Analyses of the ratings - Spotting the issues

The new DLC/patch probably doesnt include a fix for this issue? The thread already existed for about 2 year. The issue itself exists from the launch of the game and is still ignored by the devs…

So i made this thread about 2 years ago. The issue isnt fixed yet. It is still fully ignored. That makes me really disapponted into the devs. Why ignore such big issue for years? The team game ladder is broken since the release and the devs really dont care at all?!

It is kinda the same with the promised road map: They made some promises, but if they really have to do stuff, then they just dont do it. No road map, but also no fix for this issue. As result we have no idea if the devs at least are working on a new improved system to fix the current issue on the TG ladder.

1 Like

after the change (?) last year which lead to better elo changes after games (ie the sum of elo stays the same) loads of people had inflated elo and are now complaining about supposed ‘smurfs’ at their elo.

The way I see it there are no solutions which wouldn’t require a complete TG elo reset, and I think the dev-team might be unwilling to do this because loads of people seem to value their elo quite highly. especially since many people wouldnt be able to reach their (inflated) elo again after such a change i think this might be unpopular

I think a TG elo reset based on initial solo elo values could work.
And using the Correct calculation method proposed by @Mercy9545

I don’t say that solo elo and team elo are the same, but for most players the difference is probably less than +/- 200 elo which can be achieved by just playing some games.

I think this you got completely wrong. There are dozens of smurf accs to boost certain players elos. And they are even often pushed by intentionally going in TGs of low elo players to lose and “gain” negative elo. It’s absurd.
And yes this is only really “viable” because we use the wrong method to calc team elo - with mercys method smurf elo boosters would have basically no effect on boosting someones elo. Especially not the elo of the top guys.

dozens of smurf in 40k active accounts is still irrelevant

Not if they make thousands of games each…

This is a wrong assumption. After the change people start to make smurf accounts, so their average elo is lower, so they could play against less skilled players to boost the main account elo. Most of the current 4k+ elo account got to this level due to abusing the system this way…I am pretty sure about that one. That is for me the big flaw in the current system. It promotes using smurf accounts like this.

I do support a reset of the ladder after fixing the current issues on the TG ladder.

2 Likes

And again this issues is fully ignored in the latest patch. Broken TG ratings arent even mentioned in the patch notes under ‘ongoing investigations’ anymore. Everything looks like the devs dont care at all about this issue.

they don’t care and it’s sad.

tried to play with a friend after work yesterday.
he is 2k0 i am 2k8 we got 5 matches all had smurfs in the enemy team and we only had losses right away.

The issues of the TG ladder and smurfing aren’t even mentioned under Ongoing Investigation or in the road map.

Shocking…

I’m also sad about this. Especially as we now what causes the issue with the smurfs being so successfull in elo boosting.
It’s the wrong calculation of the Team Elo that gives smurfs too big impact.

Ofc we can’t stop people from smurfing but smurfing to boost the elo of the main account is that was is commonly known as “Multipushing” in all kind of other Multiplayer Games and for good reason prohibited.

Im just bumping this thread to notify, devs are lazy to fix a problem which we had since games launch :wink: Honestly dont know if i should laugh or cry at this point, game aint fun anymore playing seriously. Griefing is more fun because you dont get banned lolz

I will activate this thread again to tell you all about this new TG elo fix:
https://www.ageofempires.com/news/updates-to-ranked-team-game-elo-calculation/

1 Like

Oh, CRAP. That is a really bad solution.

This will cause the ratings of players who frequently play together to converge again, even if their skill levels are wildly different. Paradoxically, now I may need a smurf account to play with my friends if I want to get fair matches.

2 Likes

For people that exclusively play together, this is not a bad thing. At the end, the elo of the players will be more accurate

1 Like

Much needed but way too late. I understand taking time to fix bugs and pathing to an extent, but one year to come up with this simple solution? And, pre-teaming is still not addressed. IMO, pre-teams should get an virtual increase in team elo.

1 Like

It’s a good short-term solution
The main problem still is smurfs accounts
We’ll see if this fix is enough or it would need something else

1 Like

To bring back the old “If you carry your friend that is below your level he will get a lot of points and you win very few”, that’s an issue and unfair. Will end with bad players who with rated ELO cause they always play with good players that makes them win. When the team loses they dont lose ELO and when they win, they win a lot. I’ve seen this many times before.
You can just cap the max ELO between accounts to join a ranked team game (they can still played QM and lobbies) and only apply this adjustment after some ELO difference, let’s say 500.

It’s an issue indeed, but capping Elo difference or things like that are not necessary. You could simply improve the calculation.

I made a Reddit post on the issue, as devs seem to be more active there: https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe2/comments/vymmtq/new_teamgame_rating_calculation_will_make_me_a/

2 Likes

As people always point out, then you end up with people trying to legitimately play with their friends having to turn to smurf accounts, which is not really a good solution.

1 Like