AoE4 is amazing, but I'm afraid to try out the older games

I started playing AoE4 basically immediately after launch because I saw it while scrolling through the PC Gamepass. I love it so much that I was playing it for hours and hours a day for a couple weeks after its release. I’ve been awaiting the custom maps and mods ever since, but I’ve been thinking recently about how I haven’t tried any of the older ones. When I started thinking about it though, I became worried they might ruin my opinion of the new one. Not trying to sound like an intimidated little kid here, but to be fair that’s completely what it sounds like. So in everyone’s honest opinion should I go back and try out the other ones? Or maybe a different RTS game similar to the AoE games?

You all have my thanks for swift replies, and your advice has been well received! :heart:

1 Like

I believe they all have their strengths and weaknesses and that you should try the older ones, I don’t believe they will taint your view of this one.

I realize a lot of us here seem like we hate this iteration and reference the older ones a lot, it’s not that we (or most of us at least) think age 4 is bad, we just are trying to help development via (hopefully) constructive criticism for the development team to go off of.

I think it’d be good for you to see a lot of these things older players are talking about, maybe you’ll end up agreeing with some of our takes.

But either way, all age games are well worth any time spent playing them

Edit: idk about age online tho don’t quote me there

5 Likes

I would certainly recommend that you check out other games in the series not only because they are fun but you’ll have a better understanding on what bits in Age of Empires IV were inspired by previous entries in the franchise.

9 Likes

in eao2 you lock yourself in with buildings, the castles are very strong, you don’t win for sacred sites. i prefer the age4 the above is obsolete.

1 Like

AoEIIIDE is a must have. Phenomenal game.

5 Likes

Aoe2 DE is a truly incredible game. You will not be dissapointed.

5 Likes

I would give the other games a try, especially since your on game pass, definitely try AoE 3 DE, best in the series IMO.

2 Likes

AoE2 DE is by far the best in the series, I think, and is definitely worth playing.

2 Likes

aoe2 is a superior game. no discussion needed to prove it

play it, i don’t care!

2 Likes

Edit: idk about age online tho don’t quote me there

Well, you can play AoE:O completely for free over at https://www.projectceleste.com/ - I love all the age games but AoE:O is honestly my favorite. I think there’s a lot of dated opinions from when people were paying the freemium version of it that are no longer valid with the game going fully free (and having to stay fully free to be within MS’ Game Content Usage Rules).

2 Likes

While I appreciate it I am absolutely turned away by the art style, looks like a mobile came I couldn’t take myself seriously trying to play it.

Yea I hear that occasionally. I can’t argue with taste; I will say that I think the art style really helps with playability - you can tell units/buildings apart really well, you get a lot of screen real estate, etc.

2 Likes

The art style is the only problem with AoeO. The civ design, tech tree, humour and complexity is what Aoe4 lacks

2 Likes

its all opinon really, the original is looking very dated now gfx and control wise.

AOE 2 DE is still great
AOE 3 DE looks good, but personally i think its the worst in the series.
Age of Mythology - looks pretty dated but is fun and a totally different experience to all the others.

I’d suggest maybe try AOE2 DE and if you like try others.

1 Like

Play Aoe1 and have tons of fun