AOE:DE (graphics)

So I’m gonna get right into this and question some of the graphical choices and explain why how it could be more attractive than I currently see it.

::Water::
+The water is beautifully reflective and pleasant on a cloudy day. Great.
-The water behaves as if there’s a mild storm going on out on the open water. If it’s a lake, river or a sea, it’s all the same. It’s moving way too much, because the trees arent bending in the wind, this makes no sense at all and it’s really disturbing.
-Shorelines are extremely generic and gives no feel of depth or elevation

::Resources::
a) +The trees look very nice how they stand together, the jungle is especially impressive
-The trees when they fall become a neat and tidy woodpile, and the original aoe-look of a chopped down tree is far superior and logical. Why would you continue to chop on a neatly chopped woodpile? Just carry it away.
b) -Resources are quite difficult to distinguish from the regular terrain to my eyes. I can do it, of course, but it doesn’t come by instinct.
The Berries on the bushes should be more red, and the bushes should look slightly more different than the trees nearby, unless they’re supposed to be apple trees with very dark red apples.
The Fish in the water should make themselves more apparent, in aoe they splashed the surface. Stone- and goldpiles seem extremely flat and indistinguishable.
+The cliffs look pretty good, in certain positions they really look like you get a view over the treelines from up there.

::Buildings::
+Some buildings look fancy
-Buildings just blend into the terrain way too much. All buildings need more sharpness and less blur, and pits/grannies need proper borders that hint the extents of their drop-off zones

::Units::
They all move like they’re apathic and have no goal. No will. They all travel around the map like hunchback zombies.

Overall the graphics make the game look very flat, and un-Zen. The major idea is that everything needs a certain distinctiveness like in the original aoe, instead of being blurred out.
A berrybush is not a tree. A stonepile is not a rockpile (it’s a special type of useful stone). A fish is not water. A shoreline is not grasslands. A shallow was indicated by having plants growing from the riverbottom, and it was brilliant and full of contrast.
Aoe was the most detailed and well animated game in the entire series, with the best contrasts on the map, and absolutely fantastic battle and movement maneuvers. This is something you should embrace and analyze extra hard in order to make a great game.
The recipe for success is to recycle what is already amazing, fix all the annoying stuff and bugs, and add great features that were not conceived of at the time.
What makes me hesitant about aoe:de is that a lot of stuff seem to be made uglier and redone in worse ways just for the sake of redoing it. Only make a change if it actually makes it superior.
Good luck

Apparently, I cannot post a new discussion on this forum without commenting on others, so I will comment in the hopes I get listened to. I am a very old AoE customer, born in 1988, my father bought AoE when it came out in 1997 and my mother used AoE as an educative tool to make me learn history. It worked, I am a big history buff now and a AoE fan, Bought all the games in the series, including buying back AoE II HD. I resent the fact I have to post in other people’s posts before I can actually post my comments on the newly released DE… I mostly disagree with this forum poster. Most of the stuff is actually better looking than in the original, from my point of view, but I would have tried to get the attention of the team on one specific subject. When units get killed, instead of rotting away, they just disappear in the new version. I really like the attention to detail, AoE: DE has brought to building destruction, but the unit corpses just disappear now, rather than decompose. Maybe it’s just a nitpick, but I really found it neat when the dead units in AoE would putrefy before becoming skeletons, before disappearing. It was maybe a slight detail, but a neat one, that disappeared with AoE:DE. I hope someone will respond to me.
Jean-Sébastien Matte, a very old fan of the series.

moi je dirait quil foudrait remettre les chateau trebucher les porte surtout .
sinon les ancienne campagne remasterisé serais le bienvenue

@“Lt Matte” said:
Apparently, I cannot post a new discussion on this forum without commenting on others, so I will comment in the hopes I get listened to. … I resent the fact I have to post in other people’s posts before I can actually post my comments on the newly released DE… … I hope someone will respond to me.

It’s an anti-spambot measure. Those things were pretty annoying, and just being kind of interested in the discussions already going on and giving your opinions on things more people have been thinking about before posting your own threads honestly doesn’t seem like that big a hurdle.

Welcome to the forum.

graphics great - text unreadable…tiny, fuzzy and indistinct at recommended settings - certainly one doesn’t have to alter overall Win 10 settings just to play this game