Age of Empires - What do you expect from the game?

Hello clan, all right? Well I’m new to the insider community, but would I like to sabre what you expect from the game? :slight_smile:

I expect a working, smooth and polished definitive edition of Age of Empires… Seriously.

I would like to be able to have the option of listening to the original soundtrack as well - because nostalgia.

With all the latest happenings, my expectations have narrowed - Was hoping for the scenario editor to get a big rework as that (imo) wouldn’t effect the old-school feel anyway as it isn’t gameplay that’s being effected. However, that’s a big ask when the basic mechanics arn’t even ready yet, let alone polished. Would be unrealistic of me to batter on about that at this stage.

@“Helios Ra” said:

" I would like to be able to have the option of listening to the original soundtrack as well - because nostalgia."

Well, that’s what I’d like. :smiley:

To drive my enemies before me

I expect quality and smooth performance with minimal bugs. I expect it not to crash and the path finding to be top notch. I expect free multiplayer on the PC and nostalgic concepts that make AoE franchise shine. The last and final thing I expect is a reason to move away from the previous games of the fanchise, so I actually have a reason to buy into AoE IV.

Expectations: The same gameplay and features as AOE I & II, with a modern twist, more realistic buildings, more civilizations, updated real world maps, updated and upgraded military options with a bigger selection of warriors. Archers need to have more power and range. This will increase the amount of strategies players can have while attacking and defending. How about the option to pave brick roads? or construct bridges? Bigger mountains?

I expect this to be nothing like AOE III which was horrendous. Nothing too fancy that will drive the new game too far from the original AOE I & II

@“Helios Ra” said:
I expect a working, smooth and polished definitive edition of Age of Empires… Seriously.

I would like to be able to have the option of listening to the original soundtrack as well - because nostalgia.

With all the latest happenings, my expectations have narrowed - Was hoping for the scenario editor to get a big rework as that (imo) wouldn’t effect the old-school feel anyway as it isn’t gameplay that’s being effected. However, that’s a big ask when the basic mechanics arn’t even ready yet, let alone polished. Would be unrealistic of me to batter on about that at this stage.

I thought they said Classic Mode kept the old soundtrack? I swear I read that somewhere a few months ago, maybe in the “What We Know” thread, but take that with a big grain of salt.

Since FE is using the basic Genie engine, I don’t know how plausible an Editor remake would be. I’d like it though.

@RWNorthPole said:
I thought they said Classic Mode kept the old soundtrack? I swear I read that somewhere a few months ago, maybe in the “What We Know” thread, but take that with a big grain of salt.

I did hear that too but I wasn’t sure if it was hot-air or not.

And if this is the case; Ideally, I’d like to be able to play in the new modes with the old soundtrack. A simple option tick-box for New/Old soundtrack would do the trick.

@TestableWharf54 said:
To drive my enemies before me

And hear the lamentation of their women?

Oh wait, tis’ all dudes.

@“Helios Ra” said:

@RWNorthPole said:

I did hear that too but I wasn’t sure if it was hot-air or not.

And if this is the case; Ideally, I’d like to be able to play in the new modes with the old soundtrack. A simple option tick-box for New/Old soundtrack would do the trick.

I agree with you。 I like zhe first edition music,I hope I can choice which to play.

I have only played the original Age of Empires and I have played that game for a long time with a lot of fun, so I expect it to be more or less the same as that version. What I would like to see in the new version is better screenquality, more maps, online and multiplayer games with different options. I especially liked the single player mode against the computer and in this game I expect the same as the original but with some extra features as more different soldiers, ages or possibilities to make and brake alliances during the game, etc. Something that makes the game more interesting to play and more time to discover and make it better as the original.

@“Helios Ra” said:

Basically what this guy said + a more up to date single player campaign

Dead bodies stay for a good amount of time. Exploring the map and finding corpses adds to the overall atmosphere of the game which makes it fun :slight_smile:

Same awesome game,
Better scenario editor than the original,
Mod support, including Data file mods. We didn’t even get that in AOE II HD, despite the enormous mod community

I hope the game will have same spirit as the first version. It is fantastic information that new AOE will have something more than first. I hope the multiplayer mode will be available :).

Someone knows if the new version will have some dyplomacy dealings management ? it could be great if this point will be polish and elaborate (for example with get support in battle from ally)

I expect smooth frames while playing and also the stability of the game. I also would like the pathfinding to be improved. Not in the beta so not sure on any changes.

I wish they make option like in AOE III no rush option.

Decent pathfinding.

I expect a low effort and low quality product that only thrives on nostalgia to milk every last bit out of the legacy of the series.

I have very little confidence in MS and the people working on it.