...and what about Decisive Games?

Some time ago, Microsoft hired people for a game-development studios called Decisive Games, focused in ‘‘a beloved strategy game’’. I have not seen any news about it in all that time, but now that we have Age of Empires Definitive Edition being developed by The Forgotten, and not Decisive Games, I have a question to ask: which other ‘‘beloved strategy game’’ could it refer to?

Age of Empires IV? Rise of Nations II? Did I miss something?

What do you think?

I remember the ‘beloved strategy game’ quote and thought AOE4 at the time then saw Halo Wars 2 announced and thought it was that.

Is Halo Wars 2 considered a strategy game?

@“Mystic Taboo” said:
I remember the ‘beloved strategy game’ quote and thought AOE4 at the time then saw Halo Wars 2 announced and thought it was that.

@IamFarmer said:
Is Halo Wars 2 considered a strategy game?

Yes, but Halo Wars 2 developers are 343 Industries & Creative Assembly. Not Decisive Games, so Halo Wars 2 discarded.

I looked for Decisive Games website without luck, but reading another source at IGN (see [link] here)(http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/09/microsofts-decisive-games-team-working-on-beloved-strategy-gameign.com/articles/2015/01/09/microsofts-decisive-games-team-working-on-beloved-strategy-game”) and this said: "Decisive Games, will form the new studio and bring the “next installment in a beloved strategy game franchise to the next generation of gamers”.

Now the question is: “What is the name of the new studios? Did they got fired/closed/splitted into another studio?”

From a Google search the latest I can find is Decisive Games was disbanded last year.

Oh @dariakus

@KingDarBoja said:
I looked for Decisive Games website without luck, but reading another source at IGN (see [link] here)(Microsoft's Decisive Games Team Working on "Beloved Strategy Game" - IGNMicrosoft's Decisive Games Team Working on "Beloved Strategy Game" - IGN”) and this said: "Decisive Games, will form the new studio and bring the “next installment in a beloved strategy game franchise to the next generation of gamers”.

Now the question is: “What is the name of the new studios? Did they got fired/closed/splitted into another studio?”

Exactly because of this is why I asked. There are no news about Decisive Games since that famous job offer. If they closed or got fired, surely we had known it, but nothing. I think we can have a surprise-announcement of Age of Empires IV (Rise of Nations II would be great too, but that exact words “next installment in a beloved strategy game franchise” fit more accurately for Age of Empires), but that extreme silence makes me doubt.

@rhrmn said:
From a Google search the latest I can find is Decisive Games was disbanded last year.

Oh @dariakus

I remember someone saying that earlier, and I haven’t seen anything saying they were disbanded. Care to link to that?

@Plasticcaz said:

@rhrmn said:

Oh @dariakus

I remember someone saying that earlier, and I haven’t seen anything saying they were disbanded. Care to link to that?

I’ll do you one better. Here’s the discussion about the topic on the Age of Empires II HeavenGames forum: Age of empires 4? - Age of Kings Heaven Forums

What about Robot Entertainment?

@Augustusman said:
What about Robot Entertainment?

They are busy with Orcs Must Die: Unchained.

@rhrmn said:

@Plasticcaz said:

@rhrmn said:

Oh @dariakus

I’ll do you one better. Here’s the discussion about the topic on the Age of Empires II HeavenGames forum: Age of empires 4? - Age of Kings Heaven Forums

Oh my… Thank you very much for the link. These are terrible rumours, but nothing official I see… I can think about some options:

1- Decisive Games was an unofficial name for some project/internal studio, and is now working ‘‘secretly’’ in some project with another name.

2- Decisive Games was focused in Age of Empires IV development, but it was an over-expensive and difficult project, and didn’t know how to focus a new AoE because of its playability based in modern war times. Because of that, Decisive Games disbanded.

3 (and most possible option to me)- Decisive Games was the first/original name given to the Age of Empires: Definitive Edition project, but after a while, The Forgotten did take the project and Microsoft Games abandoned Decisive Games because AoE: DE was already in good hands.

Microsoft has played developer roulette with the Age franchise over the last 4 years. I would really like to see them settle on Forgotten Empires as the preferred developer for Age franchise real-time strategy games on PC going forward.

I really hope Gamescon delivers as far as giving a future to the franchise.

I just hope it isn’t something lame like you can watch your Age of Empires replays on your xbox if you pay a monthly premium.

They tend to veer all their gaming announcements towards the Xbox…

The public: Can we have AoE4, please?

MS: We’ll do you one even better, as you play AoE2 HD on your pc you can use your xbox x as a toaster oven and even see what kind of sandwiches your friends are making live.

The public: We just really want AoE4.

MS: Okay, okay, we get…picture this…Angry Birds, but instead of birds you’re a trebuchet! Free to play!*

*(Credit card registration required for in-game microtransactions)

They have the resources at their disposal to make an award winning, viewer friendly RTS that could draw crowds on twitch and be tournament worthy. If you go on Twitch right now there is ONE traditional, base building RTS game in the top 30 being viewed at the moment and it is SC2 which is now over 100 hundred years old. Why? It’s not public taste…people still love RTS games, but no one makes good RTS games anymore…people in their 20s and 30s grew up in the golden age of base builders, SCBW, AoK, RoN, RA2 etc. We have cash and are hungry for a good game.

Twitch most viewed games goes as follows: FPS, MOBA, FPS, MOBA, MOBA, FPS, RPG, MOBA, MOBA, SIM, FPS, FPS, MOBA…and in position 30 an RTS game…

@Raw1812 said:
Twitch most viewed games goes as follows: FPS, MOBA, FPS, MOBA, MOBA, FPS, RPG, MOBA, MOBA, SIM, FPS, FPS, MOBA…and in position 30 an RTS game…

As much as we love them, keep in mind that RTS games aren’t for everyone. Some people simply find them too stressful.
Sure, those other games have big learning curves, but the RTS learning curve starts particularly steep, making it hard to get into. Not to mention that most people play games on consoles and phones, which are not known for RTS games.
That could be remedied with good tutorials, but in my personal experience most RTS games either let you figure out most of it on your own or they take an ungodly long time to teach you only a portion of how to play the game.

@Raw1812 said:
MS: Okay, okay, we get…picture this…Angry Birds, but instead of birds you’re a trebuchet! Free to play!
:smiley: that’s too real

Decisive Games never got off the ground and is no longer on the runway.

Age 4 will not take place in an era after that of AoE3.

Around and around we go.

@“Andy P” said:
Decisive Games never got off the ground and is no longer on the runway.

Age 4 will not take place in an era after that of AoE3.

Around and around we go.

I hope the announcement in 3 weeks finally closes the book on AoE IV discussions. It has been a long decade.

@the_choson_one said:

@rhrmn said:

@Plasticcaz said:

@rhrmn said:

Oh @dariakus

Oh my… Thank you very much for the link. These are terrible rumours, but nothing official I see… I can think about some options:

1- Decisive Games was an unofficial name for some project/internal studio, and is now working ‘‘secretly’’ in some project with another name.

2- Decisive Games was focused in Age of Empires IV development, but it was an over-expensive and difficult project, and didn’t know how to focus a new AoE because of its playability based in modern war times. Because of that, Decisive Games disbanded.

3 (and most possible option to me)- Decisive Games was the first/original name given to the Age of Empires: Definitive Edition project, but after a while, The Forgotten did take the project and Microsoft Games abandoned Decisive Games because AoE: DE was already in good hands.

But AoE: DE is not the next installment, so it can’t be the game they are supposedly working on.

Seems like they might have changed names to Indecisive Games, given the info we have flying around at the moment :wink:

There is no more Decisive Games. I know because I used to be part of Decisive Games.

If I said any more they’ll send out an elite sniper team to take me down. Or at least give me an atomic wedgie.