AI musketeers will chase cavalry around in melee mode despite having other things to kill

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #: 100.12.37816.0 UP
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.

AI musketeers will always chase cavalry around in melee mode. Given that it is impossible for them to catch cavalry, they basically will just die to other attacks in the meantime. They will not attack anything else till cavalry leaves their sight.

It is therefore very easy to lure them with cavalry and then use light infantry to shoot them down as they are moving around brainlessly in hand mode after the cavalry they will never catch. See image and recording below. I show a picture of AI Maigadi chasing hussars while my longbowmen do quick work of them.

It is MUCH BETTER for them TO SHOOT AT THE CAVALRY IN THIS SITUATION, instead of dealing no damage and dying in the process.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Attack enemy musketeer units with Cavalry and other things.
  2. Watch as the muskets get into hand mode to attack cavalry.
  3. They will chase cavalry around and not attack anything else…

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?

Idk what should happen - but when cavalry is fleeing from a fight, the other soldiers must be killed before running after the horsies.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

These Maigadis are running after hussars, instead of killing my longbows.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe3Ysav) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe3Yrec) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.
Here is the recording. The above fight happens around 18 minutes or so:
Maigadi_chase.age3Yrec (10.8 MB)

3 Likes

+1 from me. I like that ai uses formations and stances, but musketeers should only engage in meelee when they can actually hit the cav, if not, ranged should be the default. I’ve seen the ai micro their units much better than before, I think it just needs tuning to get there.

2 Likes

Thanks for reminding me about this issue @DiplexBoss6! We’re now tracking this bug :smiley:

4 Likes

Thank you so much Mr. Ippert.

Another issue with some AI units (mostly musketeers) is that sometimes I see them use melee attacks in range. They will swing their bayonet/scimitar from far away and my units will get hit.

This also happens with Indian Brahmins and their stomp ability. The AI brahmin sometimes use stomp at range and my units will get paralyzed even though the Brahmin is nowhere close.

Thank you so much for reading my reports!

2 Likes

These magical long range hits are something we’re aware of yes, but it’s been hard to get to the bottom of it. Hopefully we’re successful in this soon :slight_smile:.

4 Likes