AoE DE disappointed me

Thanks for your insights. really appreciate it.

2 Likes

Thank you for tour insights

1 Like

Thanks for your contribution, posts from devs became very rare on this game…

2 Likes

Oke you guys do realise this game is from 1997 and its just a remaster its litterally took the game and gave it available for the 64 consoles.
It is the counter to Warcraft 2 and trust me
That Blizzard with Warcraft 2 was back then FAR better at making stratagies
Primarily to their previous stratagy game Warcraft 1.

Microsoft had 0 Experience when it came to making stratagy games thats why 1 is so inferior to 2
Its for me a nostagalia aspect at most and summoncing exploding babys and big bertas

I forgot how hella fun that was

Same team/studio made AoE1 and 2.

But I agree, Blizzard RTS are other thing, higher scale.

yes i know and im quite sure that same team also did AoM
And AoE 3 was a different team. Correct me if im wrong tho cause im not 100% sure about this.

But even tho their quite differnt in scale true their both very similar RTS games
And we havent had a good new RTS game in a looooooooooooooooooooong time.
I think AoE 3 was the last one.

Warcraft tho was always 1 step ahead of them. First one to create the RTS in how we know it now.
■■■■ warcraft 1 you could only select 1 unit at the time xD
And people are complaining about AoE 1’s movement

Warcraft 2 fixed alot being able to use 9 units at once (the scale is alot smaller so having 9 units was more then enough back then) having great visuals that still look decent these days while aoe 1 and 2 look kinda ■■■■. But thats more complementing to the art style
Warcraft 3 first to use 3D rendering in a RTS being able to turn around your charracters and zoom in closely seein them work revolutionary.

Then the big thing microsoft brought in AoE3 which was huge in my eyes was breakable buildings. You shoothing through a building and a part of that buildings just falls off was not just great looks but super satisfactory.

I know AoE 4 wil be big no mather if it comes to steam or not
Since Starcraft is the only blizard francise that is stil an RTS but its alot less popular then Warcraft.
As long as there wont come a Warcraft 4

Microsoft got this with AoE 4

We had Starcraft II since AoE3, and C&C3, Red Alert 3, Supreme Commander.

In War1, you could use Control to select up to 4 units :slight_smile:

Don’t forget Total Annihilation that was 3D in 1997.

AoE3 was cool but it didn’t keep me long as the other AoE.

Age of Empires Online was also cool.

For Warcraft 4, it’s unlikely, but not impossible :slight_smile:

AoM was the great one.
The one i still keep comming back to

And yes i know about those but those are all Futuristic RTS and i do not count those.
Scifi RTS is its own genre.

I love history or going back in time if its Fantasy or Not.
People that have that usually have the same feelin as me and dont feel much for the Scifi RTS
While alot of the real Scifi Rts lovers tend to not go for AoE and Warcraft and the likes.

But honestly i think AoM was the best AoE series ever.
And i wish they made a AoM 2 xD

Edit: Also Total Annilhilation was as much 3D as AoE 1…
All make believe they just used a couple more 2d sprites then most but it wasnt 3D
It was smart thing tho not actual 3D models im quite sure the first one to pull that of properly was Warcraft 3

Source: https://totalannihilation.wikia.com/wiki/Total_Annihilation_3D
The goal of TA3D is similar to The Spring Project - to recreate Total Annihilation in actual 3D, as the original used isometric 3D (3D models in 2D). The difference between TA3D and Spring is that while Spring is a game engine based on Total Annihilation, TA3D is the original Total Annihilation game but with improved graphics and additional features.

Edit Edit,
Warcraft 3 wasnt the first but was the one that perfectioned it as we use it today.
First one to do this tho was: Earth 2150 a Scifi RTS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_2150

‘Also Total Annilhilation was as much 3D as AoE 1…’

TA was actually three-dimensional; AoE was 2D in isometric projection.

1 Like

Nope.

It’s still isometric projection, only combined with orthographic projection to create multiple viewpoints and be able to rotate the views.

A flat computer screen can never become a real fish bowl except for the discussion about it. That could become a fishbowl conversation in Flatland for sure

4 Likes

For me Age1 is 2D and Total Annihilation 3D. I remember making units through a 3D editor, every unit has ‘infinite’ point of views when it rotates, which is not the case on Age1’s sprites.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly, and remember the ‘3D’ appearance of the units, including the way aircraft turned in mid-air.

if it walks like a duck, etc.

1 Like