AI & Pathfinding Improvements?

Will they be improving the AI and the pathfinding? Trying to move large groups of units around the map is exceptionally micro heavy in the original. Units attempt to maintain the formation you grouped them in, which gets messy if you’ve grouped them on opposite sides of the map. Moreover, the AI still decides it’s a wise tactical move to face dive your armies with villagers because there’s a berry bush behind them.

What issues with the AI and the pathfinding have you noticed?

Indeed, the pathfinding and to a lesser extent the AI are the main reasons I find Age 1 and 2 unplayable today, compared to Mythology and Age 3, which I absolutely adore. I’m really hoping this edition, which seems somewhere between a remaster and a remake, will improve in these areas.

In the other games they remastered they actually made all of that much worse.

Actually the pathfinding in AOC its ok, you can even use it to your advantage when discovering terrain.

I would enjoy a new pathfinding system, I mean my units got stuck all the time in the forest or at rivers for no real reason.
I hope they will improve this.

Definitely agree. It made the AI easy to beat. It was a bit better in aoe 3 though, hopefully they’ve learned from that.

@AnteBellumPax said:
Actually the pathfinding in AOC its ok, you can even use it to your advantage when discovering terrain.

Indeed, the pathfinding in AoE II:HD suffers however.

I would say it is almost guaranteed that AI and pathfinding will be improved vastly, hopefully there will also be the addition of custom AI scripts, and if we’re lucky formations.