Earlier today at the Xbox E3 2019 briefing a first look at AoE II: DE was presented in a teaser trailer. For answers to all your AoE II: DE questions, please see the F.A.Q. below which will be updated regularly as more info is announced. If you have a question which is not on the F.A.Q. please leave a comment below.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is new with the definitive edition of the game?
- What is the game engine?
- Will there be animated blood?
- Will there be mod Support for Steam and the Windows Store?
- Will cheat units have updated graphics?
- What are the minimum system requirements?
- What system is used for multiplayer?
- Will there be support for Steam features?
- When will the game be available on Steam?
- How much will the game cost?
What is new with the definitive edition of the game?Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition celebrates the 20th anniversary of one of the most popular strategy games ever. Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition includes entirely new content and many exciting gameplay improvements. This edition contains all previously released Age of Empires II content, as well as brand new civilizations, additional campaign missions, new graphics that support up to 4K resolution, fully remastered audio and Xbox Live support for multiplayer, including all-new achievements. Not to mention, the edition features quality-of-life upgrades such as automatic farm reseeding to take the game you already know and love to the next level.
- The Last Khans campaign: Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition includes brand-new content, “The Last Khans” with three new campaigns and four new civilizations.
- New civilizations: Four new civilizations are being added exclusively to Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition : the Bulgarians, Cumans, Lithuanians and Tatars, bringing the total number of civilizations in the game to 35.
New spectator mode and tournament features: Players will be able to spectate multiplayer games in real time and switch between each player’s view, with overlay UI on top to give spectators information on different players’ status.
What is the game engine?To be announced. It is assumed that the Genie engine was updated to create the definitive edition, similar to Age of Empires: Definitive Edition.
Will there be animated blood?To be announced. It is assumed that the game will have animated blood at a later date, same as Age of Empires: Definitive Edition. Fear not, vampires.
Will there be mod support for Steam and the Windows Store?All mods will go through ageofempires.com to make sure all mods are available to both MS Store and Steam players.
AoE 2: HD mods can be converted for the Definitive Edition via a tool provided by Forgotten Empires.
Will cheat units have updated graphics?Yes! Source
What are the minimum system requirements?
- Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
- OS: Windows 10 64bit
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon 64x2 5600+
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 420 or ATI™ Radeon™ HD 6850 or Intel® HD Graphics 3000 or better
- DirectX: Version 11
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Storage: 30 GB available space