AoE DE, "completely revamped UI"

An excellent post by one of our moderators Andy P entitled "What we know":

https://forums.ageofempires.com/discussion/365/what-we-know/p1

Under sub heading “New Features” is what I’m salivating to see and soon; that is the “completely revamped UI”. What are you hoping to see changed in the new UI?

I’m expecting to see something similar to aoe2, with pop/pop-limit and idle keys etc readily avaliable. What I’m hoping though is that they go one step further, adding stuff like corresponding hotkeys being represented on each production icon (to help new players more easily get invested in playing efficiently)

@GepardenKalle said:
I’m expecting to see something similar to aoe2, with pop/pop-limit and idle keys etc readily avaliable. What I’m hoping though is that they go one step further, adding stuff like corresponding hotkeys being represented on each production icon (to help new players more easily get invested in playing efficiently)

I’m all for the hotkeys for each production icon.

A really needed addition is a center feature for hotkeys. If you bind a unit to ctrl group 1 in RoR when you select its group and press 1 again it doesn’t move the camera to its location. The same goes for idle villagers. You have to press ‘.’ and then manually select its location on the mini-map.

Ah, and I really would like to see age advancement indicated on the top of the UI like it is in AoE2. Checking your TC is irritating when trying to time certain builds.

I would like an optional feature that tells you how many villagers you have on each resource.

@Plasticcaz said:
I would like an optional feature that tells you how many villagers you have on each resource.

Yeah that was a feature of the score tab on econ settings in AoE2if memory serves.

I also wanted to mention easy military drag, as in drawing a selection box over your whole base will only select military units, not villagers.

I hope path seeking algo will be improved + some buildings like farms will become traversable. And of course AOE2HD like UI for interaction with units

I, for some reason, have this really strong desire to see farms become more lush and orderly for every farm upgrade you get. Not really UI related of course, except that you get graphics that reflect your current farm tech.

@GepardenKalle said:
I, for some reason, have this really strong desire to see farms become more lush and orderly for every farm upgrade you get. Not really UI related of course, except that you get graphics that reflect your current farm tech.

You mean like depicting stalks of corn 7’ high, scarecrows and such? :slight_smile:

@DiveDive3726 said:

@GepardenKalle said:

You mean like depicting stalks of corn 7’ high, scarecrows and such? :slight_smile:

They’ll have to include the Olmec civilization with corn though!! Pretty sure the Greeks didn’t have it.

Not going into great detail here, but better visibility on population limit and idle villagers are definitely coming.

@Cysion said:
Not going into great detail here, but better visibility on population limit and idle villagers are definitely coming.

@“Andy P” : Look at this! :smiley: Extra info revealed.

@Cysion said:

Yesss, the trickle of info is real!! haha…I am proud to say I was among the first to know :smiley:

Thanks, @KingDarBoja! Updated the What We Know thread.

Well I hope the revamped UI supports upwards of 4k resolution.

Personally, I’m hoping campaigns/scenarios will get triggers, so that they’ll have the same complexity in objectives as the AOE II campaigns/scenarios. Other than that, maybe a more advanced minimap, pop counter at top of screen, and an idle villager button.

@Sadee said:
Personally, I’m hoping campaigns/scenarios will get triggers, so that they’ll have the same complexity in objectives as the AOE II campaigns/scenarios. Other than that, maybe a more advanced minimap, pop counter at top of screen, and an idle villager button.

Triggers won’t be added.

Confirming that the trigger system from Age2 won’t be brought over.

@Cysion

Will the AI surrender once it has no army or economy or will it fight to the bitter end with a single storehouse like in Vanilla RoR? :lol:

@Raw1812 said:
@Cysion

Will the AI surrender once it has no army or economy or will it fight to the bitter end with a single storehouse like in Vanilla RoR? :lol:

The storehouse is mightier than the Xiphos - Hannibal Caesar the Great, 42BC