The devs did a good job with the game. However it still needs a lot of work. So far my biggest issue is with disconnections. Its 2020 you should have the option to reconnect to a game. Dota 2 is a great example of how this works. Game crashed, Internet went out for 3 or 4 mins. You have 5 mins minimum to be able to get back into the game without any negative impact. Just today I have had 3 ranked games “ended” because of a disconnect. The saddest part is these connection issues are so small that discord doesn’t even disconnect. I could still hear/talk to my teammate on discord while the game “attempted” to reconnect. There should even be a penalty system for people that fail to reconnect like rage quitters. Back in the original aoe3 when you were connecting pcs together without dedicated servers this was a different story. However now we have dedicated servers this option should have been a no brainer. Having someone lose a connection in a multiplayer game is not just an inconvenience for you but ruined the gaming experience for the rest of your team as well.
I will however applaud the devs for the ranking system. Having ranked in a search function is probably the best step they could have done. Finding a game in the original game was like getting your teeth pulled. The planets had to align before the game would be run.
- Ranking search (just needs more players to make it more fair)
- Dedicated Servers
- Actually getting balances.
- No issues connecting to other players.
- No player profiles. (can’t even share your home city decks to discuss changes)
- Searching. (The host searching should be able to leave the search tab without canceling the search)
- Improved Ranking. (I hope they bring back the ladder/metal systems like Eso That added competitiveness)
- The lobby browser is a mess and half the time breaks when you try to arrange it.
So far this is a step in the right direction. However I believe the devs missed out on a lot of basic factuality and instead spent more time on adding content. Get the games base working first and the rest will come with balance changes and shifts.