Ancient history needs a reboot

im not talking age of empires 1 definitive edition 2, no i’m talking about AoE5!
i know the devs are already working hard on AoE3 DE, AoE4, and hopefully AoMDE/2 and an AoE2 expansion, but if you ever played AoE, after AoE2, it’s very klunky, and not to mention, no civ specific wonders, some very inaccurate things, and legions are basically spartan, no matter what civ you play
i love AoE timeframe, but the AoE2 gameplay is way better
now the devs didn’t really do a bad job since, this is the first age of empires game, so it has a place in our hearts, but it can be massively improved.

some things to improve the game would be to have regional units instead of generic units, as technology was more isolated back then, they would also have several unique units, like if every civ was like AoE3 ottomans, having lots of UU’s, but also different factions have different tech trees so only some civs share units

another thing is that husbandry should be a technology to transition from chariots to horses

feel free to post civ concepts, and an identity to the faction they belong to

here is an example, i made this one quickly and is not a final product

Egyptians
Economic and religious civ
desert faction (with hyskos), has a focus on kopesh swordsmen, chariots, camels, and a bit of elephants
and the details go here

for the ages i suggest having
Tool Age
Agricultural age
Bronze Age (War/Violence Age)
and Iron Age (Advanced Age)

2 Likes

AoEIIDE expansion? I haven’t heard that.

1 Like

just speculation since alot of the community wants it

To be honest it baffled me that AoE4 was announced to be an AoE2’s reboot even though AoE2DE was doing so well. When I saw the first trailer I was misled into thinking this new game would encompass all time period, like an Empire Earth with more focus on civs uniqueness or a Civilization with more focus on warfare gameplay. It could have been fun, just like a sequel to AoE3 focusing on the XIXth to early XXth century would have been intersting. But ever since I heard the chose the reboot road, I’m baffled they didn’t start with AoE1. Maybe this game isn’t performing as well comercially as AoE2DE and they thought it was because of the time period, and even though I think it may be one of the reason, I’m still convinced it’s more due to outdated gameplay and game design aspects and the fact that AoE1 does nothing that AoE2 doesn’t do better aside from being an Ancient era game.

That being said, I’ve been wondering after playing AoE1DE if the game shouldn’t be split in two (I already made the same argument about AoE2 by the way). Most of the vanilla factions and the technology tree feel like the game was intended to stop right before the Hellenistic Period, and the factions and campaigns from the Rise of Rome give me the impression that they should have been part of a different game covering the time period from the late 4th century BC (Alexander’s conquests/Roman unification of Latium) up to the 3rd century AD (Crisis of the Third Century) followed by a game covering the Late Antiquity and Early Middle Ages up to the 10th/11th century, then one about the High/Late Middle Ages and the Renaissance.

2 Likes

all the info about aoe4 and whatnot came to me a bit all at once, so i didn’t really wonder about it

but i agree with you as civs before and after the bronze age collapse would have diffrent playstyles (chariots into cavalry), that being said however, i feel like the iron age would be a literal “endgame” resort, maybe you face consequences when advancing, i personally don’t know, as having an ancient history game withouth rome is not really something i want. However how would rome work before they reach the iron age? (did they even exist before? im not a history expert)

I bought AoE1DE twice :clown_face:

1 Like

I’d say stone then copper age for the 1st 2 ages, but yeah. It should be historically & culturally more accurate & richer too!

1 Like

stone age has always felt weird, since it’s at least associated with the hunter gatherer ways of living, good ideas though