AI, Maps of Islands

I remember when I played my first game on a map of Islands, each team on an island with limited resources that forces them to leave the island in search of bigger islands with more resources where they should settle and fight for resources, as I left my island In search of the largest islands and found them, I established my base and I began to look for the enemies with the surprise that no one had left its initial island, I did not play again a map of islands in Age of Empires I.

The AI is completely unable to transport villagers over water. That seems to be one of the more complicated things to teach the AI, as even the AoE2 AI is unable to do that. It would be nice if the AI was able to do that, but it only comes useful in a very few map types, so the developers probably have more important things to focus on and I would be quite surprised if this gets fixed.

The map is called Migration and it is available in Age of Empires II.

@qweytr24 said:
The AI is completely unable to transport villagers over water. That seems to be one of the more complicated things to teach the AI, as even the AoE2 AI is unable to do that. It would be nice if the AI was able to do that, but it only comes useful in a very few map types, so the developers probably have more important things to focus on and I would be quite surprised if this gets fixed.

In AoE III we can see a remarkable improvement in that subject, but still, they only transport troops, do not make new bases nor colonize the islands.

@rhrmn said:
The map is called Migration and it is available in Age of Empires II.

Yes, that is the map that I mean jajajajajajajajaja to see that they did not move of their islands I did not return to play maps of islands. XD

This is really a problem, and still have it. When African Kingdoms expansion for AoE II HD was released, played the very nice Nile Delta map and guess what… that same problem. Of course is difficult to teach the AI to efficiently transport villagers and build new bases, but don’t think it’s so an impossible task…

There are very nice maps impossible to play with AI due to this 20-year old problem.

@the_choson_one said:
This is really a problem, and still have it. When African Kingdoms expansion for AoE II HD was released, played the very nice Nile Delta map and guess what… that same problem. Of course is difficult to teach the AI to efficiently transport villagers and build new bases, but don’t think it’s so an impossible task…

There are very nice maps impossible to play with AI due to this 20-year old problem.

I hope they solve it with AoE DE :#

@“Tha Somin” said:

@qweytr24 said:

In AoE III we can see a remarkable improvement in that subject, but still, they only transport troops, do not make new bases nor colonize the islands.

Really? When I played the Amazon map aganst the AI, they would never transport anything. They would only fight on the water. That was in Vanilla though, so maybe one of the expansions sorted it out?

@“Rafa Sheep” said:

@“Tha Somin” said:

@qweytr24 said:

Really? When I played the Amazon map aganst the AI, they would never transport anything. They would only fight on the water. That was in Vanilla though, so maybe one of the expansions sorted it out?

I do not know, I sometimes tried to play islands again and I did the same thing, I did not transport troops or move from their island, I only created troops on their island and ships.

Age of Mythology didn’t have that problem. The map Vinland worked great, all the ai players always moved to the big island to colonize it, they even built town centers there.

@LordDraganta said:
Age of Mythology didn’t have that problem. The map Vinland worked great, all the ai players always moved to the big island to colonize it, they even built town centers there.

I hope you do the same in Age of Empires I :#

I think I played that Migration map in AoE 1 as well, was so annoyed when I found the enemy AI standing there doing nothing :slight_smile:

Agreed. Migration is such a cool concept and when I saw it I was so excited only to find that nobody from the beginning left their starting island. Some even built on that tiny island!

@Penelinfi said:
I think I played that Migration map in AoE 1 as well, was so annoyed when I found the enemy AI standing there doing nothing :slight_smile:

I was in a hurry to leave the island early and go to the big island to make a base, when I arrived I explored it and there was nobody, I went to the other and there was no one, I thought to go see the Enemy initial islands and there they were all, without moving.

@“Noble Yonas” said:
Agreed. Migration is such a cool concept and when I saw it I was so excited only to find that nobody from the beginning left their starting island. Some even built on that tiny island!

True, in addition to not moving, they created the entire army on the initial island and perhaps remember a few warships XD

More biomes.