thing is that i don’t want AoE 4 to look cartoonish like AOE online and DoW 3 looked

I think the game will be set on early Modern era, from late 19th to mid 20th Century or even contemporary times.

Trust me, if some of the original developers from Ensemble Studios are involved on the game, I doubt it will be cartoonish. AOE Online was just a Spin-off from the Age of Empires franchise, not part of the original series after all.

I’d like to participate in Definitive Edition\ AGE4 Russian translation! My steam workshop translation for AOM EE became very successful and received many good reviews! Please let me know how could I help!

I think the game will be set on early Modern era, from late 19th to mid 20th Century or even contemporary times.

Unlikely. MS is trying to make the franchise AAA relevant again, they won’t risk diluting the franchise identity for this release. Most mainstream gamers and casuals think of aoe as a swords & shields game so straying from that is dangerous from a franchise identity perspective, even aoe3 suffered from this issue.

This is further compounded by the trailer they put out. Yes, the trailer was a montage from the previous games but most mainstream people won’t know/notice that and MS will be aware of this. They wouldn’t put out a teaser for aoe4 that could mislead the mainstream. It’s actually very likely that aoe4 will cover exactly what we see in the teaser: from classical times to the renaissance.

1 Like

I’m hyped but after DoW3 I really don’t trust Relic not to ■■■■ this up, they’ve steadily gotten more and more granular in their scale as they’ve made games and AoE is NOT about micromanaging a small group of units or hand-holding hero units (Apart from AoM’s campaign, I must admit.).
AoE -must- be about base building, it -must- be about large armies, it -must- involve properly differentiated but not entirely dissimilar armies and it -must- not be about multiplayer to the exclusion of all else, because skirmish mode trumped all others, not last stand, not node capture, not pseudo-moba gibberish, AoE is about the gradual development of tactics modified by logistics, not about the speed with which you can hump a resource node and pump out one resource-optimised unit.
It’s not Starcraft, it’s not Total Annihilation, it’s not Dawn of War. It’s Age of motherfucking Empires. Make it play like one, please.

<3 :o

Just saying: the real aoe fans dont want an another empire earth or a game takes place in ww1… Give a game which is aoe/aoe2 era,dont listen the steam fan boys who ever havent played a single aoe/aoe2 game in their life

I know you can’t preorder this yet, so I just mailed a hundred dollar bill to Bill Gates…I’m sure it will figure itself out, right?

@kigbariom said:
Judging by the images in the trailer, it looks like the game might span up until the Edo period of Japan, so early 1800s. That’s perfect IMO, I wouldn’t want the game to go full into modern technology like EE or RoN. Very excited!!!

Judging by the trailer (especially the redcoat with the head bandage straight from the AoE III intro cinematic), I think all we saw is the “where we’ve been” with the franchise…Which makes sense since Asian Dynasties covered through the Edo period…

Also, I’m REALLY excited Relic is doing this. The Warhammer franchise has had really solid flow to it’s gameplay and good graphics for years now, including solid balance and diversity to different “civs”, so good call Microsoft.

Oh god i couldn’t belive it at first O.o
I kinda… feel the urge to play this game even earlier than early access!!!

I also think that this new game will focus on the “missing links” from the other AOE, like from late antiquity to the thirty years war. The involvement of relic definetly gives them a chance to set it into the early 20th century; but it seems there are already too many other rts games that accurately represent the world wars period. We will see, i guess.

AoE III was my favorite game from the franchise… I wish this game will have new civilizations like: Norths (Vikings), Mongolians, East European Civilizations. And the explorer should look different for each civilization. And the most important question ever: it will work on all Windows versions or only for the latest?

My thoughts about AOE IV

-An AOE game should be placed at least 200 years ago. There are allready hundreds of versions of WWI, WWII games.

• A lot of players want a more beautiful version of aok. I personnaly don’t consider aok to be the best aoe ever, because the pathing is terrrible and the civs are basically the same and the game is very slow and has very little playable strategies. Besides that aok is not 3d and not fast enough. The pvp experience of age of empires online was actually the best of all the aoe games. It plays fast and every civ is entirely different, there where a lot of strategies and the pathing and unit ai was decent. Players could fight out a large age 2 battle or move to age 4 in 15 minutes on watermaps.
  • AOE IV should never be about grinding. No grinding for homecity levels, playable cards and no grinding for gear (unless PVE). Besides that no pay to win elements, or microtransactions or 10 dlc’s per year etc.
  • AOE IV should combine the most popular core elements of all of the aoe games. Relic entertainment should spent a month to make sure they know exactly what aoe fans want of a new aoe. Do they want, a choice at every age-up for a certain bonus? Do they want cards? Do they want a fast game with a 5-6 minute age 2? Do they want anything comparable to godpowers/ shipments? Which timeperiod is the most loved one? Etc.

I am terrified… this could be the next great RTS all over again like AOE 2 OR it could suck and one of the BEST franchises ever would be ruined. I have sunk countless hours into this game from when I was a small child all the way up until now. A lot of my family still plays conquerors by having LAN parties. I am very hyped but skeptical about it, why would Microsoft be using relic right after DOW3’s flop? Hopefully its not the same team. Either way relic Please Please Please take your time and make this game right and listen/take advice from previous ensemble studios employees. This is not a franchise that you want to disappoint the fans with, if you thought DOW3 was bad with its hardcore fans wait until you meet the millions of people who for years have continuously been playing these titles. I can also say that if fans of AOE smell a wif of MOBA in this they will let you know. This game should stick to its classic RTS roots and not stray into different genres no matter how tempting it might be to change the game play. I am ecstatic this is finally happening but Microsoft and Relic need to take their time, spend the money and make a game worthy of its name.