AoE DE disappointed me

xbox live acc. there you can Change your ingame name (first time for free then for $$$$) and your Avatar.

@ā€œteutonic tanksā€ said:
xbox live acc. there you can Change your ingame name (first time for free then for $$$$) and your Avatar.

thanksā€¦ I have age1 profile, then aoe forums profile, then microsoft account, then xbox live account. Jeez.

Yes i have Profil on this website, aoezone, voobly, xbox and microsoft acc 19

Being on Steam wonā€™t fix issuesā€¦ Youā€™d still have to create accounts, plus have a Steam account too.

As for changing names and avatar, itā€™s just like changing them in any other game client. If you know how to do it in Steam, you know how to do it on xbox :slight_smile: Pick carefully though, as xbox doesnā€™t like multiple free names changes. I picked something I can use in any game, though I guess youā€™re not going to look silly unless you specifically called yourself age of empires.

If you wanna change your ingame name, you can do that in steam aoe2HD for free and how often you want. In Aoe1 you canā€™t. You got can only change your Name once and then they want money for it. A joke.

@Penelinfi said:
I thought the acceleration was just an illusion. I guess you can test by having units walk across screen, one up hill, one down, and one on flat, too see if it does really speed up

Well, @sulphuric66 would be a valuable user to make a comment regarding this subject :slight_smile:

Well, as much as I loved the first aoe/RoR and the new HD is a blast to play I think the decision to make it win10 only will stop this game from becoming big again multiplayer wise.
The game just launched and multiplayers should be full.
While AoE2 on steam and voobly is alive and kicking while on AoE hd there is only a handfull of games :frowning:

@ā€œteutonic tanksā€ said:
If you wanna change your ingame name, you can do that in steam aoe2HD for free and how often you want. In Aoe1 you canā€™t. You got can only change your Name once and then they want money for it. A joke.

It stops people from hiding behind name changes. Pick a name carefully.

Admittedly, it is fun to call myself silly names in Game Ranger, but, no one knows who you are, and you can smurf yourself into newbie games etc. I suppose the one time change is to discourage bad behaviour, and also to stop people using offensive names etc.

These are Steam/MS Store issues, not Age of Empires.

I still canā€™t make a thread which is REALLY stupid so Iā€™ll ask here.

How the ā– ā– ā– ā–  do I change my in-game avatar? I changed the one on forums but in-game is the sameā€¦ see? ageofempires.com/stats/multiplayer/LiviuMarin

@MarceloMoura10 said:

Lots of fancy words, but the game still sucks. You said the focus was on multiplayer and was the first mistake you guys did. Back there in 1997 almost no one had internet and everyone remember the single player campaigns. On beta you guys had to lock single player as everyone just wanted to play that. And guess what, everyone plays only it now. Focus where the players are. The campaign AI is horrendously difficulty or extremely easyā€¦depends on how lucky you are. This should not be like that you can test yourselves not sit and wait the player (clients) to tell you what to fix.

As other guy said, you devs are too closed to suggestions anyway.

Actually, lots of people had internet in 1997. 1/3rd to 1/2 and even that seems low The Internet Circa 1998 | Pew Research Center Every kid in college at access to internet, and nearly every home was connecting day by day.

Thousands of players played AOE/ROR at Microsoftā€™s zone.com. It was a great multiplayer experience, with many game lobbies, a nice ELO ranking system and ability to chat and look for games. As gamers moved beyond single player games such as ā€œSim cityā€, ā€œCivilizationā€ and the like of the early 1990ā€™sā€¦Age of Empires was breaking ground in multi-player RTS (not to mention Blizzard games of that era). In the MMO gaming world, Ultima Online in (beta 1996) 1997 was popularizing that genre before Everquest crashed through the gates in 1999 (just as games such as Age of Empires were dying out).

So yeah, plenty of people were on the internet way back in 1997 and it was the dawning of a major change in single-player/home console games from the 1980ā€™s-to-mid-1990ā€™s, to multiplayer games hosted on servers at Zone.com or Everquest, etc, by 1997-1999.

Having said all of that, your point is still validā€”the multiplayer base for most RTS games is low. Multiplayers are, generally, louder voices on ā€˜balanceā€™ and ā€˜stabilityā€™ though, so donā€™t discount them.

We actually had better connections via dialup on zone.com than many games have on fibre today! The zone was amazing, and a great example of what Microsoft used to be capable of.

@LiviuMarin said:
I still canā€™t make a thread which is REALLY stupid so Iā€™ll ask here.

How the hell do I change my in-game avatar? I changed the one on forums but in-game is the sameā€¦ see? ageofempires.com/stats/multiplayer/LiviuMarin

You can change your Xbox Live avatar in the Xbox app on Windows 10.

@mvon007 said:
We actually had better connections via dialup on zone.com than many games have on fibre today! The zone was amazing, and a great example of what Microsoft used to be capable of.

The speed of your dialup or fibre connection has nothing to do with the capabilities of Microsoft, but all with the capabilities of your internet provider. The MSN Gaming Zone was a great era though and contributed heavily to online MP gaming.

AoE doesnā€™t need speed. It needs stability and consistency. Try using a LAN to the router. High ping and packet losses will add up and cause stutter/lag.

But imo yes they need a slightly better lobby area. Current one doesnā€™t allow proper communication with the people you just played against.

Would love to play this game, but some genius made it Windows 10 exclusiveā€¦

I upgraded my pc to Win10 only to play this game. I must say, aside from the AI path-finding, and lacking zoom level in the editor, I am very much pleased with this game.
The graphic alone made me very happy. And the implementations of smaller AoE2-like features but at the same time keeping it the same game feel, is a job very well done IMO.
I think a lot of people expected a new game, and I think itā€™s hard because on one side youā€™ ve got the old-school purists, and on the other hand the new-gamers whoā€™s first introduction to AoE was AoE2, and are still a bit spoiled by that. Iā€™m somewhere in between those, and I have my critiques on this version in comparison to the classic version.
But over all, I canā€™t complain too much, because I find it a miracle that they remade the game in the first place, and Iā€™m very thankful for experiencing that.

For the people whoā€™d like to see an evolved version or extended version of this type of game: check out 0ad. its quite mindblowing I must say.

I would be pleased, if I could play the gameā€¦ but instead Iā€™m here and trying to get 3 Comments to post my problemā€¦

Please note Iā€™m only speaking for myself here as a fan and owner of the game. Iā€™m no longer part of FE and have moved on to other projects. I feel bad that nobody ā€œofficialā€ is replying on the forum of such a classic and legendary title, so here I am. Iā€™m ex-Ensemble and I knew all the original developers well so Iā€™ll do my best. I can only really reply about the things I understood best in the engine.

On formations:
There just wasnā€™t enough time to add formations or massively rewrite pathing last year. We would have loved to have done so, but it just wasnā€™t doable in the schedule. Resurrecting Age1, improving and optimizing the graphics, improving the AI, porting the code to 64-bit and UWP and rewriting the multiplayer code was a huge task for a very small team.

Near the end, we did figure out how to allow the units to seemingly pass through each other (by dynamically setting their collision radii to very small values). It took a lot of work and experimentation by a couple devs to figure out how to do this without completely breaking the game. We only enabled it on vills because allowing military units to pass through each other was too risky.

On multiplayer:
Iā€™ve played another few dozen hours of MP in the past couple months or so (72 hours MP total). Overall, I would say 8/10 of the games feel great. Iā€™ve had a ton of 6 and 8 player games and they were fine. Age uses an ā€œold schoolā€ peer to peer system and is quite sensitive to lag and packet loss. I have a very good hardwired net connection - if you use wifi I would expect your experience to suffer if you have any packet loss.

I rewrote most of the multiplayer code and did what I could to make it work well (while juggling out of syncs and pathing/movement!). It uses packet compression, forward error correction on most packets, a custom reliable messaging system, and a bunch of other tricks that the original game didnā€™t have. But nothing can be done if one or more players have crappy connections. Remember, unless the ā€œuse dedicated hostā€ checkbox is clicked, every packet has to be sent to every other client in the system in real-time with little to no lag, or the entire game will hitch for everyone until the packets can get through. Hit Alt+M while playing and you can see all the MP statistics. (Hit Tab then Alt+M while in the game lobby to see the same page.)

Before you start a game, look at the ping matrix. If itā€™s all green with maybe some yellows, it should be a good game. If thereā€™s any red, or if the colors change a lot to yellow or red, itā€™s probably going to be a choppy game. The ping matrix unfortunately doesnā€™t help you understand if thereā€™s much packet loss to/from a particular player, but itā€™s a good start.

On out of syncā€™s:
Iā€™ve had a tiny handful of OOSā€™s since the game was released. Around 1-2. Iā€™ve played many dozens of games. Ageā€™s OOS rate is much lower than most other RTSā€™s Iā€™ve played. Iā€™m surprised how reliably it is, actually.

On ELO:
Thereā€™s definitely code for ELO in the codebase. I donā€™t know the status of it though. I suspect it just needs a little love to finish up.

BTW - Whatā€™s interesting, is at Valve you were well rewarded for interacting with the community and fan base of your product. Not all companies understand how important this is like Valve does, unfortunately. Somebody needs to up their game and start replying to the customers of this title.

6 Likes

Thank you for the contribution, that was an interesting information! Letā€™s hope that we might have an ELO rating anytime soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Use upatch, kid. No necessary additional stuff

1 Like