AOE4 Concept idea #1: Religious units

Aoe4 will probably come very late and that’s fine. I hope they make a proper game. Also it needs to have lots of defining features that makes it different from Aoe2. So I’ll gradually share certain concepts that I think will be great. Any constructive feedback will be much appreciated. Here are my concept idea on religious units.

1. Relics are present in this game and you can capture it with any monks units. Once you capture it, it automatically becomes yours. If you store it in a temple it’ll give you gold. Various other campaign relics can grant even more bonus. You can also use your monk to carry the relics as symbol in battle. They have an area of influence where it can boost your units health.

2. Religious units is a special units that you can create in your temple besides monks. Unlike other military units they have two features,
    *The number of relics under your command will determine the number of religious units that you can create. If you have one relic, you can create three of them. If they die you can replace them but if you lose your relic you can’t replace them anymore.
    *They can’t be converted. However they can’t convert either. They also automatically attacks enemy monks and have extra attack against them. Also they have an area of influence that makes it harder for enemy monks to convert your units.

Different faction can have different religious units.
Christian factions will have Crusader knights (heavily armoured Knight) while Muslim factions get Gazi warriors (Lightly armoured with very fast speed ans good attack speed). Eastern faction gets warrior monks (very fast light infantry that are excellent against other infantry). Nomad faction like Mongols won’t get them as they never used Religious units as as warriors.

So this is my idea on it. Please, Share your thoughts on it.

9 Likes
  1. This sounds great for a mod or similar to what already exist with various treasures. Alot of fun can be had with capturing, eco-booming & wielding these relics.
input

For the standard game, its a little too extravagent/specific (more important stuff to remember). But if the boost is 1- 5%, then it would be a slight opportune boost, just right.
The whole ’booming-turtle’ feature would get autowrecked, you’d need to have a Relic which befalls only the player who -isn’t looking for relics- or automaticallt befalls player who inflicts lowest amount of resource casulty on the regions resources.

——
2. I like the idea for Religious units.

In the past, I began writing up therycrafts for various civilisations and the same thought about ‘religious units’ came to mind.
At that time as I looked through religious units applications;
I saw it as a means to physically impose the civilisation onto others much quicker, already in Age I, though mainly in teamgames. The Church/religious building could for free through card summon a batch of these units, so by building a forward church, the team could cause some havoc quickly.

Maybe one or some civilisations can even have these religious units progress alongst the ages and/or unlock additional religious units.

Compensating is a hassle though

Fun idea.

1 Like

I don’t think relics will be necessary in AOE4, it worked in AOE2 but seems a little outdated now.

I love the idea of religious units going into battle to boost moral and give bonuses etc. Though I don’t think there should be any actual relic type item, but more so a special unit. Say for example, a church can sustain just one priest. You can’t make 100 of them, just the one. You have two churches and you can make two. That makes these guys special and they have special abilities to suit. Whether thats giving a moral boost, attack/defence boost, or some other bonus.

I don’t think relgious units should be the ones to heal injured units, hopefully we have apothecaries for that.

I like the idea of having different objects on the maps which grant you a bonus. Like the relics in AoE2 or the trade routes in AoE3.

lol have you also watched the spirit of the law video? because he said that this was meant to be implemented in AoE2 but then they decided against it.

This feature doesn’t convince me. It sounds like the features they explored in AoE3 - the saloon, the native americans, the home town, etc. AoE3 had fun parts but these not straight forward unit possibilities where highly confusing especially because they didn’t have that big impact. Im really happy with the design of AoE 2 where you know exactly what your possibilities are.

By the way, minor misquote there. Not my quote! :smile:

lol im sorry:D fake news everywhere… spreaded by ruthless communist forum members like me…

but relic entertainment is making the game, it just seems too god to pass up!

good idea, i feel in aoe4 though, when someone resigns they should be converted to the enemy, as if you captured the land

Your idea kind of reminds me of Theocrat Class by Age of Wonders 3.
https://age-of-wonders-3.fandom.com/wiki/Theocrat

Classes do offer addional Tech for Each faction. So like you have orc or elf, but with a class you get Steam Punk or Undead units.
https://age-of-wonders-3.fandom.com/wiki/Classes

maybe we could implement it as some kind of additional tech trees?

Like Theocrat/Religion focus,
and you get as new resource “faith” to buy Religious units and upgrades?

I think we could add as “replacement” or additional, some other classes that do fit more a historical setting.

like Warlord, so you get more barbarian units
Trader, so you get more mercenaries
Rogue, so you get more pirates, assassins and thieves

Love it except claiming relics once captured. Just because you’ve had it shouldn’t mean other players don’t get the opportunity to steal it from you. Cultures stealing other civilizations artifacts is evidence by: ALL OF HISTORY.
Other than that, good stuff, I think a lot can be done with the Religious Dynamic, Saracens having a special “Imam” Unit for instance.
But please… don’t limit yourself just to health bonuses for carrying relics across the battlefield… baby, your just punishing me…
Here’s my thoughts:
Different Relic types across the field with different perks (Attack, Defence, Speed of Attack etc)
Certain Relics (Perhaps through mods may be best) giving greater boosts to certain civs (crucifixes for Christian Civs, Idols for others etc)
Maybe Petards should come out of monastaries… :wink: