AOE 2 vs AOE 3 vs AOE 4 (Spoilers : All of them are great in one way or other)

Which game looks best doesn’t only come down to the taste
but also to the hardware of the user.
AoE4 is the only one that supports HDR for example but that only matters if you have an expensive HDR monitor.
While AoE2DE looks almost as good on low end machines as it does on high end ones.

Each game has their own strengths in visual design so that really comes down to taste.
Mods might help overcome those things though.

2 Likes

Also wonders in AOE4 can be rebuilt, but not in AOE-3. I would say this is better in AOE-4.

1 Like

Part of it is because of easy modability of AoE3, you can mix models and animations to create brand new units.

1 Like

to begin with, several have already said it here, it is obvious that aoe3 has the best graphics in the series, that is indisputable, the style of aoe 4 is cartoonish and not at all realistic, and no, it is not easy for me to adapt to aoe2 and not because of its mechanics, but because I’m not that type of player who prefers symmetrical civilizations, I prefer there to be diversity like in aoe3, and actually I prefer to play in the ancient age, the modern age or the Napoleonic era, so I would never play aoe4 because it’s just a aoe2 updated, and that’s frustrating because I thought they would adapt a new era.

9 Likes

They are so beautiful … we should continue jewel of empire mod as the game just reached a lot of new players

The problem is anything after AOE 3 era is not age of empires, its end of empires… Empires started to fall after 1880s. First it was Qing… then Habsbergs, Ottoman , Russian in ww1 and all empires fell in ww2 … So a Age of Empires game set in modern age would be very inaccurate… I would name the game something like “End of Empires” or “Fall of Empire”

1 Like

imo the core idea for age of empires in WW1 and 2 is the fact that an RTS of this kind for this very interesting time period doesn’t exist yet, COH is fundamentally different to the resource gathering portion even and not really what aoe audience wants in an RTS in that era, aoe people love large scale fights with 60+ individually controllable units, smt COH simply isn’t, its a good game in its own right, but its not what aoe audience seeks

Afaik the only proper RTS during the World Wars with AoE-style base building is Empire Earth which was made by Rick Goodman who worked on AoE 1.

3 Likes

The intentions of your post are pretty dirty…
You come to the part of the forum dedicated to aoe3DE, to overshow the other games in the franchise, completely biased and questionable, just when aoe3DE is gaining users and is having a decent marketing campaign.
For God’s sake… leave us alone!
Why do you come here to disturb and fucking bother us ?
Your post shouldn’t even be here, if you were to post such crap, post it in the “Off-Topic” not the “AOE3DE discussion”
you were extremely, ill-intentioned and unhappy with your post

With this kind of graphics, if I never knew AoE 4 and someone comes to me and tells me that there’s a new mobile game with this kind of graphics, I would’ve believed him 100%.

If you want to proof your point that “AoE 4 has the best graphics out of all the previous titles” it should at least have THIS quality:

instead we got this, from a multi billionaire company:

Stop defending them and this is coming from me who owns all the three games.

10 Likes

You have to understand why the art style and overall graphics looks like that in AOE4
AOE 4 was born as a competitive Esports RTS game.
Even official sources like the AOE 4’s Companion book shows this

2 Likes

i’d say perfect balance would be the following (spoilers, was already done in this very franchise, its called age of empires 3), manor lord kind of detail, but added color saturation and having an option to if desired, dial some of the eye candy back for more bare, but cleaner look for the competitive portion and lower end systems

also yes, the initial development direction, the esports first mentality didn’t help matters, i’m not saying ignore those folks (you shouldn’t because their requests on input latency and state of the art controls are too beneficial overall to ignore, even UI wise in terms of function they should be heard, just don’t ask them for UI art direction), but make a list of what each part of the community would be better at contributing, as stated, let esports crowd dictate controls, snappiness and UI feature set, let campaign makers decide on eye candy, editor, art direction meanwhile could be done as combined vote, and ofc people that prefer alternate modes, like diplomacy, make sure they’re heard too

5 Likes

I’d say, make a new game entirely. AoE 4 is too far gone at this point, since they originally built AoE 4 for esports only, let them have it.
They should instead, make a new game, entirely for casual players who just wouldn’t bother about extreme balance, absolute efficiency, and just go full all out fun with numerous campaigns, historical campaigns, heck they should implement their CoH 3’s Grand Campaign to this new game. Most importantly of course, polished and improved graphics & textures.

1 Like

based on both COH3 and AOE4, i’m not confident relic is a good fit for a new campaign, both are lacking at best as it currently stands
now on graphics

this is something thats there in og aoe games, but absent in 4
a proper snowy biome or map available

aoe2 example, not the full snow, but close enough

1 Like

I’m not saying it should be developed by Relic, but I take one of their good ideas (their grand campaign) to consideration. A Total War like grand campaign on an AoE game would be a time sinkhole if it’s implemented correctly.

2 Likes

One screenshot is a collection of Unity Asset Sore objects thrown together and the other one has an actual art direction.

Taste is subjective. AoE is not a simulator, it would look very wrong if it would combine its art style with realistic graphics.

A town with only 100 villagers that has a landmark church that can easily seat hundreds of people?

I think if the gameplay is not realistic enough the graphics need to be a little abstract.
Also readability and hardware support.

I don’t say AoE4 is perfect. I personally definitely prefer AoE3DE over all the other AoEs.
AoE4 has HDR support though which is nice but it has some issues. I gotta test it more to really judge it yet, I haven’t played much AoE4.

Tbh, aoe3 has unit idle animations too. And some great soud designs as well. Technically aoe4 audio might be better, because it is a modern game. But for example bombards sounds so flat in aoe4. Their is no impact in the sound of cannons. Whereas you feel the energy in aoe3 canon sounds. And the detail in sound. The terrain where the canon ball lands affects what sound plays. In land it will roll, near trees it will destroy trees and tree falling sound, near water you will actually hear water splashing sound. These details are sorely missing in aoe4.

14 Likes

AoE 3 also has the siege of Vienna and the siege of Rhodes…it also has the siege of Constantinople from both sides and the Third Crusade playing with Richard the Lionheart and the British, the 100 Years War, the conquest of Tenochtitlan, etc etc etc and then several customs historical maps such as the voyages of Vasco Da Gama and the American revolution…

P.S.:You should try AoEO too…

And also that there is more fauna and flora in the maps of 3, whereas those of 4 are practically empty…

It’s a bit unfair though, because AoE 4 doesn’t have American civs yet…

Yes, I saw them… maybe if AoE 4 had a day and night cycle, it would be a little more colorful…

It’s because Ensemble Studios took it out of Might and Magic 3, which was played a lot in the studio during the development of AoE 3…It’s a matter of getting used to it, consider the deck as a secondary addition to your civilization and the homecity as the capital of your empire, which you can customize to your liking, and which sends help to your colony/village in the New or Old World…play the AoE 3 tutorial (not the art of war, but the original tutorial) and you will understand it better…

It is because it is a mechanic that was first implemented in The Asian Dynasties in AoE 3 with the Asian civs of that expansion, with AoE 4 it was extended to all civs in the game, because AoE 4 comes after TAD in terms of development of the game saga, the Malians from AoE 4 take the automatic mines from the Ethiopians from 3 DE The African Royals and the Malian festivals are the Native ceremonies of The Warchiefs…so the only truly new thing from AoE 4 are the troops on the walls…

Yes, and that is the fifth version of a Relic engine, which makes games where the buildings literally fly to pieces…

Yes, I think the same, they should have followed the chronology, but Relic didn’t want to compete with CoH 3, so they reversed the saga until the times of AoE 2… I hope that as Relic’s next one it would have to be DoW 4,AoE 5 can be set in the 20th century without both games competing with each other…

Not necessarily, several empires continued to be maintained until the 70s and 90s, such as Spain (1975), Great Britain and Portugal (1997) and France today with French Guiana and French Polynesia…Japan has an emperor despite the fact that it has been a constitutional monarchy since 1947 and the United States, Russia and China are “economic super empires”, despite being republics…

Of course, it’s not exactly the same… and Battle of Empires, Western Front and Red Alert saga, it’s not quite what one is looking for…

Yes, Empire Earth 1,2, EDTMW (EE3 you don’t), Rise of Nations… I would add The Entente Battlefields: WW1 and Aggression Reign over Europe, although the first one is more like Cossacks and the last one is more like Empire Total War, but both set in the 20th century…

And something very very important: DO NOT SET IT IN THE MEDIEVAL PERIOD AND CONTINUE THE ESTABLISHED CHRONOLOGY OF ENSEMBLE…

2 Likes

I understand it, I just don’t like it. At least, I used to, since it’s been a while since I’ve played AoE3.

I want each game to be self-contained. None of that home-city stuff. You start your empire, you watch it grow, and succeed/fail. Again, it’s personal preference.