Aoe 2 DE 1 min Resign for no point loss

I guess I can understand that the meta for Black Forest is very different to other maps - I mean the settings are a bit different too explored vs standard fog. It’s also arguable that water maps are wildly different too.

I feel though that it’s always going to difficult to know which maps you could fairly ‘average’ the ratings over (average in the sense they both count toward the same elo).

At the same time though you kind of want as little numbers to mean the most possible they can - I would assume it would be unmanageable if you have a rating for every different map, maybe it’s reasonable to split ratings between open/closed/water-hybrid , maybe if these were separate map pools it might make other people that want to play only one type of map happier too.

1 Like

You are not really considering the other side of the coin in this scenario.

If I’m happily playing matchmaking, and players are quitting in the first minute because they don’t want to play the map (that they could have banned before queueing), these players are wasting my time by putting me back in the queue.

Previously, these players were circumventing the rules of the matchmaking system in order to play only their preferred maps instead of adhering to the 4 bans that they are allowed in the case of 1v1, as a developer, I would consider this an exploit, and I would fix it, just like they did.

Now, while I don’t disagree that there are issues that need to be addressed - be it in the way of a ranked lobby, or a better pick system for maps in MM - it’s still rude to just resign in the first minute because you didn’t like your map, or because your opponent picked a civ you don’t like playing against.

2 Likes

It isn’t an exploit. It’s been in the game for ages. Adjusting it to appease people who think it is only due to maps created more problems than it solved.

What other reason was there for this “feature”?

Improper map gens, the need for a timeout in case of an issue arising, bad loadout times (still happen in DE sometimes).

Add that to the matchmaking system that we have now and there is plenty of reason to keep it.

Doesn’t it sound like a lazy solution to keep this 1 min resign feature instead of actually fixing those issues? FWIW I think map gen issues are rare enough that this doesn’t really need to exist other than to appease the people wanting to quit out of matchmaking for reasons I believe to be illegitimate as stated in my earlier post.

I’m not sure what these issues are, specifically.

No, I don’t. I think the current state of matchmaking is lazy.

I can’t really say that I follow your logic on this one.

It’s the same as yours. Instead of fixing issues, they ignore them or focus on the wrong things. I loved the matchmaking system in the beta, until I realized that it meant that they wouldn’t improve it beyond the sloppiest map ban system that you could think up. They could have really made a great and dynamic system and they squandered it.

I don’t disagree. But how does the 1 minute resign rule make it better? Why not fix the root problem instead of adding a band-aid?

Speaking of which, what IS the actual solution to these problems? I’ve seen many alternatives posted in these forums (and others), and none of them address the problems in a way that works well in a matchmaking system, everyone just seems to want a carbon copy of voobly’s lobby system with matchmaking somehow shoehorned in.

Yes, I haven’t played BF a single time since my TG rating is over 1600. The pros always leave when they get the map. I’m forced to play their stupid open maps.

I miss being able to ctrl+tab to get out of a game - specially in TGs. For some reason I get teamed up with people 300-600 ELO below me, which suck for all involved. Additionally, allowing only ONE ban on TGs is completely ridiculous.

Current TG Map pool has onlye ONE open land map (Arabia). Cant stand to play another scandinavia or hillfort.

Now I have to alt+f4 which is just more time consuming – which I dislike doing but unfortunately the game doesnt give me the tools to have a fun and competitive match 3/5 times.

1 Like

The game has modernised, and I am happy for it.
If you want the Voobly ranked style, play Voobly. If you want to play DE, don’t play ranked.
I am sick of hearing this tired argument - It’s the same as only wanting to play Lockout Snipers in Halo. The ranked mode playing a diverse range of maps is more representative of skill level, and means players can’t just master one map and be 2K+.
In regards to the 1 minute resign, its a terrible idea. It means you can just resign at the start of a game if you know your opponent or don’t like the map without incurring an ELO loss.

2 Likes

Well, according to your logic they should remove all map bans, then. Maybe even remove the pool altogether and go full random on 150 maps. Should also remove civ selection, perhaps? How about a civ pool / rotation? Random game mode? The game has modernised, after all and ELO would be a true reflection of Age of Empires skill - true AoE skill, considering everything the game offers.

Exagerations aside, it is all about user experience. The fact that you can select certain aspects and not other aspects can be detrimental if the aspects you do not select are exactly what is more important to you. I would rather select map than civ, for example. Civs have lower variation whilst maps play completely different. Some days I am not interested in playing a RNG-based Nomad/MR or wallfests like Oasis, Arena, Scandinavia, BF – all currently on the TG Map Pool.

I am sure there are a lot of people interested in finding a quick Black Forest ranked game that has been ‘forced’ to use the horrendous lobby system because the #2 map (i think) has been removed from soloqueue.

My experience has deteriorated when some maps were added to the pool. I would like to be able to ban the maps I don’t want to play, that is all. If most players want to play a few maps, than allowing more bans improve the user experience for most players. If only a few players want to play a few maps, than it has no significant impact on matchmaking. Simple as that…

What has a bad effects on matchmaking is insta-resigning when I get into the game - which boosts someone by a dozen points and I get to play a weaker opponent next, plus both of us waste time and have to go back to queue.

2 Likes

11 you literally right