Any info about modding capabilities in AOE:DE?

For UPatch there is an easy way to install and create mods.

Is anything similar coming to AOE:DE?

Modding would be nice!

Highly interesting in potential modding - so far the UWP encryption is proving a pain - found a way to access the game files but not change them.

The main menu in the game has a button to open the game folder in File Explorer which allows for importing custom scenarios and other mods.

The Age of Empires website now supports uploading and sharing of custom scenarios. https://www.ageofempires.com/mods

I expect there will be a blog post about the website mod feature soon because it was has not yet been announced.

It would also be useful to be able to properly host custom scenarios as currently it won’t work - the map won’t transfer to the other players. :frowning:

@nottudwill said:
It would also be useful to be able to properly host custom scenarios as currently it won’t work - the map won’t transfer to the other players. :frowning:

In the old game, ALL Players have to have the map for it to work properly.
It’s probably the same way in the new one.

Get everyone to download the map and put it in the same folder, and I bet it will work

With the game being AOE:DE and with support for uploading and sharing scenarios and such I would have expected such a feature to exist especially as it is in the other Age of Empires games otherwise it makes playing multiplayer scenarios people have uploaded almost impossible.

I so hope we can have access to moding, but I can’t find where to vote!In a news I saw that they might give this option if enougth players ask, but where do we ask?

When it is able to modding, is the time you can see it on Steam.

Probably a good start for people would be to get used to working with the AI and PER files. It is a fun way to make your own versions of strats and get you into the mode of modding so when we can change empires.dat, ppl will have an idea of what to do

How do u read and create those files though?

@nottudwill said:
With the game being AOE:DE and with support for uploading and sharing scenarios and such I would have expected such a feature to exist especially as it is in the other Age of Empires games otherwise it makes playing multiplayer scenarios people have uploaded almost impossible.

Maybe they could add such option if you host your custom game dedicated?

I spoke to a gentleman from Microsoft at GDC and he claimed that if they promised mods, the support will be there, just look at Minecraft.
He was a good advocate for his company and had some good info, but somehow I’m not any more convinced than I was before.

Nominal mod support with small features? Yeah, we’ll have it. You can argue we have it already.
Modding capabilities and tools rivalling the open-source and user-made tools we had with AOE 1? I’d be very pleasantly surprised if the companies gave us anything approaching it.

Okay and when we can create mods like in AoE II:HD? Normally I need the compressed data-set, the language file and the folder with the graphics inside.

I would like more mod capabilities than just sharing maps - to me, that’s not modding, especially since they don’t seem to share correctly to multiplayer!