Analyses of the ratings - Spotting the issues

The bashing / blaming of the “losers” has begun

If you want to put it that way, sure. Im just pointing out that soloq/current system is still trash as usual. You either do get players who want to play even with smallest mistakes happening or you get dumptrucked against 4-stack/ better players elowise.

1 Like

11 You’re right, sorry for my outburst. out of topic , I like your statistics posts :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really havent played this game for months. Can someone give me an update about the new rating system? Is it really improvement? Or is it still trash?

1 Like

It’s already developing as predicted:
Players with higher elos have win rates above 50 % and also need these winrates to maintain their ranking.
Players with lower elos have winrates way below 50 %.

So there is no fair matchmaking possible because of a wrong calculation method that requires higher ranked players to win significantly more often than losing to maintain their elo.

2 Likes

the teamgame ratings are just random noise. almost everyone clusters in a narrow elo range, so there isn’t enough separation between skill tiers

a huge chunk of games are just decided by some idiot resigning at 5 minutes and dodging the map. the wins and losses even out because it’s “random”, but it makes the ratings meaningless

and then you have custom scenarios like michi / arena influencing the rating which makes it impossible to know whether an actual RM game will be fair or not

1 Like

So we are still in need of a fix for the TG ladder?

Yes, rather dont waste your time on this game and play something else. You just lose braincells and ur time if you even try to get even, fun games. Tg rating is and has been broken since launch and devs apparently dont know how to properly fix it

1 Like

Sadly without aoe2.net i can not show you my amazing games, from 10 games i get 9 games with allies up to 600 points lower than me against higher opponents such as the same biz from this topic, he is 1900 playing vs 1200 most of the time cause the match making, i wouldn’t complain if my allies would be closer to my level or if the enemy is closer to my allies, but no they are closer or higher than me but i am still carrying 1100 players.

For god sake just add ranked lobbies for team games, keep the match making for 1x1 and for stackers on tg that just want to crush newbies, but we demand a fair system to find games and since your match making algorithm is trash give us back the power to create our games with elo to find even matches, instead of the mayhem that you have created and couldn’t care less.

2 Likes

try https://www.aoe2insights.com/

If you want to track unranked rating for players (any standard ranked ratings you can just check in-game), you can try aoe2companion as well. It also has match history if you wanted to show anything.

Accidentally misread this though, usually ranked queue shouldn’t put you against this type of discrepancy, that should only happen once you’ve been in queue for too long.

Is it still this bad? I havent read much complaints about it. Must admit i didnt really look (or play) either… If the complaints go silent, then it might be good enough. Or people also stop caring about the bad state of this the ranked TG ladder…

Playing with friends is fine, randoms are a die roll. Some are fine and some don’t communicate so it can definitely be frustrating.

Game was released in 2019, we are now at 2023, nothing has been done to improve things, pro players not using the ladder was the very first sign followed by hundreds of complains but they did not care back then and they don’t care now.

Most users already lost the hope regarding the tg ladder, my self included, thanks top the guys in charge i play way less than ever, keep up the good job.

How Pro Players aren’t using the ladder?

map bans was added
map favouriting was added
map polls were added
elo calculation was changed twice
elo was reset
map poll was moved ingame

claiming nothing has been done to improve the situation is just a lie.

pro players play 1v1 because it is and always has been the more balanced and competitive mode. This is not due to the ladder.

4 Likes

Not to mention the small number of pros with* different time zones making it harder to organise team games.

1 Like

I guess you are relatively new to the game, before DE there was voobly, at european peak zone time there were lots of high TG games going for 6-8 hours and even longer on the weekends, pro players love to play team games, ever since DE they tried for 3 weeks to host unranked lobbies instead of using the ladder cause they were never ok with forced settings, that was the first signal that something needed to change at early days.

Suomi, wwp, am guys and gl were playing daily TG 2k level, now you only see them playing tournaments or few some rage forest, they lost completely all interest in using the tg ladder and not because they prefer 1x1, tg’s are about chilling for them, DE removed something they used to enjoy about the game and for that particular reason we have never seen them in the top TG ladder, instead we got a bunch of point traders, noob bashing exploiting the ladder.

Just because you have never seen them playing on DE it doesn’t mean they have never arranged to play together, ask any of them the situation about team games or the ladder to hear from them.

2 Likes

@SouBotsito is right that teamgames were more often played on Voobly. I am not sure about all the reasons for this though. It could also be that teamgames were more stable and less demanding for your computer on Voobly.

Well, yes, they made changes, but were they good changes? I disagree, for instance, with the second time they changed the Elo calculation. They do some work, some of which is good, but at least to me it is clear that they do not have someone in the team who has the time and capability to think about the matchmaking issue in a thorough and proper manner. Currently, matchmaking is fine in most cases, but it is not if you are playing with a varying pool of players who have large differences in skill amongst themselves, or if you play with or against someone who does.

Also, the lobby system needs to be improved and you should have a better friend system in this game, but those are other topics.

1 Like

The game was easier to run, but there used to be lag in 4x4 when the trade was running high, they fixed the tradecart path finding impact on the DE making it easier to run 4x4 games, but it was until the first year of DE, cause at release even the 3x3 were laggier than voobly, but the point was that the experts playerbase used to play daily team games for fun and that thing was lost at day 1 of DE.

As for the other guy i did not bother responding him, cause he apparently has only selective memory.

map bans was added
map favouriting was added > this 2 options were added 6 months after release and it was a zeroempires suggestion, t was random before so any map could be chosen from the pool, there wa sno way to force ur map by abusing ban and preferred like nowadays.

map polls were added> Added around this forums which needed double or triple authentication so for +2 years the maps were ##### by less than 400 voters.

elo calculation was changed twice> The first elo changed created the 5k elo guys, previous elo system would not give point to the highest players ona team (2x2 vs low elo) so inflation was controlled a little but the point distrbution was still a lot, in 5 months the 3k players hit the ladder, with the first change the 5k elo appeared and now with the current change most player are deflated cause the point distribution benefits staking, as solo player my elo fluctuates 200 point in a day cause of awful matches all the time.

elo was reset> elo wasn’t resetted, elo got a 1k dreduction in most cases and slightly higher for the big boys trading (but they are still at the top 11)

map poll was moved ingame> Yeah after +3 years yikes, but still justa palliative answer cause single players vote for troll maps and people are still playing maps they don’t want to.

During all this time they have tried to cure the symptoms but no the illness, even a blind dude could see what has been causing all the mess and it is the forced settings all this time, there is no other workaround and the situation is not going to improve as long as they keep the mentality that the should babysit the aoe MP players and tell’em what they should be playing and who to play with or against-

At this point we know for sure that both match making and ranked ladder can co exist as they aim for a different audience, those who want to play whatever map or level(casuals) and those who want to play fair games aiming for competitiveness, the argument of the waiting times would increase wouldn’t the hurt the game but in fact would reduce noob bashing or very unfair matches on maps that no one asked to play.

1 Like