An argument for and analysis of Poles being added as a playable civilization

That does make sense. This discussion was to brainstorm ideas for how the civilization look. Obviously I dont want the civ to be over or under powered.

My reasoning for the 10% cavalry speed bonus starting in dark age was to give them a slight military and scouting boost in dark age and feudal. I know the cumans have the upgrade "cavalry 5% faster each age starting in feudal) so I was looking for a slight change.

The UT wouldn’t fall in the category of light cavalry. It would essentially be a faster knight. Like how the woad raider is a faster swordman.

You do have a point that all of this upgrades would make them OP maybe.

What are your ideas?

You can make that argument with Italians, Franks, Britons, Indians, Rus, Chinese as well.

1 Like

Sicilians <> Italians

1 Like

Although I am tired of another polish propaganda :slight_smile: I liked your proposal because I see you have spent some time to prepare this summary. I appreciate it!

2 Likes

Polish was a true medieval powerhouse, they should be in the game for historical reasons

2 Likes

Winged Hussars in Poland at Middle Ages? If so, it makes me laugh too.
I come from Poland.

1 Like

Again I addressed this. I believe as well, that the winged hussar should not be in the game.

1 Like

Thank you for your comments and ideas!

I wanted to address the opposing arguments I’ve heard about why the civ could/should not be added first before giving supportive arguments to address both sides.

1 Like

I mean absolutely no offense to Poland, but, no, it wasn’t a powerhouse.

It was a very well-positioned state that enjoyed a dynasty of successful rulers (the Jagellonians) that laid out the foundation for it to become an incredibly powerful state following the formation of the Commonwealth. After the 1385 Personal Union with the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, the Yagellonians were able to, over the course of a century, gradually lay the foundation for one of the most powerful states in Europe during the 16-18 centuries. Gradually incorporating the Teutonic Order and the Prussian citiies, and Polonizing the Ruthenian nobility allowed them to become the dominant player in the Personal Union- a fact reflected in the 1569 transfer of the 4 provinces of what is now Ukraine to the Crown of Poland from the possessions of the Grand Duchy.

But prior to 1569, the actual Crown of Poland controlled far less territory than modern-day Poland- keep in mind that Pomerania and Silesia were parts of the HRE at the time, and the only part of the Rus’ lands that Poland had was Galicia, with occasional control over Bukovina as part of Moldavian state - Volyhnia, Podolia, Kyiv and Chernihiv lands were all part of the Grand Duchy until 1569. Though the political control has been shifting to Poland throughout the almost 200-odd years (1385-1569), de jure this only occurred in 1569, when the Crown of Poland officially more than doubled its size by this land transfer.

And before 1385, Poland had several brilliant rulers (who established the Kingdom in the first place), followed by an intense period of political fragmentation. Kasimir the Great managed to end it, but he was also the last of the Piasts; and the subsequent fate of Poland was directly tied to the Jagellonians and thus, to Lithuania.

EDIT: and before people jump to conclusions, I am not advocating against adding Poland into the game. Frankly, I’m ambivalent about it. But I did want to counter the “basic” argument of “Obviously, the “powerhouse” Poland has to be in!”.

Adding new civs (especially European civs) should be a nuanced discussion, not single-phrase statements that help some to perpetuate the idea that that their civ not being in the game is an obvious “travesty”

4 Likes

Didn’t you mention a light cav unique tech?
Anyway the faster cav bonus is just out of question because Cuman already have it, and it had to be nerfed, something like +10% faster monks but no fervour would be fine too, but not as a team bonus.

The UU could be OK but only if it has weaker stats than the knight-line equivalent. Speed is not to be understimated as a stat.

The timeline of the game runs until the 16th century. At that time, Poland was a power. I will present you maps of Poland under the rule of several rulers.

Mieszko I (Reign: 960–992)

Bolesław I the Brave (Reign: 992 – 1025)

Wenceslaus II of Bohemia (Reign: 1300–1305)

Casimir III the Great (Reign: 1333–1370)

Louis I of Hungary (Reign: 1370–1382)

Ladislaus II Jagiello (Reign: 4 March 1386 – 1 June 1434)

Ladislaus III of Varna (Reign: 1434–1444)

As you can see, Poland was a big country, even before the Jagiellonians.

3 Likes

Since there is a dispute over Poles and Czechs in the game, and to the Wends umbrella, they sound archaic. This can create the Jagiellonian civilization (I know it is a dynasty, but it had an impact on these countries. You can call it a civilization).

We already have Lithuanians (Gediminids) and Hungarians (Corvinians), but Poles and Czechs are still missing. So you can create the Jagiellonian civilization.

They would have two unique units:
Poland (pancern)
Czech (Hussite War Wagon)

Their emblem would be the Jagiellonian coat of arms.
The rulers could also be non-Jagiellonian (Přemyslid and Piast).

I consider it a compromise solution between Poles and Czechs in the game.

Just add poles and bohemians as separate civilizations(if they do get added).

2 Likes

It is known that it would be the best, but it would risk not taking into account other civs without representation in the game (South Slavs, Romanians, Georgians and Armenians). Unfortunately, I doubt that 7 Eastern European civilizations are added to the game. In the case of Western Slavs and South Slavs, one needs compromise civs - umbrella civs.
5 East European civilizations (two umbrella for South and West Slavs) or 7 East European civilizations (Poles, Czechs, Serbs, Croats, Romanians, Georgians and Armenians).

Well, unless Georgians and Armenians would be in another DLC (Asian or a standalone Caucasian DLC).

Man I need only a new meso civi, there are only three

1 Like

Actually there are only two Meso civs, because Mesoamerican means Central American: Mayans and Aztecs. Incas are South American, so they aren’t Meso, anyways I’d love to see 10 more American civs.

Sounds just as archaic as Goths, Teutons, Franks, Persians and Celts.
All of these are groups from the last centuries of Rome, taht survived into the Middle Ages and became other groups.

Wends makes sense if you use the original AoK naming conventions. More sense than Huns, for example.

1 Like

Yes, but heard other opinions.

I wouldnt mind wends, it could have 2 UU an imperial hussar upgrade and some bohemian castle unit, i can remember ir there is a cavalry and gunpowder civ (maybe burgundians).

If they add a south slavic civ it should be serbs, other non slavic option could be romanians ir georgiana.

Imperial Hussar would be a mistake, the Hussar is already the best Trash unit by far, because it is the only one that can take an offensive role, and the Winged Hussar that it would allude to, is not even from the Middle Ages.

1 Like